DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KW Street Comfort Coilover Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I went from OEM sports suspension to KW V2s. Handling is much better and I feel more confident when cornering. This is my favorite mod thus far due to the fact that I experience/enjoy the coilovers every time the car is driven.

Originally Posted by wtlb
How is the ride compared to stock?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
I went from OEM sports suspension to KW V2s. Handling is much better and I feel more confident when cornering. This is my favorite mod thus far due to the fact that I experience/enjoy the coilovers every time the car is driven.
I get that the handling is much better etc. But what about ride quality... How do they absorb bumps on the highway and regular roads compared to the stock suspension?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i - Titanium Grey Metallic - aFe Cold Air Intake - KW Suspensions Street Comfort Coilovers - Staggered 19" VMR Wheels with Falken Tires

Originally Posted by franco5
Very nice man - car looks great. Congrats! I need to know please - honestly how does the ride quality compare to H&R springs in your opinion? I'm torn and am considering going back to stock as my ride w/ the H&R's is just way toooo HARSH..... I would do coil overs if the ride quality is better. I've heard that its better if you set them that way and I've heard no matter how softy of set them at its still as harsh a ride with springs. I don't really care about performance I just want my BMW ride quality back.... Your input is greatly appreciated thank you in advance!
I haven't used H&R brand springs before but from using lowering springs vs KW coilovers there is a HUGE difference. The problem with using lowering springs is the spring rate and the struts/shocks you use. You can't find the same pairing as you can with KW coilovers.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i - Titanium Grey Metallic - aFe Cold Air Intake - KW Suspensions Street Comfort Coilovers - Staggered 19" VMR Wheels with Falken Tires

Originally Posted by wtlb
How is the ride compared to stock?

I have dynamic drive so my handling was good stock but with the additional of the coilovers it has gotten better. I enjoy the ride quality. A friend of mine who knows nothing about cars was driving with me and commented on how nicely the car rode. She didn't realize that BMWs were so smooth. Then I told her I had lowered it with KW coilovers and she was shocked it was lowered and didn't ride crappy.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by franco5
I get that the handling is much better etc. But what about ride quality... How do they absorb bumps on the highway and regular roads compared to the stock suspension?
I have a mild drop on mine before of the size rims and tires I went with. I think it performs better than factory.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Members

Here is the car with the new bumper,emblems and grilles
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Members

Looks good Bro, nice write-up
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Blk5TT
Ima chick. Heres a pic from Bimmerfest

Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

LOOOL. This is too funny. Explains a this post a little bit:

Originally Posted by kashdriven
A friend of mine who knows nothing about cars was driving with me and commented on how nicely the car rode. She didn't realize that BMWs were so smooth. Then I told her I had lowered it with KW coilovers and she was shocked it was lowered and didn't ride crappy.
I was thinking, What kind of guy explains these things to a girl? Especially one that knows nothing about cars and mechanics. Everyone knows if a car rides smooth or not but you have to know how lowered cars ride to be able to judge.

So you and a female friend did this yourselves? Lots of respect. Even if you were a guy, lots of respect too!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

LOOOL. This is too funny. Explains a this post a little bit:

Originally Posted by kashdriven
A friend of mine who knows nothing about cars was driving with me and commented on how nicely the car rode. She didn't realize that BMWs were so smooth. Then I told her I had lowered it with KW coilovers and she was shocked it was lowered and didn't ride crappy.
I was thinking, What kind of guy explains these things to a girl? Especially one that knows nothing about cars and mechanics. Everyone knows if a car rides smooth or not but you have to know how lowered cars ride to be able to judge.

So you and a female friend did this yourselves? Lots of respect. Even if you were a guy, lots of respect too! But for some reason the greasy male arm in the first photo is telling me a different story

Quick Reply: KW Street Comfort Coilover Install