DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

LCI rear lights on pre LCI E61

Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Either way, you are buying my product.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Either way, you are buying my product.
Hello Bruce and others on this list,

This is my first post here though I have been reading for almost a year now. Great forum. I am from Holland and I have a beautiful black 530i touring with brown leather seats (comfort). The car is from march 2005 and last weekend I installed the new LCI taillights with the adapter cables made by Bruce. Bought the lot from ebay for euro 890 including shipment. Installation took me a whole sunday because for some reason the tailgate window didn't open. I had to hotwire the thing to open it and get access to the wiring loom for this conversion. But it was fun because I only broke one plastick lip.
In the end everything worked perfect except for the inner lights. They seem significantly dimmer then the outside lights. Both inners look equally dim so I am not sure if this is normal or not. If you look at an angle the inners become brighter and the outers dimmer so at a certain angle they are equally bright. Is this as it is supposed to be? Could it be that because of the wires to the inners are much longer than to the outers less current is comming through?
Please give me you experiences with this conversion (the turnsignals look great though)

thanks very much for your time,

Paul
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

That happens even on the LCI cars themselves. The longer wire need to reach the boot lid adds resistance which makes the voltage drop. However you shouldn't notice it too much during the night which driving. Ofcourse if it really bothers you, you could always add a really long wire to the body light and then both will be equal.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Members

That happens even on the LCI cars themselves. The longer wire need to reach the boot lid adds resistance which makes the voltage drop. However you shouldn't notice it too much during the night which driving. Ofcourse if it really bothers you, you could always add a really long wire to the body light and then both will be equal.
Ok thank you. I allready hoped it would be kind of normal and less visible during night time. I will look at other LCI cars over the next period to see if it is the same or worse.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon black, black dakato leather, M Sport suspension, sport appearance, sport interior, comfort access, HID fogs, LED Halo's, M rear deck spoiler, M rear decklid filler, ALuminum interior trim upgrade, Blue led interior lights, RPI intake and BM air filter, RPI rear muffler.....

DOes anyone know where and from who I can buy the BRUCE V6 cables from here in the USA? I already have the new LCI taillight and thought I could upgrade with the retrofit kit from BMW($34). But the retrofit kit only can be reprogrammed if you also upgrade to the LCI healights as well.. SO now I am stuck... ANy susggestions would help greatly..
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

To be perfectly honest even I didn't know it was this involved!! Thank you very much for documenting this.

For anyone wanting to do this, my cables allow you to simply upgrade the Body lights and to keep your original Boot Lid lights. That way this DIY will complete in 15 mins like the E60. But if you want to do a complete job, you're not going to find a better DIY than this!
Hello Bruce!
I am the next one for this job members tell me i can buy form you, the kit- cables, to install face lift lights, i bought currently only outer ones.
Could you please tell me how much it cost? may be a manual included how to install also?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
New Members

Hallo. Jeg har en E61 som din og har blitt overrasket over det arbeidet du har gjort å sette LED baklys. Kjøp Miranda Bruce adapter og endret baklys eksteriøret perfekt, men jeg er redd for å endre drivere bakluke fordi jeg ser veldig vanskelig. Det er like vanskelig som det ser ut? Kan du hjelpe meg? Kan du forklare hvordan du har endret bakluke lysene? Takk og gratulerer for ditt arbeid med LED drivere.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

Great thread as i am now looking to do my e61,
I have the electric opening tailgate so do you think that will make it more difficult for me?
Also im torn between doing the full job or just the outer lights, does anyone have any pics of what an e61 looks like with just the outer rear lights changed?
thanks, sorry i am a noob but have been reading on here for weeks and still cant find out if i can make my car also have the welcome lights come on?
can this be done via a loom or just reprogramming? i believe its down to an age and model issue, i have 535d msport auto touring 2005 if that helps.
any other mods you guys have done? ive only done the angel eyes mtech V3 led upgrade so far...
thanks for all your help in advance guys and thanks for the diy walkthrough as i will need it very soon :-)
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Members

I also have electric opening tailgate. No problem fitting the cables from Bruce. But IMO you have to change all lights. Will not look good with just the outer ones.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 535d Individual
Model Year: 2005 BMW 535d Individual
Engine: 535d

All the pictures are gone. Can you help me with some pictures of the installation ArneR?