DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Should I just pay a shop to do this? What I thought the loud clunk noise might have been coming from the broken bushing in the control arm but I am now suspecting that the engine mount may be the culprit. Any ideas of how difficult this would be to DYI? Thanks all in advance.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Should I just pay a shop to do this? What I thought the loud clunk noise might have been coming from the broken bushing in the control arm but I am now suspecting that the engine mount may be the culprit. Any ideas of how difficult this would be to DYI? Thanks all in advance.
You should certainly have a qualified independent mechanic [e.g. - not Sears] diagnose the issue ... but, without knowing your mechanical experience and availability of any specialized equipment / tools that might be necessary, the two areas you mentioned would likely best be left to someone who does this for a living.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

It's not a bad DIY, but it is a lot of work and time consuming to do. Not to mention you have to be REAL careful not to damage the engine/oil pan since you have to lift the engine to take the weight off the mounts to replace them. It can be done as a DIY, but you need to know what you're doing or you'll be paying a shop a lot more down the road. So if you're brave and have the time, it isn't that difficult to do
Old 07-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
It's not a bad DIY, but it is a lot of work and time consuming to do. Not to mention you have to be REAL careful not to damage the engine/oil pan since you have to lift the engine to take the weight off the mounts to replace them. It can be done as a DIY, but you need to know what you're doing or you'll be paying a shop a lot more down the road. So if you're brave and have the time, it isn't that difficult to do
Thanks for the input John. It is always appreciated.
I read a few posts from here and there and you are right on the money with the procedures.
I will call around and see if it's something that can be done without breaking my bank.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the input John. It is always appreciated.
I read a few posts from here and there and you are right on the money with the procedures.
I will call around and see if it's something that can be done without breaking my bank.

LOL I've done it more than a few times and I'm not sure I would risk it on our cars. I'd do it myself on my car, but not sure I'd want to do it someone else's car - know what I mean?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

LOL I've done it more than a few times and I'm not sure I would risk it on our cars. I'd do it myself on my car, but not sure I'd want to do it someone else's car - know what I mean?
of course I do.
Wanna give me a hand with swapping out my control arms next week? I I think I have it under control but my need your expertise and brawn! Lol.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

of course I do.
Wanna give me a hand with swapping out my control arms next week? I I think I have it under control but my need your expertise and brawn! Lol.
Sure, n/p you know I'm happy to lend a hand
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

I ordered them yesterday and they are coming from CT via UPS Ground. So it will be a good 5 days. Will give a buzz as soon as I get them. I will have another case of Dos XXs or Corona ready cuz I think it will be a warm weekend.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

I ordered them yesterday and they are coming from CT via UPS Gounod. So it will be a good 5 days. Will give a buzz as soon as I get them. I will have another case of Dos XXs or Corona ready cuz I think it wick be a warm weekend.