DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Making a second Air Intake for 545i...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Why PLAY-DOH?

To cover the tube from the air duct (M5 part is wider) and allow the air enters to the pipe.

Making a second Air Intake for 545i...-bmw_project2_airintake_012.jpg

Also I made the homemade scoops! version 2. (regardless the HP gains and just for air flow)
Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

First of all, hands down for your effort. It is always good to see some customs jobs.

That air duct it isn't just for the M5. My car has the airbox on the right side and therefore has the same air duct. I guess all diesel cars has that right side air duct because it is the I6 exhaust side.

I don't see any benefit with your system. Dinan is a airbox, so the ram air ducts will pressurize the airbox. But i still don't understand the need of a secondary air duct like that, too much pipe lenght and elbows. Afe system is a CAI with a heat shield, so you never will pressurize it. To give more fresh air to the filter i think that you would get better results with one of these options:

a) A air duct getting air from the left brake duct will increase more the air flow than getting air from the other side of the engine.

b) Cut in half the left air duct (to increase the outlet diameter = more air flow). Then add your inlet air scoop to the air duct and make a outlet air scoop for the air flow go directly to the filter.

The dinan system also has a huge secondary pipe diameter compared to yours.

Making a second Air Intake for 545i...-afe.jpg
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='699807' date='Oct 22 2008, 04:16 AM
First of all, hands down for your effort. It is always good to see some customs jobs.

That air duct it isn't just for the M5. My car has the airbox on the right side and therefore has the same air duct. I guess all diesel cars has that right side air duct because it is the I6 exhaust side.

I don't see any benefit with your system. Dinan is a airbox, so the ram air ducts will pressurize the airbox. But i still don't understand the need of a secondary air duct like that, too much pipe lenght and elbows. Afe system is a CAI with a heat shield, so you never will pressurize it. To give more fresh air to the filter i think that you would get better results with one of these options:

a) A air duct getting air from the left brake duct will increase more the air flow than getting air from the other side of the engine.

b) Cut in half the left air duct (to increase the outlet diameter = more air flow). Then add your inlet air scoop to the air duct and make a outlet air scoop for the air flow go directly to the filter.

The dinan system also has a huge secondary pipe diameter compared to yours.
]

Excellente! Obrigado!
your post is very helpful and it makes us increasing more knowledge on custom mods.

I already have a new version of my homemade intake (I didn't put new pictures yet, much better than this version) and with your new ideas makes me to create another idea! Gracias!

My next project is to make a dual with Stock Airbox (I already ordered a used box (yes! original stock) from bavaria) for $25. this one will be drilled a hole to install the second duct like DINAN. I love DIY projects!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

man that sounds good!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Do I see duct tape? playdoh? foil? omfg can you say ricer boy. Congrats, you have officially ruined your bmw.
Save the $ people, get the rpi scoops, atleast they perform and look good!

More sound doesnt equal faster.

my 2cents
Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by tbal' post='701418' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:38 PM
Do I see duct tape? playdoh? foil? omfg can you say ricer boy. Congrats, you have officially ruined your bmw.

my 2cents
The play-doh's got me stumped
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tbal' post='701418' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:38 PM

my 2cents

I don't deal with stupids like you. blame whatever you want. Like I said it was a version 1.0 (fast DIY) of course I improvised the version 2.0 with no duct tape (pictures soon) My main point of my DIY are 100% reversible. how can I ruin the car.

you are my just $0.01
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

whats with the E-Beef u guys have been going at ea. other in a couple more threads????
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributors

How, because it looks ghetto. I'd understand if you couldnt buy anything for these cars, or if you were driving a civic...
Miguex... sell the bimmer, buy a civic.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by southgate' post='701501' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:46 PM
whats with the E-Beef u guys have been going at ea. other in a couple more threads????

He hates the truth, also hates the fact that he lost $350 on afe garbage intake. lol

Quick Reply: Making a second Air Intake for 545i...