DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Other than the Sprint booster what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told good things about the Sprint Booster. Just wanted to know if there was an ECU chip, or programmer, or box for my 2004 530i that will give me more power. I know the sprint booster doesn't give you horse power. If there's other options, how much $ am I looking at? And what power increase will it give me?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Contributors

I'll be honest with you - the 530 is a nicely balanced car that offers decent performance and very good fuel economy. However, to gain performance increases that you could actually "measure" might take more money than (written humbly) it's worth. e.g. intake and exhaust mods = 0-3% increase in HP \ 0-60 reduction probably less than 1/4 second ... cost = ~ $600+

IMHO using sport mode (in auto trans) will give you more of a spirited feel around town without too negative an impact on fuel economy.

To be candid, it's an '04 ... even if it was carefully driven your future repair and maintenance costs (even if DIY) will be hefty. Don't go broke and try to enjoy your car!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Members

Thanks. But the sprint booster won't cause any issues right?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Members

If you ask me, You're not the smartest bloke if your spending your money on a sprintbooster. That thing is just something between your ears...
Press the pedal further if you want to accelerate harder.

The N52 engine isn't a really good tuner.
You can reprogram the ECU, but even that will only give you 15 to 20hp max.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

Originally Posted by Ballistic
If you ask me, You're not the smartest bloke if your spending your money on a sprintbooster. That thing is just something between your ears...
Bit harsh!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jsanjuan32
Thanks. But the sprint booster won't cause any issues right?
I've had mine on my '07 for 2 years. Sometimes my spouse finds the gas pedal a bit "touchy". I find the SB makes the pedal feel "responsive". In Sport mode on slippery surfaces (ice/snow) it can trigger traction control than before the SB was in place. But, that's only in Sport mode. Once again - I does not increase horsepower or torque only amplifies the electronic signal between pedal and engine and increases response in about the first 1/4 of pedal movement. As someone already wrote ... you could step on the go-pedal a little harder to get a similar "effect" . I have not heard anyone report the SB causes problems but some remove it when having a dealer service their car. I have not and no one has ever mentioned it to me at my dealer.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ballistic

The N52 engine isn't a really good tuner.
You can reprogram the ECU, but even that will only give you 15 to 20hp max.
"Bloke"? Nigga please. Keep Ur "smart" ass comments over there in holland. Watch your mouth "bloke" if u know so much you wouldn't be on a forum talking reckless. Look at the other responses. U might learn a thing or two. For one how to keep those stupid comments to your self smart guy. On that note. Thanks to everyone ELSE for your input.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

Have you looked into the power box from. Burger tuning? Although I have a different engine I have the jb4 and I love it. I have a friend that has the powerbox on his 328 and he seems to enjoy the extra power it gives. I think it remaps your ecu like the sprint poster but it actually gives you more power. Just another option for you to look into.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Evotivo
Have you looked into the power box from. Burger tuning? Although I have a different engine I have the jb4 and I love it. I have a friend that has the powerbox on his 328 and he seems to enjoy the extra power it gives. I think it remaps your ecu like the sprint poster but it actually gives you more power. Just another option for you to look into.
No. I haven't looked into that. That is actually more of what I was looking for. So I will deffinetly look into it. I have heard a lot of good things about the JB4. Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mikethepanel
Bit harsh!
Perhaps. But i don't think there is no denying in it. A sprintbooster can't do anything you can't do yourself...

Quick Reply: Other than the Sprint booster what are my options?