DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Laser Jammer Install Locations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pic of SMG for possible location.
Attached Thumbnails Laser Jammer Install Locations-smgloc.jpg  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 21 2005, 04:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think that's an excellent suggestion.
[snapback]104714[/snapback]
I never took anything you said negatively. All's cool over here!

I simply wasn't sure what you were trying to mount behind the dash -- is it something that needs to be visible from the interior of the car or is it some module that needs to be hidden behind the dash?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributors

We are looking for a place to mount the remote on/off knob and lidatek on/off switch, that is easily accessible, yet inconspicuous(spelling?).
Old 03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

CRRobert,

You sure you want to mess with the panel next to the SMG???

I think that would be a great location in terms of appearance, but man I would hate to muck it up! Maybe you are more of an artisan than I... you already heard about my $150 mistake last weekend!

Speaking of which...

Before:

Laser Jammer Install Locations-before_and_after_001.jpg

Laser Jammer Install Locations-before_and_after_008.jpg

And After:

Laser Jammer Install Locations-before_and_after_009.jpg
Old 03-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Road Runner, are you saying you can't get the seat switch back together now? That looks like something that is doable to me.

Also, how big is the jammer switch? From the picture you posted, it looks as if there's room for a switch right next to the seat memory buttons...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 21 2005, 06:35 PM
CRRobert,

You sure you want to mess with the panel next to the SMG?????

I think that would be a great location in terms of appearance, but man I would hate to muck it up!? Maybe you are more of an artisan than I... you already heard about my $150 mistake last weekend!

Speaking of which...

[snapback]104822[/snapback]

Holy Cow

I figured that I may get another panel to plan my destruction. Since I am out in SD at RV park, I don't have the tools or resources to get too wild.

Hope yours is all back together.

Just had a thought, you maybe install the switch somehow in the Ashtray compartment, so you could have the cover closed? Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Rudy,

Well, first... yes, my intention was to place a switch next to the lumbar support. I don't believe the area next to the memory buttons would work because there are a couple of chips on the circuit board at that location (difficult to see from the pic above).

I have been able to put it back together again. The problem is that the buttons don't work quite as well as they used to. I've tried this a few times (taking apart... putting back together). The buttons either end up being too stiff or they are too loose. Usually the latter.

I think this was around the time my wife told me I better not quit my day job yet (seeing as how I'm becoming a regular customer at the BMW Parts Counter).

The main issue is that the circuit board needs to fit tightly on top of button assemblies, and it covers the entire interior area. The main "problem" switch after reassembling is the 4-way seat switch.

Now that I've gone through all of this, the thought occurred to me that the plastic cover around the seat memory buttons may have been a better idea. I'm going to examine this issue tomorrow or the next day, but basically it's just a thin piece of plastic.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:04 PM
Also, how big is the jammer switch?? From the picture you posted, it looks as if there's room for a switch right next to the seat memory buttons...
[snapback]104830[/snapback]
Forgot to mention that the switch I was trying to use is a rocker switch from Radio Shack and not the toggle switch that comes with the Lidatek.

Also, this is another issue with putting this thing back together - I now have a 3/4" hole in the front cover! :'(
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:34 PM
[snapback]104822[/snapback]
Just had a thought, you maybe install the switch somehow in the Ashtray compartment, so you could have the cover closed?? Just a thought.
[snapback]104837[/snapback]
That's worth considering also. I happened to remove the ashtray a couple of weeks ago to see what was underneath it and I have not put it back in yet.

I'm pretty sure it must be relatively easy to fish a wire from the ashtray over to the driver footwell area, provided you have the carpet strip removed on the driver side of the center console.

I'm also thinking there must be someone who has posted a DIY on installing a short shift kit. I would imagine that would entail removing all or most of the panels around the shifter. Perhaps there might be some useful info in such a post.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Mar 21 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm also thinking there must be someone who has posted a DIY on installing a short shift kit.? I would imagine that would entail removing all or most of the panels around the shifter.? Perhaps there might be some useful info in such a post.
[snapback]104869[/snapback]
Are these the instructions you're looking for?:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=93717

Quick Reply: Laser Jammer Install Locations