DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Performing a Nav Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Okay so I'm 90% through the nav retrofit from Business to Professional. Replacing the iDrive controller from inside the center console was by far the worst thing I've ever done on a car. The only saving grace is that it wasn't greasy at least!

But I got through that. Now I'm hooking up the new CCC and run into the next problem. The LVDS cable is keyed differently than the one on the CCC unit itself.

I've attached a picture to show what the problem is. Is the LVDS cable I have the wrong one?? It connected to the new larger screen just fine so I'm not sure what I'm having a problem with the CCC side. Is it possible that I can just shave off the key and connect it anyway?

I'm 6 hours into the job...
Attached Thumbnails Performing a Nav Retrofit-conn_problem.jpg  
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='738584' date='Dec 5 2008, 10:18 AM
Okay so I'm 90% through the nav retrofit from Business to Professional. Replacing the iDrive controller from inside the center console was by far the worst thing I've ever done on a car. The only saving grace is that it wasn't greasy at least!

But I got through that. Now I'm hooking up the new CCC and run into the next problem. The LVDS cable is keyed differently than the one on the CCC unit itself.

I've attached a picture to show what the problem is. Is the LVDS cable I have the wrong one?? It connected to the new larger screen just fine so I'm not sure what I'm having a problem with the CCC side. Is it possible that I can just shave off the key and connect it anyway?

I'm 6 hours into the job...
I bought the correct LVDS cable for my retrofit. Dr. Dave seems to think otherwise. Perhaps he shaved the cable?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='738586' date='Dec 5 2008, 07:20 PM
I bought the correct LVDS cable for my retrofit. Dr. Dave seems to think otherwise. Perhaps he shaved the cable?
It's listed in the kit he sold, I just overlooked checking for it when it arrived. It must have been accidentally left out of the box. I'm going to check my mechanic tomorrow to see if he has one laying around or can at least borrow one from another car to do my software update. That way when it comes in I'll just slap it in and be done .

I've also read a lot of people saying the car needed to be on the same software as the new CCC was going to be updated to, before the retrofit. I sure as hell hope that's not the case. The reason I'm upgrading is because my old M-ASK was hosed and wasn't taking software updates at all! I dunno, I've got a bad feeling about all of this..

And to think - I started down this road just because I wanted my iPod adapter to work... what a long strange trip it's been.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='738710' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:46 PM
It's listed in the kit he sold, I just overlooked checking for it when it arrived. It must have been accidentally left out of the box. I'm going to check my mechanic tomorrow to see if he has one laying around or can at least borrow one from another car to do my software update. That way when it comes in I'll just slap it in and be done .

I've also read a lot of people saying the car needed to be on the same software as the new CCC was going to be updated to, before the retrofit. I sure as hell hope that's not the case. The reason I'm upgrading is because my old M-ASK was hosed and wasn't taking software updates at all! I dunno, I've got a bad feeling about all of this..

And to think - I started down this road just because I wanted my iPod adapter to work... what a long strange trip it's been.
the software version depends on what system is doing the retrofit. If you're using progman, yes, it matters. if you're using one of the aftermarket products, you'll be fine. that's what Dave did. I had no choice but to use the dealer, so I had the update done first, then went back for the retrofit coding.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='738710' date='Dec 5 2008, 06:46 PM

Hey dirksqjaw

Just take a Stanless knif , and modify the male connector so it fits the male on the CCC , will worke fine I have done this myself as I opgraded from Business to Nav. Prof.

The CCC is that a new one , or come it from another E60/61 ? , if not new un-coded , you can get trouble when trying to opdate/code it.

Is have you changed the men? botten aswell ? , if you want voice control you have to change this to , as well you have to mount a extra microfone.

Good luck with the project , toms up
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='738710' date='Dec 5 2008, 06:46 PM

Hey dirksqjaw

Just take a Stanless knif , and modify the male connector so it fits the male on the CCC , will worke fine I have done this myself as I opgraded from Business to Nav. Prof.

The CCC is that a new one , or come it from another E60/61 ? , if not new un-coded, you can get trouble when trying to opdate/code it.

Is have you changed the men? botten aswell ? , if you want voice control you have to change this to , as well you have to mount a extra microfone.

Good luck with the project , toms up
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Contributors

sorry dirk, i did omit to send the LVDS cable i can pop it in the post if you still need it.
ben is correct i just shaved off the alloy/tin bump and it plugs straight in.
you should not have any dramas with programing...have faith and see when its all connected.

keep me in the loop.
regards
david.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributors

call me if you have any problems.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Okay I shaved it off and it seemed to have worked fine. No sound comes from the radio and none of my steering wheel buttons function at all, but other than that... I drove it into my Mechanic for programming, he's going to give me a ring after lunch and let me know how it went.

There was that one little cable that came with the kit that went to the CAS (wtf is a CAS anyway?) that I didn't bother installing - could that explain the lack of button functionality? Oh and where the hell is the maintenance menu in the new iDrive? The new iDrive force feedback thing is pretty slick, I have to say.

Eid Al Adha starts tonight so if the programming doesn't work, I won't have my car back for about a week.

Eid Mubarak to everyone.

Will post pictures and my notes from the install in a DIY later, when my hands stop hurting .
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Contributors

it should not have affected the steering wheel buttons at all? but you do say no sound from the radio?? could there be a connecter off there? that would affect the steering wheel (entertainment buttons) controls.
prehaps when your original MAS-K went up in smoke it damaged something else related? just a thought.

Quick Reply: Performing a Nav Retrofit