DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

installing and coding Dension Gateway 500 BT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile installing and coding Dension Gateway 500 BT?

Hi all!

I've got a Dension Gateway 500 BT, and my car is a '06 525i. As per Dension's install instructions, I've removed the CD Changer and installed the Dension device without any problems. But now, I need to program the car to get the device recognized. I know that I need to code the IPOD and MP3 options, and also the Bluetooth/Phone options. My car doesn't read MP3 from the dashboard or the CD Changer, and also I didn't have the bluetooth module.

Right now, I've got a phone signal indicator on the I-Drive, but I can't see the Dension device in any other way (it doesn't show the CD1-CD6 options, as it did before with the CD Changer).
I did the setting of the DIP switches according to the manual, so I believe that the Dension part is OK.

My questions are:

- Can I code my car with an ELM327 bluetooth adapter that I have working with Torque? I've already have NCS Expert, and I feel very confortable with software in general. Or I need the cable menctioned on other posts?
- Is a requirement to update the software of my car to the latest version? or can I just enable the options so the Dension gateway works? The local dealer is charging me more than USD 250 just to update the software, without setting the options required for the Dension Gateway. A trusted indy shop wants USD 200 for the update/coding.

Also, I want to put the microphone on the OEM position, besides the sunroof controls, but I don't know how to route the cable to the CD Changer original position (where the Dension Gateway is right now). Is there any DIY for this??? or any member that can share his experience?

thanks a lot for your help!!!!!

regards

Francisco.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05" 530i

WTB ipod retrofit kit or Dension Gateway 500..
Anybody willing to sell new or used shoot me a PM With the price
Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
New Members

Pcreary6, I buyed it directly from Dension (shop.dension.com)..... they are very nice people, and the item arrived without any problems using DHL in less than a week (from Hungary to Chile!!!!)

regards
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Frivas, I think you first need to get the Denison recognized as the CD player. If you can't see the Denison on the idrive that's a problem. You may need to experiment a bit with the switches and be sure to power the Denison down each time you change the switches.

Once you have that sorted, I ran the microphone wire up between the door gasket and the A pillar trim. Remove the sun visor and pull the sunroof control panel down. Then snake the microphone wire under the headliner. I left the microphone protrude by the stock microphone, some people have placed it under the stock microphone grill.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05" 530i

Thanks for the info Frivas.. Thats pretty fast shipping..
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
New Members

well, right now I've just buyed a cable to code my car, so I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm pretty sure that the Dension is connected OK, because I get the cell signal indicator on the i-drive screen, but without any signal, so that means at least that the bluetooth part of the Dension is being recognized.

As soon as I get the cable, I'll post more information here..!!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: M5

Hi Frivas,

How did you go with your coding ?

I've just installed mine (similar setup as yours) but I can't select CD1-6 at all.

I'm going to try and code the +MP3K option but since I've never used NCSexport before I was wondering how you went.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
New Members

As soon as I got the cable, I did the +KMP3 and the +IPOD, but they didn't worked as expected. So I've added the options using NCS Dummy (to edit the NCS Expert file that you get when you read the options of the car), and it worked like a charm! Enabled mp3 and bluetooth and it did the trick.
The only problem was that sometimes the audio wasn't being routed from the bluetooth phone to the dension, but it was solved on the last firmware available on their site, and now my system works great!
Also, I've put the microphone on the original position (besides the top lights), and routed the cable thru the A pillar on the right. I didn't have to unmount everything: just remove the screws from the top mirror thing on the passenger side, and you are done with the space needed to push the cable on the top. Then, go down using the border of the A pillar (without dissasembly!!), pass the cable behind the seal of the door, and enter the glove box from below.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Members

You also need to have CDC set to aktiv and MP3_CCC set to full in CAPPL