DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

LCI rear lights on pre LCI E61

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought i make a thread on how to install LCI rear lights on non LCI E61. I bought the LCI lights from Alex Neetzel. Email: alexneetzel@web.de
All 4 lights cost me 600 Euro plus shipping. Nice price compare to my local dealer. The package arrived securely after just a couple of days. The cables i got from Bruce Miranda. They are really quality cables and look like factory. Its really easy and just plug and play. Also the manual that follows the cables are really easy to read so it makes the whole job so easy to do. But it still takes a lot of time. Especially on the E61 because of all the covers and plastic bits and bobs that has to come of so you can run the wires with the factory ones.
Here we go:

Here are ALL the tools you need for the entire job

You need:
1. A couple of screwdrivers, flat and phillips head
2. A 4mm allankey
3. A small ratchet wrench 3/8 with an extensioner and a 8mm socket
4. A 15 torx that suits the ratchet
5. Some electrical tape and some cableties. I also used some shrinking tube and a heater.

So to the job itself:

There are quite a few covers that needs to come of, but i was surpriced how easy everything was. I didnt manage to brake any of the clips
Just find a place with good space so you can put everything and keep it tidy and put all the bolts, nuts and screws in correct place.

First i removed the big cover on the tailgate. First you need to remove the cover for the tools. This is very easy. Then you need to remove about twelve 8mm BOLTS, two plastic fasteners located with the rubber stoppers, and two phillip head screws. Just remember to open the rear window first and remove the small cover for the rear window wiper. This is just clicked in place and will come of very easy.

Then its just to remove the bolts and the two fasteners and the cover will come off easily. You must also remove the light for the cover and the button for closing the gate if you have this. Both will come off easily.

Then i removed all the old lights and mounted the new ones. This is very easy and will only take you about 5 minutes to do. The outer lights has three nuts each and the inner one has only one. All is loosen with an 8mm socket. And i gave it a good clean and polish behind the lights when they were out.

Next is to mount and connect Bruce` cables. This is very easy and you connect one of the outlets to the original wiring and the other one is going with the other wires to the inner light in the tailgate. Just remember to do it properly and use all of the original wire fasteners so it look factory. Here you can see some of the cables and the box fastened with cableties on the left side.

Bruce` cables are made so you need to run the cable for the right inner light over to the left side and along the left side to the tailgate and over to the right side again. Badly explained maybe but really easy to see in the manual.
So you need to remove this cover. it has four phillip head screws under some small covers, 2 plastic fasteners and some 4mm allan keys for the cargo holders. I guess you dont HAVE to remove this cover but if you want to do a 100% job you will. Also remember to give it a good clean when cover is off.

Cargoholder

Plastic fasteners(just so you know what i mean)
Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Members

Then it was out with the vacuum cleaner and started cleaning behind the cover. Here you also can see the cables that i fasten Bruce` cable to.

Next is to remove this cover on the left side. It has three torx nr. 15 and two 8mm bolts. But be careful when removing so you dont damage the connectors for the light and the release mechanism that both has cables connected to them. But they are easy to unplug.

Here you see the connectors. And you also see the cables were im gonna fasten Bruce` cables that goes to the tailgate lights

Then the hardest part. Now you need to get the two cables for the inner lights out to the tailgate light and the way i did it was to run the cables under the roofliner and under the base for the roof speaker. its not difficult but it takes time to do this properly. Its easy to get the cover for the rear speaker of. You just pull on one side and it will come off. Then i removed the speaker( torx Nr15) and pulled the cables inside and throuh to the tailgate.

You need to get behind the speaker to get to the cables that goes to the tailgate. And you need to run the cables throuh the rubber housing(grommit) so you dont get any water and leaks inside the car. This was a pain in the ass but with some patience it went well. And this way you know you havent taken any shortcuts
Difficult to see in this picture but ive taken it up where the speaker sits and you can see the rubber that the cables sits inside of.

When this is done you can relax. The worst is done. Now you need to open the rear window and remove the upper cover. The cable need to go under this.

Then you get this. It helps if you take the rubber sealing off like this. The cover is just clicked in plase and will come off easy.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Members

Then you need to put the cables inside the curved steeltube that the other cables go throuh. But first you need to remove a small cover(8mm socket) holding the tube

Here you see the cables are throuh the tube

Cables taped up with original wires and bracket back in place.

Then you just tape the cables up with the other ones all the way down to where you go throuh and inside the tailgate throuh the rubber grommit. I didnt have to remove this left cover. I managed to put the cables under it and inside the tailgate.

When this is done you can click the top cover back on and close the window.
Then the two cables are inside the tailgate and you just run them through the original plastic holders to the left and right side. Then you need to open the electrical connectors and put the three cables inside the connector that follows with bruce` kit. This is really easy and very well explained in the manual. You just cant go wrong.

When you have pulled the two wires to the inner light you just opens up the original connectors by removing the white plate and take a small screwdriver and click the cables out one by one. Very easy to do.

When all the wires are in the right place you just lock the connector and you are done. Just put it by the other cables and connect it to the inner light.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Members

Then you just do the same procedure on the left side and you are done. ALL WELL explained in Bruce` manual.

So when you are done you just pray to whatever god you are praing to and hope everything works fine
Everything worked fine on my car and i didnt get any error messages.

So then its just to put everything back where it should be, hopefulle in the same state as it was before you start taking them of.
Really happy with the result and actually this job is really easy. It took me all day and it could maybe be done in a easier way but i now i didnt cut any corners and i was careful and didnt brake anything. Just have some patience and this will be like a walk in the park for all of you that are going to do this modification. The best investment i have ever done.

GOOD LUCK

PS: Im from Norway so you must apologise my language if it was poorly written
Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Old 04-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Wow, fantastic DYI. It appears the E61 retrofit is MUCH more complicated then the E60? Either way, nicely done!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

To be perfectly honest even I didn't know it was this involved!! Thank you very much for documenting this.

For anyone wanting to do this, my cables allow you to simply upgrade the Body lights and to keep your original Boot Lid lights. That way this DIY will complete in 15 mins like the E60. But if you want to do a complete job, you're not going to find a better DIY than this!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributors

That's a great DIY!

I didn't realize the touring version upgrade was so involved. But your pictures should help anyone else so inclined to get the job done.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Members

Thank you guys. But i hope i havent scared some of the E61 owners to do this job, because its really easy to do. Im no mechanic superman, so if i can do it so can all of you. As i said earlier, the manual is so easy to understand and use so its no problem what so ever. Its just that it takes a while to get the two cables to their inner lights, thats all. Otherwise its just the same as the E60 LCI lights. Luckily all the covers are easy to disconnect and reconnect so it chouldnt be any problems. Once again. Bruce did a great job with these cables. AND......GOOD LUCK

If anyone need more info or detailed pictures or info just send me a message or give me a call on: +47 41147462 and ill try to help you the best i can
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

ArneR:

Thank you for the excellent write-up!

I am waiting for the lights and Bruce's v.6 cables to arrive, and after reading through your DIY 25 times or so, I now realize that I am so screwed!

At the moment, I am trying to install a CF rear diffuser to my M-Technic bumper, and I can't even figure out how to get the damn bumper off! The TIS for this is a joke and so are my automotive skills. Not a good combination!

Anyway, when it comes to doing the lights retrofit later, I will use your thread... and probably call you.

Nice work!!

Quick Reply: LCI rear lights on pre LCI E61