DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Install Dension Gateway 500 (without CD-Changer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw E61 535d (fully equipped)

Hello everybody.
You are my last chans! I bought Gateway 500 and want to install it to my Bmw 523 (E60). I have i-drive without Navi, CD-Changer. I found here in forum how to install Gateway 500 if man has CD-Changer. But how to install it if I have NOT CD changer? I have only empty pocket in CD-changer's place. There is no some cabeles which connecting CD Changer. Must I activate some funktion in the car to support CD-changer? Thank you all.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I'm similar w/ you ... no Nav, no CDC but has CDC pre-wire option from factory (option code 694).

If you have CDC prep. you'll find a bundled MOST fiber wire & power for it tucked in somewhere in that empty pocket ... if you car did not come w/ CDC prep. option you probably have to connect the fiber MOST to somewhere behind cd-player in the dash ... then you have to go to the dealer to activate at least iPod module (maybe also MP3 support to be able to see text).
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
I'm similar w/ you ... no Nav, no CDC but has CDC pre-wire option from factory (option code 694).

If you have CDC prep. you'll find a bundled MOST fiber wire & power for it tucked in somewhere in that empty pocket ... if you car did not come w/ CDC prep. option you probably have to connect the fiber MOST to somewhere behind cd-player in the dash ... then you have to go to the dealer to activate at least iPod module (maybe also MP3 support to be able to see text).
How can I know if I have CDC prep. option? I did not see bundle with fiber & power. May be I just missed it?
How it looks?
How can I remove CD player?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

You can check w/ your dealer regarding options your car have ... the CDC prep option code should be 694.
You can use the search function (upper right corner) for pics & threads regarding how it looks there are a lot of them and same goes for dash panel removal to access the stuff on the dash.

Originally Posted by kimalex79
How can I know if I have CDC prep. option? I did not see bundle with fiber & power. May be I just missed it?
How it looks?
How can I remove CD player?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

If you have CDC prep and MP3 capability, do you still need dealer programming? I only show FA, AM, WB (weather band), CD on my iDrive entertainment options. Will the iDrive recognize the Dension without dealer programming?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes of course additional source require coding/programming otherwise will not show up ... Dension act as CDC in addition to whatever many source you have now you'll get CD1-6 ... CDC prep is just the wiring. Also, when you have the dealer do coding have them code it as iPod interface (Dension will announce itself as iPod interface) not CDC ... as it'll fail if you do ... as you probably already know too the device must be already installed during coding ... can't really code it w/o it at the dealer and install it at home afterward

Originally Posted by chalankanoa
If you have CDC prep and MP3 capability, do you still need dealer programming? I only show FA, AM, WB (weather band), CD on my iDrive entertainment options. Will the iDrive recognize the Dension without dealer programming?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Members

You can check w/ your dealer regarding options your car have
What is it? :-)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Ummm check and ask with your dealer to see if your car come with option #694 which is CD Changer preparation/pre-wire.

Originally Posted by kimalex79
What is it? :-)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Members

Ummm check and ask with your dealer to see if your car come with option #694 which is CD Changer preparation/pre-wire.
Sorry for stupid question. How can I check and see #694 code in the car? Must I go to dealer to check it?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Members

Now Dension is mounted. Our dealer says I must not only activate CD-changer funktion...I must to reprogramm cars software too. It takes 4-7 hours. Is it so necessary? Our dealer wants 400 euro to do it!!!! My car mades in 2006 year.
What do you suggests to me? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Install Dension Gateway 500 (without CD-Changer)