DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

My first mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Sas
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i ('04)

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='691206' date='Oct 12 2008, 11:42 PM
...blow up the original rear speakers that are not designed to receive 75 watts RMS.

I think you answerd your own question
Old 11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D touring automatic gearbox panoramic sunroof titan-grey metallic black comfort seats navi professional sunshades in rear doors HUD Xenon voice control sports suspension PDC cd-changer Shadow-line Bluetooth Auto-dimming mirrors Dark-wood trim Heated seats

Just installed the system this weekend. The lips on the woofers were to big, the mids did not fit at all (had to dril new holes in them) but the sound is amazing the only downside: the blaupunkt amplifies the sound via the standard speaker wiring and now the sound of the PDC is very very loud
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

A similar DIY which should give people with the standard EU system some ideas to upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157820
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='710182' date='Nov 2 2008, 08:38 PM
Just installed the system this weekend. The lips on the woofers were to big, the mids did not fit at all (had to dril new holes in them) but the sound is amazing the only downside: the blaupunkt amplifies the sound via the standard speaker wiring and now the sound of the PDC is very very loud
What did you finally buy for amp? Did you go for the 4 channel or the 5 channel?
Sh.. to hear that the set was not ready to fit in..... than the set is not worth it's extra money and they should not advertise with 'specially for e60'....

In the thread which Bruce mention, I read that you should close the gain (so all the way to the left). Perhaps that solves your loud PDC issue!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D touring automatic gearbox panoramic sunroof titan-grey metallic black comfort seats navi professional sunshades in rear doors HUD Xenon voice control sports suspension PDC cd-changer Shadow-line Bluetooth Auto-dimming mirrors Dark-wood trim Heated seats

I have bought the 5-channel version because that way the woofers get 125W RMS instead of 55W. As written in the link from Bruce the manual did not mention swapping the little connector so after putting everything together I had lost my blue tooth and SATNAV directions in the HUD and had to begin all over again. It also does not mention which original wire has ignition switched power and constant power so I connected the Blaupunkts yellow wire to the BMW's yellow wire and now I have an amp that does not switch off but I do not want to remove the CCC again because it's a pain in the @%#$@ to get it back in with all the extra connectors.
The 10mm2 power cables I had bought did not fit in the tiny openings in the amp.
As for the speakers:
If you call it a pnp system why are there no connectors to fit with the original wiring which is the same for all the BMW models this set is supposed to fit in, costs are maybe 50 cents for them. There is also no mentioning of what is + and - in the cars original wires.

But in the end I am very happy with the sound and think it is money (800 euros including dynamat and special wool for the mids) well spend because the basic euro-spec sound is crap. Now it sounds like a dream with clear but warm (the L7 sounds a bit to digital for my taste) sound, it can even play low as I tried with a very old "food for woofers" CD
Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='712178' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:07 PM
I have bought the 5-channel version because that way the woofers get 125W RMS instead of 55W. As written in the link from Bruce the manual did not mention swapping the little connector so after putting everything together I had lost my blue tooth and SATNAV directions in the HUD and had to begin all over again. It also does not mention which original wire has ignition switched power and constant power so I connected the Blaupunkts yellow wire to the BMW's yellow wire and now I have an amp that does not switch off but I do not want to remove the CCC again because it's a pain in the @%#$@ to get it back in with all the extra connectors.
The 10mm2 power cables I had bought did not fit in the tiny openings in the amp.
As for the speakers:
If you call it a pnp system why are there no connectors to fit with the original wiring which is the same for all the BMW models this set is supposed to fit in, costs are maybe 50 cents for them. There is also no mentioning of what is + and - in the cars original wires.

But in the end I am very happy with the sound and think it is money (800 euros including dynamat and special wool for the mids) well spend because the basic euro-spec sound is crap. Now it sounds like a dream with clear but warm (the L7 sounds a bit to digital for my taste) sound, it can even play low as I tried with a very old "food for woofers" CD
Ah, the good old Food For Woofers brings back happy memories

I think you run the best (low budget) set-up. I wish I had the 5 channel Blaupunkt amp i.o. the current 4-ch. that runs only on the SWS-8's......
But after hearing you're 'troubles' with fitting in the X-ion set, I woudl opt for the SWS-8's with a Hertz (or similar) 4" set.

Anyway, I'm selling my car. The one that I'm going to buy (535d M-sport) has Logic7, so if anybody is interested, I have a 4-ch. MTX amp with 2 brand new SWS-8's. Just fitted it 3 weeks ago......
Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='712798' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:19 PM
Ah, the good old Food For Woofers brings back happy memories

I think you run the best (low budget) set-up. I wish I had the 5 channel Blaupunkt amp i.o. the current 4-ch. that runs only on the SWS-8's......
But after hearing you're 'troubles' with fitting in the X-ion set, I woudl opt for the SWS-8's with a Hertz (or similar) 4" set.

Anyway, I'm selling my car. The one that I'm going to buy (535d M-sport) has Logic7, so if anybody is interested, I have a 4-ch. MTX amp with 2 brand new SWS-8's. Just fitted it 3 weeks ago......
The problem with the mid-range speakers is that in a normal car they are mounted on the metal part of the door, in the E60 they are mounted on the door card, so you have to use the three point where the original mids are mounted. The L7 system is very good but to clean *due to metal cones) for my taste, I like the warm sound of paper cones like DLS and CDT. In the Mini I have a set of focals, but the I don't like the sound of the tweaters.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Update.

Pretty mutch a year ago i retrofited the pre-LCI CCC Navi Pro. The sound that came out the woofers (Earthquake SWS-8") was so terrible, even they where droven by the same amp (Earthquake PH800W/2 @ 400W/4Ohm mono) through the high-level output/input as the MASK Navi Business, that the speakers setup was set back to standard.

In the meantime a learned how to code the car becausse no $tealer would code a retrofit not bought by them (duh).
First i went to Logic 7 with a DSP amp but the woofers bass could not be adjusted to my taste, there was always a deep rumble that annoyed me.

A few days ago (last weekend to be exact) i removed the DSP L7 option $677 and added $676 to the cars FA and ussed the HiFi-output, that gives a pretty plompy bass.
After adjusting the amps gain and playing with the cross-over today, the cleanest (to my taste) bass is reached upon 55 Hertz.
The front and rear speakers/tweeters are Boston S50'ers connected directly without the crossovers to the CCC.
DENSION Gateway 500 takes care of the digital feed.
Finally i can enjoy back of my favorite music.