DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Steering Column Lubrication?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Hi Guys -

My 2004 545i steering column makes a sounds ratcheting noise when I turn the key and the steering column moves to its position. It only does this occasionally, not all the time. For example, it may do it for 5 days, and then I won't hear from it again for 3 months.

SA says steering column needs lubricated at a cost of $320 smackers!

1. Anyone know how perform the steering column lubrication?
2. Is there a possibility that once they open this up, they will find a bad steering column or if it is bad would they already have diagnosed this?

Thanks!

P.S. For future forumers, this is the only link I could find that discussed this issue. I posted a new topic due to the title and not getting responses when I resurrected the old thread. https://5series.net/forums/topic/602...ng-wheel-tilt/
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Take off the 4 screws on the bottom panel beneath the steering wheel/above the foot well. You might not get the panel out, that's fine. Just bend it down and in the back you will see a linkage joint, while your turning the wheel, spray all angles and all sides of the joint with lithium grease...that should do it
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
Take off the 4 screws on the bottom panel beneath the steering wheel/above the foot well. You might not get the panel out, that's fine. Just bend it down and in the back you will see a linkage joint, while your turning the wheel, spray all angles and all sides of the joint with lithium grease...that should do it
Thanks Krozi!

I'm not sure if this is the right area that needs lubricated but I will definitely give it a try.

The noise it is making sounds more like the mechanism that adjusts the steering column to your favorite position. You know the one - where you push the button and it electrically moves the wheel up and down closer or farther from your legs. The car remembers this position, and puts it back when you insert the key and turn it to energize electrical components.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by w84me
Thanks Krozi!

I'm not sure if this is the right area that needs lubricated but I will definitely give it a try.

The noise it is making sounds more like the mechanism that adjusts the steering column to your favorite position. You know the one - where you push the button and it electrically moves the wheel up and down closer or farther from your legs. The car remembers this position, and puts it back when you insert the key and turn it to energize electrical components.
Does it make a clicking/knocking sound when you adjust it?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

Does it make a clicking/knocking sound when you adjust it?
It clicks and knocks (very not smooth) when it is adjusting itself. I haven't tried doing it manually. It sort of sounds like a tennis net tightener when it starts getting tight and clicks because it is very tight.

Also, I'm guessing it must be something different cause I don't think my SA would try to charge me that much for something that simple - they are pretty honest and straight forward, just a bit more expensive, and sometimes worth paying the premium.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Yea my car had that too....they replaced the steering column under warranty...
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Members

Yea my car had that too....they replaced the steering column under warranty...
Was something broken? Why did they need to replace it?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by w84me
Was something broken? Why did they need to replace it?
I have no clue...I just dropped the car off and told them what was going on....2 days later they call me up to tell me the car is ready and that they replaced the steering column...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

I have the same problem. Posted in another topic as well a few months ago but got no responses. Will try opening up as Krozi suggested an lubricating anything I see in there
Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
I have the same problem. Posted in another topic as well a few months ago but got no responses. Will try opening up as Krozi suggested an lubricating anything I see in there
I talked to my SA about this today, he said the lubrication in question is definitely different than the linkage joint. I decided in favor of letting them do the job, in the event they find an issue it would be covered under the CPO warranty. He also said that it is best to get this lubricated to prevent issues which make sense. He also said at their location they don't find many steering columns that need replaced, most just need lubricated. If I discover it does need replaced, I'll be sure to report back, otherwise no news is good news (other than one darn expensive lube job!)

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lubrication?