DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Mp3 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like there is a lot of confusion over mp3, the CD changer and the iPod interface.
I took my car to the dealer and asked for the CD prep. to be done so that at a later stage I could fit the iPod interface unit. This they did but when I picked the car up the bluetooth phone setting was 'greyed' out and would not work. It appeared they had missed out a fibre optic terminator (Called 'diagnostic most' on real OEM).
With CD prep. the iPod interface is NOT plug and play it requires coding, and as I have been informed the software will not take as there is no CD changer installed.
The M-ASK dash mount CD player cannot support mp3.
This is for cars with M-ASK units. Maybe the later CCC equiped cars are different?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

Thanks schulrog for your quick awnser but I am more concirned about the fact that my car is a model '04. So it's pr? 03/05. From what I've read here (and on other forums), on pr? 03/05 models it won't be possible to activate the MP3 functionality on the car needed to display MP3 text. And as I stated before, having MP3 without the text functionality for me would be the same as not having MP3 at all.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I have MASK and Dension is working no problem, so in my case I have non-Nav and MP3 text is functioning.

At least I know for sure another member nigxdoof due to earlier built have no MP3 support on the in-dash player non-CCC (non-Nav) and his Dension is fully functioning including the MP3 text and all.

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle' post='875876' date='May 12 2009, 02:05 AM
[...]
The E61 that I've bought has a CCC navi pro in it. I've made sure it had the navi pro because Densions site stated that the MASK models didn't support MP3 text and the CCC ones did. Not having MP3 text in my opinion is the same as not having MP3 functionallity at all. It's useles without it. Try browsing through your entire music collection without having an clue of what's a songs title..?
[...]
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='876002' date='May 12 2009, 02:46 PM
I have MASK and Dension is working no problem, so in my case I have non-Nav and MP3 text is functioning.

At least I know for sure another member nigxdoof due to earlier built have no MP3 support on the in-dash player non-CCC (non-Nav) and his Dension is fully functioning including the MP3 text and all.
Thanks BlaSTiWi. Lets hope you are right and MP3 support on the dash player is not nessecary to make the Dension work. It wouldn't be a problem for me if the dash player has no MP3 support as long as I have an iPod or USB connection that supports it fully.

We'll see how it turns out when I have the car. I'll keep you guys updated once it works (hopefully) or doesn't work...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

As far as non-MP3 enabled ... another member is nelson29:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=811552

and on the same thread is member nigxdoof:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71577

I think what Dension need to fully functioning is by enabling iPod interface as oppose to MP3, at least based on the 2 members I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle' post='876309' date='May 12 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks BlaSTiWi. Lets hope you are right and MP3 support on the dash player is not nessecary to make the Dension work. It wouldn't be a problem for me if the dash player has no MP3 support as long as I have an iPod or USB connection that supports it fully.

We'll see how it turns out when I have the car. I'll keep you guys updated once it works (hopefully) or doesn't work...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='876328' date='May 12 2009, 08:05 PM
As far as non-MP3 enabled ... another member is nelson29:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=811552

and on the same thread is member nigxdoof:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71577

I think what Dension need to fully functioning is by enabling iPod interface as oppose to MP3, at least based on the 2 members I mentioned above.
Thanks for the links. I just ran briefly through the topics and I'm feeling a little more confident now that it'll work.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

ur missing an honest dealer. It's just a quick program. Find another dealer or someone with access to the software.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

Add me to your confidence builder list

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=70723

The only requirement (I think) is that car has to be 09/03 built or later. Mine is a 12/03 built, No NAV, No CDC (but prewired), Still No MP3 capability in CD player. The link was when I installed the OEM kit, I now have a Dension that was pretty much plug and play with all features running as expected.

Greg