DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='654192' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for this great DIY and also the advice about the retrofit. I just put mine in today and had the dealer programmed the mp3 retro fit yesterday. Everything works well. The only thing I've noticed is that it takes forever to go from "CD1" to "CD2", etc. About 1-3 minutes. Is that normal?
Nevermind, I guess it just took a little time for the system to sync or something, cause now it is much faster. Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Contributors

NP
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I have a sept 03 build 530 and I am wondering will this work for my car, I don't have nav or logic 7, however I do have bluetooth working as I got a replacement control unit for that.

What are my chances to get this to work in my car? I currently have my touch hooked up through fm modulator which really sucks volume is so low I have to have the windows rolled up to hear, also there is that distinctive static in the back ground. That takes away from all the good music that I have on it, I would also love to have the control on the idrive screen please say yes
Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='658070' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:10 PM
I have a sept 03 build 530 and I am wondering will this work for my car, I don't have nav or logic 7, however I do have bluetooth working as I got a replacement control unit for that.

What are my chances to get this to work in my car? I currently have my touch hooked up through fm modulator which really sucks volume is so low I have to have the windows rolled up to hear, also there is that distinctive static in the back ground. That takes away from all the good music that I have on it, I would also love to have the control on the idrive screen please say yes
I'd say it depens on if you have the MOST bus in your car. do you know? do you have a CD-Changer? you best bet is to ask BMW if you can retrofit the iPod interface and then just do it yourself
Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='658647' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:44 PM
I'd say it depens on if you have the MOST bus in your car. do you know? do you have a CD-Changer? you best bet is to ask BMW if you can retrofit the iPod interface and then just do it yourself

No cd changer but the car is prewired for one and as I said I do have bluetooth intergrated through the replacement module in the trunk.

Okay is there away to tell? I guess I could look at the sales invoice again, but that will not tell me if it has the most bus

Rhudy I need you once again old pal old buddy old friend of ours.

How do you tell if you car has the most bus
Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

if you are prewired for a CD-Changer it should be pretty easy. look at the connector for the pre-wiring and check out if that connector would fit into the socket on the attached pic. it should be a black plug that has a fiber optic in it and should shine a red light. You can see the plug in the back too
Attached Thumbnails iPod interface installation DIY-ipod_install__8_.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='658718' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:43 PM
if you are prewired for a CD-Changer it should be pretty easy. look at the connector for the pre-wiring and check out if that connector would fit into the socket on the attached pic. it should be a black plug that has a fiber optic in it and should shine a red light. You can see the plug in the back too
cool thanks I will look tomorrow as it is dark in Va right now thanks for the info
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: Your girlfriend

If you have the prewire, it will take all of 15 minutes to install.

You'll also need the iDrive software updated to handle the iPOD; it should be free from BMW.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

I wonder if that connector can be split, say an adaptor made (Bruce Marinda) and one end go to the cd changer and the other to the ipod module? If not why would it not work both units would not be used at the same time just have to turn one or the other off.

Is it a doable thing
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: Your girlfriend

Originally Posted by buddy' post='659163' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:53 AM
I wonder if that connector can be split, say an adaptor made (Bruce Marinda) and one end go to the cd changer and the other to the ipod module? If not why would it not work both units would not be used at the same time just have to turn one or the other off.

Is it a doable thing
Well, the iPOD adaptor uses the CD interface (CD1, CD2, etc.) on the retrofitted iDrive menu system so there would be no way to switch from one CD operation (e.g. iPOD) to the "normal" CD option. Then you have the amount of space you have available in the glove box. I believe the MOST optical system routes throughout the cars and you could split it in the trunk. But, again, your iDrive menu wouldn't work correctly.

So, in theory, you could have the iPOD interface and a Sirius interface or you could have a CD changer interface and a Sirius interface but you couldn't (I believe) have an iPOD interface and a CD changer interface.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY