DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Ipod install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an AUX connection behind my console that i use. the bmw dealership said they would install the usb port for the ipod hook-up for $400, which is considerably cheaper than this DIY mod. is there a difference? i'm wondering why no one just has the dealer install it all for cheaper?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Brad Kane
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info on the board it made this project super simple, also thanks to Roger at Aftermarketbulbshop.com for the goodies.

I'm about as electronically inclined as a caveman, the sheer mention of fiber-optic blinds me with expensive repair fears, but this was truly a simple job.

Based on Schulrog/Roger's DIY instructions and several other threads on the board, I thought I would add my own photos and experiences from today.

I have an 06 e61 with CDC prep, non-mp3 capability (until monday anyway). I order my ipod unit from aftermarketbulbshop.com.

My biggest problem was finding the wires and overcoming my fear about disconnecting a fiber optic cable. I located the power plug and the fiber optic connector after removing the glove box and the fuse plate:

From there I took two flat head screwdrivers and opened up the rectangular fiber optic connector, revealing the two green cables:

The cables plug directly into the adaptor plug that was included in the OEM BMW iPod kit, making sure I had the cable with the red light going in the right direction, I snapped the wires into place so it looked like this:

Then easily plugged the new adaptor into the power plug:

The last part was to plug the power/fiberoptic cord into the back of the ipod unit and the ipod cable and zip tie into place. I didn't have the CDC bracket in there so I had to use the zip ties as pictured which I will likely clean up at another time.

So after putting everything in place I turned on the key not sure what I would find and viola, the BMW logo appeared on the ipod screen!

I assumed that everything was all good if the logo appears. My car is not coded for MP3's/ CDC so my i-drive did not see the ipod there, my appointment on Monday at BMW should solve that issue.

For anyone concerned about doing this job, don't be it's ridiculously easy. Literally, the hardest part was figuring out how to zip tie the unit into the dash without the changer bracket. The threads on the board really helped out with visualizing how to do this. The only thing that I wasn't able to really see was how the fiber optic cable re-routing worked, there were mentions of it but no pics of the red light etc (at least from what I found). Most of the threads on here, people already had the fiber optic adaptor attached to the power plug.

Hopefully this post helps a few still on the fence about adding an ipod to your e60/61.

B.
Great DIY
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530 D SE 2004

Excellent DIY job love ur skills and courage great pics will courage up some bottle to do on the weekend thanks for the great pics as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Brad Kane
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info on the board it made this project super simple, also thanks to Roger at Aftermarketbulbshop.com for the goodies.

I'm about as electronically inclined as a caveman, the sheer mention of fiber-optic blinds me with expensive repair fears, but this was truly a simple job.

Based on Schulrog/Roger's DIY instructions and several other threads on the board, I thought I would add my own photos and experiences from today.

I have an 06 e61 with CDC prep, non-mp3 capability (until monday anyway). I order my ipod unit from aftermarketbulbshop.com.

My biggest problem was finding the wires and overcoming my fear about disconnecting a fiber optic cable. I located the power plug and the fiber optic connector after removing the glove box and the fuse plate:

From there I took two flat head screwdrivers and opened up the rectangular fiber optic connector, revealing the two green cables:

The cables plug directly into the adaptor plug that was included in the OEM BMW iPod kit, making sure I had the cable with the red light going in the right direction, I snapped the wires into place so it looked like this:

Then easily plugged the new adaptor into the power plug:

The last part was to plug the power/fiberoptic cord into the back of the ipod unit and the ipod cable and zip tie into place. I didn't have the CDC bracket in there so I had to use the zip ties as pictured which I will likely clean up at another time.

So after putting everything in place I turned on the key not sure what I would find and viola, the BMW logo appeared on the ipod screen!

I assumed that everything was all good if the logo appears. My car is not coded for MP3's/ CDC so my i-drive did not see the ipod there, my appointment on Monday at BMW should solve that issue.

For anyone concerned about doing this job, don't be it's ridiculously easy. Literally, the hardest part was figuring out how to zip tie the unit into the dash without the changer bracket. The threads on the board really helped out with visualizing how to do this. The only thing that I wasn't able to really see was how the fiber optic cable re-routing worked, there were mentions of it but no pics of the red light etc (at least from what I found). Most of the threads on here, people already had the fiber optic adaptor attached to the power plug.

Hopefully this post helps a few still on the fence about adding an ipod to your e60/61.

B.
Great.... Can you tell me how much did the programming at BMW cost, along with the unit price? Also, if it will work with 2006, 530I, with MP3 and CD Change (no nav)...
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Members

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay8s
you pry the u shaped piece off of the other. the U will most likely break, the you pull the fiber optics out of the ends. hope that helps
Pretty sure you don't need to break or use that connector if you just follow the fibre cable you will find that one end (inside the glovebox) already comes with the 2 cables into 1 plug and will slot directly into the ipod unit.
That's what I did for my Dension.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Pretty sure you don't need to break or use that connector if you just follow the fibre cable you will find that one end (inside the glovebox) already comes with the 2 cables into 1 plug and will slot directly into the ipod unit.
That's what I did for my Dension.
That is how it is set-up if you already have the cd player. The u shaped connector needs to be broken if you don't have a cd changer to make the addition to the MOST loop.