DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Interior Drive side Paint Pealing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paint on my door handle interior is pealing off is there a way to repair this and does any one else have this problem? This is happening on my 530I 06
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kduff70
The paint on my door handle interior is pealing off is there a way to repair this and does any one else have this problem? This is happening on my 530I 06
Unfortunately, peeling trim is a problem with almost all BMWs. I don't believe it can be repaired, only replaced. I had this piece, my driver's side window switch, my passenger side window switch, and my climate control faceplate all replaced under factory warranty.

Since you have an 06, this is probably not an option. Ask your service advisor if you have a good relationship with them to good will replace it. This shouldn't happen on this caliber of cars.

The pieces themselves new are pricey (like $182.00 for the window switch, $300 for the climate, I think $81.00 for the pull handle).

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

remove the trim. use some alcohol and that freakin goo gone wipe all of it down. Get that plastic paint thing. Plastidip should work and spray it evenly. Fixed...
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Members

Hey thank you guy for your advice unfortunately I'm out of warranty, so I would either have to buy these parts on try the Plasti dip .I would like to try the Plasti dip I saw some good DIY with it but the only thing is I would like to do it with tan color. I don?t see any tan colors or DIY . The Plasti dip seem to work wonder with black color, but I wonder about tan has any one seen it in tan color?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Would any of yeah have the link to the DIY plasti dip. I can't seem to find it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Members

Does anybody have any suggestion on the coloring using Plastidip
Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Members

Just a quick update to this thread... My gear surround (the black trim piece with the auto status LEDs in it) was pretty scratched up and I wanted to replace it. The new part was way too expensive from BMW so I bought a used one on eBay for a few quid. When it arrived, it also had the dreaded peeling around one of the corners, but as it was so cheap I decided to have a go at tidying it up. What I discovered is that the 'soft-touch' rubbery paint that always gets scuffed is actually very very easy to remove completely and the plastic finish underneath is actually very similar in colour:

Fist, I removed the electronics from underneath the surround (just three screws) as I was going to use a bit of water. My original plan was to use a soft scouring pad, but I realised very soon that the finish would actually come of just by rubbing it with my thumb. The combination if the friction and a bit of water was all it took. Some stubborn bits needed me to use my fingernail, but that's all. Once I got the technique down, I was rolling large pieces off at a time (no wonder this stuff always peels if it's this easy to remove)

When I'd finished, there were a few very light swirl marks where I'd tested the scourer, but as long as you only use the friction of your own thumb, you should avoid those completely. I Put the 'new' piece into the car and honestly, no one would notice the difference. I'm considering using the same technique on my patchy window switch panels too now. I might even do it without removing them, if I can limit the amount of water used.