DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Passenger Airbag Disabled Warning / Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
OK, so the light you put out is the warning light on the iDrive screen and NOT the overhead light (Yellow/orange). I'm being told that if the light up top is not operating correctly it can be caused by the leather as in my case. It's just an advisory light that tells you that the seat thinks someone is in it or not. If the light in the iDrive screen is illuminated which required a reset through the OBD to remove, this is telling you the sensor is faulty and one really doesn't know for sure what the airbag will do (deploy or not). My guess would be the fail-safe side of the the system would at least ensure that it would deploy regardless.
Ah I understand, yea my overhead light seems to work fine but its very very sensitive. And I do have the dash airbag light which i reset and it never came on until recently and I am tired of it. So hoping when I disable the OC3 in NCS, it won't bug me anymore and the bags will be operational still.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by tonyb635
OK, so the light you put out is the warning light on the iDrive screen and NOT the overhead light (Yellow/orange). I'm being told that if the light up top is not operating correctly it can be caused by the leather as in my case. It's just an advisory light that tells you that the seat thinks someone is in it or not. If the light in the iDrive screen is illuminated which required a reset through the OBD to remove, this is telling you the sensor is faulty and one really doesn't know for sure what the airbag will do (deploy or not). My guess would be the fail-safe side of the the system would at least ensure that it would deploy regardless.
No bro the light overhead is gone, so is the instrument cluster and idrive message. Should be anyway.
It's not going to affect AB deployment because the occupancy is overridden. Therefore it's always going to be on. Of course I remember yours is different that's why i put that in the first post but I am sure we can find out how to rid that. lol
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Bumping just to ask a question about this fix.

I just bought my car and it seems to have the seat mat problem going to confirm on Monday at the dealer(so im out $145 already), but the they have already said my vin doesnt into the recall. if things fall through and BMW does not fix the problem this just makes the car believe somebody is in the seat at all times? And if so the seat belt chime will it go off constantly or what will happen with that?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

" AchtungE60 "
Where are you located ? Asking cause would like for you to do that update for me of the restraint system & Air bag . Let me know
Old 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I just finished helping a member do some updating on his EGS (tranny software) and he told me he had an airbag warning for some time. He read it out with DIS and it was the SBSR (passenger for U.S. vehicles) and he was told by dealer that his vehicle doesn't fall under the recall.
I believe he tried to wire in one of those Seat Mat Sensor Bypass things but it didn't workout.

I don't have a photo of the actual code in the Instrument Cluster (maybe someone can provide). As I understand the "passenger airbag is off" light by sunroof is actually dependent on year and modules of vehicle...I think member tonyb635 stumbled upon this while seeking info for his issue.

If you want to code out the error so it does not continually pop up, it will shut the seat mat sensor detector off. This will not mess with the airbag or deployment, it will just tell the sensor not to check for the weight of the person etc etc..

Modulle: SBSR

OC3_SBSR
nicht_aktiv

We have verified several times that it works. All you need is a cable and NCS. We both have the EUAutoHaus cable. Inpa Ediabas: Diagnostic Tools / Equipment | eBay
We both have the entire software package but if you just want cable it's up to you. After dealing with other software from here and there and errors I finally threw in the towel!
Does this come with the software too.. I'm a little confused. Do you have instructions on how to do this reset. Thanks