DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to fix/ replace a dented steering wheel emblem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 525xi

Guys,

So I'm out driving today and I look down and notice my steering wheel emblem dented....

I've been reading through forums and I've done the research. What I've found is that its impossible to remove the emblem because its apart of the airbag. Is this true? Or is it on with tape?

I've read that others recommend putting an existing emblem on top of the original one. How does this look? Can you actually tell that there is one under it? I don't want the fix to look like shit but I think it will annoy me to stare at it the way it looks now. Have any of you experienced this? I'd appreciate any feed back
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwvmi02
Guys,
So I'm out driving today and I look down and notice my steering wheel emblem dented....
I've been reading through forums and I've done the research. What I've found is that its impossible to remove the emblem because its apart of the airbag. Is this true? Or is it on with tape? I've read that others recommend putting an existing emblem on top of the original one. How does this look? Can you actually tell that there is one under it? I don't want the fix to look like shit but I think it will annoy me to stare at it the way it looks now. Have any of you experienced this? I'd appreciate any feed back
You wrote, "What I've found is that its impossible to remove the emblem because it's a part of the airbag." This is true. To correct the dented Roundel you can either replace the airbag or buy a replacement Roundel that fastens over the existing one. I haven't done it personally but others have and I've not read any complaints. They're pretty thin and shouldn't protrude. I have a small shallow depression on mine - I suspect that at one time or another in a panic situation I blew the horn by smacking the center of the wheel - right where the Roundel is.

Knowing that situation is somewhat probable I wonder why BMW chose to use an emblem that can't be replaced easily - I totally understand making it "soft" since I wouldn't want a solid disc smacking me in the face if the airbag were deployed in an accident!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I actually have two roundels over my original, and you can't tell a difference unless you're looking at the sides specifically.

I do recall someone actually getting the original off by knifing it, but honestly, just place it over it, it's no big deal.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I actually have two roundels over my original, and you can't tell a difference unless you're looking at the sides specifically.

I do recall someone actually getting the original off by knifing it, but honestly, just place it over it, it's no big deal.
Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. @ Nomis_nehc - Where did you get the roundel? Quality good? Most importantly, is it made with the same material as the oem emblem? I'm just wondering in case the airbag ever has to deploy I'm not gonna have to worry about some metal roundal cracking me in the head.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Members

I was also wondering if a suction cup could pull the dent out. I can't believe BMW puts a roundel on the steering wheel thats vulnerable to getting dented and the only fix is purchasing a new air bag. $800 to replace the emblem is a joke. Not a chance
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Check out my post here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...st__p__1251550

And prior to these sets, I had the black and white emblems courtesy of Trinity Autosport.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Check out my post here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...st__p__1251550

And prior to these sets, I had the black and white emblems courtesy of Trinity Autosport.
+1 Khoalty sells great roundels and cheap price, I'd check it out.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

I was thinking the same thing with the suction cup thing