DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Ipod install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

Good stuff! Must have mod. I noticed your says mp3 1, mp3 2 etc... mine says cd1, cd2... weird.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by kduff70' post='1073551' date='Dec 14 2009, 03:36 PM
I have and 06 e60 and I seem to have all the wiring in the picture now if I install the most interface ipod adapter will have to go to the dealer to have my ipod program or will is work after everything is connected?
If your version of iDrive plays MP3s and you have the CD changer, replacing it with the iPod module is an easy DIY. No dealership re-programming is necessary. However, if they ever need to service the iDrive or update it for some reason, they will likely charge a re-programming fee. That's because the car still thinks it has the CD changer and not the iPod module. Any SW updates fail unless they first program it to show the module.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Great write-up!!! Love your level of detail. I had mine installed by the dealer this summer. I think they charged me ~$280 to install and program. My SA told me it was cheaper last year because they would update your firmware for free. Now they charge you for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Members

I have space in my glove compartment to put a cd changer or IPod the only thing is that I only have the CD that?s on the console. But I have all the wiring to connect an IPod or a CD player. If I install the IPod adapter will I have to get the software reprogram and what do the dealers usually charge for reprogramming?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

So I have a 04 with a cd player, this means I can wire mine up too? I don't really need to see the songs, I just want a aux input which I wouldnt mind replacing the cd player with since I never use it. I just hate using the fm transmitter.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher' post='1044105' date='Oct 31 2009, 07:35 AM
Schulrog I would love to buy this ipod unit from you but your sitei is showing out of stock. Can you PM me where else I can get this. for example can I buy direct from a BMW dealer or do you supply a different kit with differing connectors etc ?

I burned an MP3 cd and put in my 6 CD changer in the glovebox. It played the MP3's without fault, so I guess my car in MP3 coded (2008 model).

Thanks
BMW recently switched to a "new" iPOD interface, which caused a delay in them hitting the US. What exactly the "new" means I have no idea as I haven't had a chance to play with one yet but they are back in stock now
Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1076031' date='Dec 18 2009, 03:57 PM
So I have a 04 with a cd player, this means I can wire mine up too? I don't really need to see the songs, I just want a aux input which I wouldnt mind replacing the cd player with since I never use it. I just hate using the fm transmitter.
Yup. You can add an iPOD interface as well. In fact, as far as I know, all E60s are compatible
Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Hi There,

I have a question regarding the fiber optic cables. I'm having a hard time removing the round plastic thing that I'm pointing to in your picture. Did you just pull the two wires from each end of the plastic thing? I'm worried that if I pull the green cables I'm going to damage the optic wires! Did you also pull the negative cable of the battery before doing any of this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Brad Kane
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info on the board it made this project super simple, also thanks to Roger at Aftermarketbulbshop.com for the goodies.

I'm about as electronically inclined as a caveman, the sheer mention of fiber-optic blinds me with expensive repair fears, but this was truly a simple job.

Based on Schulrog/Roger's DIY instructions and several other threads on the board, I thought I would add my own photos and experiences from today.

I have an 06 e61 with CDC prep, non-mp3 capability (until monday anyway). I order my ipod unit from aftermarketbulbshop.com.

My biggest problem was finding the wires and overcoming my fear about disconnecting a fiber optic cable. I located the power plug and the fiber optic connector after removing the glove box and the fuse plate:

From there I took two flat head screwdrivers and opened up the rectangular fiber optic connector, revealing the two green cables:

The cables plug directly into the adaptor plug that was included in the OEM BMW iPod kit, making sure I had the cable with the red light going in the right direction, I snapped the wires into place so it looked like this:

Then easily plugged the new adaptor into the power plug:

The last part was to plug the power/fiberoptic cord into the back of the ipod unit and the ipod cable and zip tie into place. I didn't have the CDC bracket in there so I had to use the zip ties as pictured which I will likely clean up at another time.

So after putting everything in place I turned on the key not sure what I would find and viola, the BMW logo appeared on the ipod screen!

I assumed that everything was all good if the logo appears. My car is not coded for MP3's/ CDC so my i-drive did not see the ipod there, my appointment on Monday at BMW should solve that issue.

For anyone concerned about doing this job, don't be it's ridiculously easy. Literally, the hardest part was figuring out how to zip tie the unit into the dash without the changer bracket. The threads on the board really helped out with visualizing how to do this. The only thing that I wasn't able to really see was how the fiber optic cable re-routing worked, there were mentions of it but no pics of the red light etc (at least from what I found). Most of the threads on here, people already had the fiber optic adaptor attached to the power plug.

Hopefully this post helps a few still on the fence about adding an ipod to your e60/61.

B.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod install-img_1525.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

you pry the u shaped piece off of the other. the U will most likely break, the you pull the fiber optics out of the ends. hope that helps
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Members

"I just opened my loop tonight. There is a square box where the two wires join shown in this thread already. You need to pry open the square box. I used a utility knife with a flat sharp blade to pop open the box. After you get the box off there will be a cylindrical connector. From this point gently pull with steady force on the fiber optic cable on one side. The wire should pop right out at this point. "

I followed this procedure and I got to the cylindrical connector (the u shaped piece?). I could not pull the fiber optic cable out from the cylindrical connector although I used some strength. I stopped here because I do not want to break the wires. Anybody can help? Thank you so much!

Quick Reply: Ipod install