DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Oh Crap.......Door handle pulled clean off

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ObD' post='866131' date='May 2 2009, 07:31 PM
There should be a bung hole (near the door handle) on the rear frame of the door for access, (where the latch mechanism is). Remove the plastic bung. I'm sure Rudy aka Beavis will have a TIS pdf posted shortly.
Yep I saw that, and I can even get a screwdriver in there to bring the main metal lever forward (that pulls the bowden cable)..........forward enough to make the door handle latch onto it, but I just can't get the handle to stay on to the latch. It's like something inside has dislodged or moved out of place.

Rudy - if you are there please post the TIS on how to replace door handle carrier assembly. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Members

Talking

Alright so this is what you have to do step by step. (I have a salvage BMW I had to replace all the doors on)
1. Open the front door from the inside of the car so that you can see the inner side of the door.
Oh Crap.......Door handle pulled clean off-img_1898.jpg
2. Facing the part of the door that locks into the silver link attached to the car there should be two black pieces of rubber, you will need to pull the top one off.
3. Once the rubber pad is removed, take a flashlight and look at a downward angle to the bottom right.(It is on the left side in the picture because I took the pictures on the passenger door) You will see a silver ring and then through that there will be a screw with a torx head. I forget the size of torx head, but you will need a screwdriver torx head because it is fairly deep inside the door. Once you get the screwdriver through the hole and feel the screw grab (You may need to push a little towards the lower left so the screwdriver can get into the screw) loosen it basically all the way, I don't think the screw can come out so you're fine.
4. Once the screw is loosened completely, attach the handle to both sides of the door scoop.
5. When they are both in, you will need to tighten the screw again with the same torx head while keeping a little bit of pressure on the handle while tightening.
6. Once you are done tightening the handle should be reattached and you just need to put the rubber back on!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

If you get desparate, I can e-mail you a copy of the TIS page - I can't upload it here because it is in .xps format. (I don't have Adobe on this machine) This is Microsoft's answer to Adobe's .pdf. The .xps viewer is standard in Vista, or a free download from Microsoft.

Looks similar to Brianyos' post though.

Good luck

Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='866610' date='May 3 2009, 09:42 AM
If you get desparate, I can e-mail you a copy of the TIS page - I can't upload it here because it is in .xps format. (I don't have Adobe on this machine) This is Microsoft's answer to Adobe's .pdf. The .xps viewer is standard in Vista, or a free download from Microsoft.

Looks similar to Brianyos' post though.

Good luck

Mike
Mike please post the TIS, Brianyo's post looks very helpful on a first readm but it's going to be so much easier with pics. Thanks !!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brianyo' post='866419' date='May 3 2009, 03:36 AM
Alright so this is what you have to do step by step. (I have a salvage BMW I had to replace all the doors on)
1. Open the front door from the inside of the car so that you can see the inner side of the door.
Attachment 78517
2. Facing the part of the door that locks into the silver link attached to the car there should be two black pieces of rubber, you will need to pull the top one off.
3. Once the rubber pad is removed, take a flashlight and look at a downward angle to the bottom right.(It is on the left side in the picture because I took the pictures on the passenger door) You will see a silver ring and then through that there will be a screw with a torx head. I forget the size of torx head, but you will need a screwdriver torx head because it is fairly deep inside the door. Once you get the screwdriver through the hole and feel the screw grab (You may need to push a little towards the lower left so the screwdriver can get into the screw) loosen it basically all the way, I don't think the screw can come out so you're fine.
4. Once the screw is loosened completely, attach the handle to both sides of the door scoop.
5. When they are both in, you will need to tighten the screw again with the same torx head while keeping a little bit of pressure on the handle while tightening.
6. Once you are done tightening the handle should be reattached and you just need to put the rubber back on!
Thanks for this !! A few questions:

Are you basically saying pull off the rubber cap on the side (at the back) of the door, just a few cms up from the actual lock? I have noted this gives access to the carrier assembly - but only big enough for a screw driver.

Presumably while carrying out step 3, you would be able to look through the hole at the front (on face of door where handle came away)........and if so what would you see, as you loosen the screw ??

Would appreciate if you can answer the above, but looks like you maybe in the US, so won't get this till later.....let's hope I've worked it out by then !
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brianyo' post='866419' date='May 3 2009, 03:36 AM
Brianyo - were you replacing door handles on E60's or some other model ? - I've tried to take a look (and feel around) for the silver ring and the torx screw - I'm pretty sure it's not there.............

If only I had the TIS on how to replace the door handle.

Please help guys !
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Gudge' post='866613' date='May 3 2009, 09:59 AM
Mike please post the TIS, Brianyo's post looks very helpful on a first readm but it's going to be so much easier with pics. Thanks !!
Gudge,

Let me know by PM your email address, then I can send it to you, as the site won't let me upload this type of file.

The text on the page is : (my italics)

Unclip seal (1) in direction of arrow. As in Brianyo's post.
Note: Protect bore (1) against scratching (risk of corrosion).
Important! If the screw is not correctly secured, the lock mechanism can jump back and the sound insulation must be removed.
Pull outside handle (2) outwards/upwards until screw (3) is accessible and hold. Screw is deep in the hole - looks like you have to hold the door handle open to see it
Using special tool 51 2 220, A long Torx screwdriverscrew down screw (3) in counterclockwise direction and thereby secure outside handle (2).

a)Pull off outside handle (1) from rear lock actuator (2). Your good Lady's already done this!
b)Pull off outside handle (1) downwards (as shown in illustration) from front lock actuator (3).

Installation:
Following parts on outside handle (4) must not be damaged or missing: 1Rear mounting 2Front mounting 3Felt strip (if available for refitting/replacement no longer required)
Stop pad (1) must be fitted.
Insert outside handle (4) with bore (3) correctly in mounting (2).
Engage mounting (5) of outside handle (4) correctly in lock actuator (6).

Note: Protect bore (1) against scratching/damaged paintwork (risk of corrosion).
Important! If the screw is not correctly secured, the lock mechanism can jump back and the sound insulation must be removed.
Grip outside handle (2) and, using special tool 51 2 220, screw down screw (3) in clockwise direction.
Tightening torque 51 22 5AZ.
Carry out function check only with door open.

That's as good as I can do at the moment

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Mike - PM with my email sent !. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Here is a pic of the front side of the door handle assembly carrier. (Got this off ebay, pity I do not have pic of the back).
Brianyo - can you please point out roughly where this torx screw is you are talking about.
Thanks.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Members

"...I don't want to go to the dealers, as I know they'll charge me ???$$$ just to look into it...."

Since your car is a 2008 why wouldn't the defective door handle be covered by the BMW warranty?

Quick Reply: Oh Crap.......Door handle pulled clean off