DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

minor tune up

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor tune up

I was wondering what the best oil to put in my 07 530i with 92k. If someone could link the diy link, that be helpful.

A few other.things id like to see if i can fix before i drop to much money on this..

My power steering pump seems to wine only when its.cold and a cold start??? Any suggestions?

The tpm light.comes on and.just says malfunction? What do i do?

Lastly need a filter change,.i heard the bmc filters.are nice but i found k n filter for half price, would this be,an ok purchase?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

As far as oil, I'd only use the BMW recommended oil. Your car ran fine with the OEM air filter, why change? I'm sure others will chime in on your other issues.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by onetime
As far as oil, I'd only use the BMW recommended oil. Your car ran fine with the OEM air filter, why change? I'm sure others will chime in on your other issues.
+1. I will also stick to the OEMs.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Contributors

I was wondering what the best oil to put in my 07 530i with 92k.

• BMW (often best priced at dealers with "regular special sales") or one of the BMW approved substitutes.

My power steering pump seems to wine only when its.cold and a cold start??? Any suggestions?

• Check "cold" fluid level. May be low. There may be air in the system. Crank wheel full left and then full right 2-3 times. Check and top off P/S.

The tpm light.comes on and.just says malfunction? What do i do?

• If not needing tire pressure adjustment and resetting it may be a problem with one or more wheel mounted TPMS - or one of the receivers. Read the section of your owners manual about TPMS - check tire inflation pressures and add if necessary - reset and if it doesn't go away you may need a dealer service visit.

Lastly need a filter change,.i heard the bmc filters.are nice but i found k n filter for half price, would this be,an ok purchase?

• In my opinion, for most drivers, the factory or OEM replacement air filters are very satisfactory.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

a look through the DIY section:

DIY: Do It Yourself - 5Series.net - Forums

a good number of your q's can be found there....

filters: KNN, BMC, or OEM are all good choices, some go aftermarket for sound and slight performance increase...

oil brands: tasters choice, but picking up a few quarts from your local dealership is a safe bet...

tpm malfunction: have you reset/rechecked your tire pressures and reset the tpm's via idrive?