DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Official USB Retrofit Instructions (6FL) for E60/61

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Have English version of the official E60/61 6FL retrofit if anyone is interested (PDF Format). I could only find in German on this forum.

Still pretty pissed off that having the better spec system on my car means I also have to buy and additional part for the upgrade which is not part of the retrofit kit and the dealer wants a further ?563.33 + vat for the additional part which is the ULF Electronics 'High' to replace the 'Low' version installed (Part No. 84 10 9 224 674).

They want ?150.64 + vat. for the retrofit kit, and a further ?25.07 + vat for a bracket for the part above.

Without the extra bit above (which is mentioned in the installation instructions but not part of the kit) it would have been a very cost effective upgrade, but with the extra part I do not think you can justify the cost !!

Be warned if you are going to do this upgrade to check whether you also need the extra module.

Let me know if anyone wants the instructions.

Also if anyone has the part 84 10 9 224 674 going cheap also let me know

Regards

Melv
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Hi,

Any chance of getting those instructions? Also, does the car need to have any specific options to work, such as MP3 capability, CD changer, sat nav
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I would like to see a copy of the instructions too. Where did you find your ULF module I cant seem to find it in my E61 to see if I have the high module fitted.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='1036978' date='Oct 21 2009, 12:10 AM
I would like to see a copy of the instructions too. Where did you find your ULF module I cant seem to find it in my E61 to see if I have the high module fitted.
Its located in the boot on the left hand side on the wheel arch. You will need to remove the trim in the boot to expose the wheel arch and you will find the module there. It is on a bracket. You may need to remove the bracket as sometimes there are two modules, one on the underside of the bracket that is not easy to see.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='1036745' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:54 PM
Hi,

Any chance of getting those instructions? Also, does the car need to have any specific options to work, such as MP3 capability, CD changer, sat nav

No problem, here you go.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Melv
Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Melv' post='1037327' date='Oct 21 2009, 06:52 AM
No problem, here you go.
Excellent post. Thank you for posting this.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Melv' post='1037326' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:49 AM
Its located in the boot on the left hand side on the wheel arch. You will need to remove the trim in the boot to expose the wheel arch and you will find the module there. It is on a bracket. You may need to remove the bracket as sometimes there are two modules, one on the underside of the bracket that is not easy to see.

Thanks for posting the info and link.

I do have a question which i dont know if you or anyone else can answer. My car isnt fitted with "SA 644 Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface" but it does have "SA 0633 Bluetooth phone prep + telematics" and in the boot floor I have a Telematics Control Unit "TCU" which also does all the bluetooth functions, I cant see a ULF unit at all on the wheel well or even a bracket for one. On page 10 of the PDF they refer to a box(the picture for cars without SA644) at location "E" which is the same location as my TCU as being the High charger/hands-free electronic module. Is this the same thing as the "High charger/hands-free electronic module"?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Contributors

Ok im answering my own question here but thought it might be usefull. If the car has a TCU then it doesnt require a ULF module and the TCU is what they refer to as the "High charger/hands-free electronic module". If no TCU is fitted then a ULF high is required. Found that on http://xoutpost.com/.

Melv as your car is post 9/07 then it should have BMW Connecteddrive (mine only has BMW Assist but Assist and BMW Online were combined in that Sept to form BMW connected drive and came as standard). That means your car should have a TCU and not require a ULF module. Would be worth checking your dealer got it right for your car.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='1038571' date='Oct 23 2009, 01:31 AM
Ok im answering my own question here but thought it might be usefull. If the car has a TCU then it doesnt require a ULF module and the TCU is what they refer to as the "High charger/hands-free electronic module". If no TCU is fitted then a ULF high is required. Found that on http://xoutpost.com/.

Melv as your car is post 9/07 then it should have BMW Connecteddrive (mine only has BMW Assist but Assist and BMW Online were combined in that Sept to form BMW connected drive and came as standard). That means your car should have a TCU and not require a ULF module. Would be worth checking your dealer got it right for your car.
Hi thanks for the info. Indeed my car does have the TCU, Connected Drive, BMW Online etc but they say this unit is the 'Low' version. Its crazy really becasue they say that I have the higher spec car but that means I get the 'Low' version module !! Aparently that module does not have the USB electronics in it and I need to get this other module which will piggy back the existing. Very frustrating as the huge cost of that module does not make it worthwhile !!

Quick Reply: Official USB Retrofit Instructions (6FL) for E60/61