DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Homemade Dual Intake on STOCK Box for 545i

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i

looks great man
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='701788' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:54 PM
Is your car SAT or MT?
SAT

Well, im not fan of your mods lol but i will give you credit, it does look a lot better than the previous one.
tbal, leave us in peace, DIY hater. Credit? lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

I try to be nice, i guess your diaper is still wet from the truth, lets just leave it at that. So does your diy dyno (ur butt) say +25hp for this mod?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Wow, great improvement. Are you using the stock filter? A performance filter in that airbox it will make a big difference.

Just a note: the flexible PVC pipes are known for bad air flow because once it isn't flat inside it creates alot of turbulence. Next time try something like samco pipes. They have different types of elbows and sizes. And buy also black clamps.

Tbal,
I give all my credits to Miguex for his effort. I know that buying something for just "plug and play" is alot easier, but custom jobs are alot funnier. The custom route is also more expensive because you buy a bunch of useless stuff during the R&D process.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='702039' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:39 AM
Wow, great improvement. Are you using the stock filter? A performance filter in that airbox it will make a big difference.

Just a note: the flexible PVC pipes are known for bad air flow because once it isn't flat inside it creates alot of turbulence. Next time try something like samco pipes. They have different types of elbows and sizes. And buy also black clamps.

Tbal,
I give all my credits to Miguex for his effort. I know that buying something for just "plug and play" is alot easier, but custom jobs are alot funnier. The custom route is also more expensive because you buy a bunch of useless stuff during the R&D process.
Great Tip! Thanks. I thought the flexible pvc pipes creates a twister (because it is like a twister) to allow a better air flow into the intake , please correct me. Like I said we can improve it (it is fully reversible) with all your ideas. Please continue posting your ideas, tips, etc.. We build it together.

I will try with samco pipes.

Yes, it is a must with a Performance filter (BMC, K&N, etc) like I said in the first post. I have K&N filter.

With stock filter it may block the airflow.

Again, thank you. Exactly custom jobs is one of my hobbies and the stupids, jealous and envy like tbal are still bugging us. Just ignore them. He can post whatever he wants. He is my $0.01.

I got 6 pms from interested members for more details on the DIY.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributors

This morning I drove the car to work. big difference and it is quick too also much more quieter. I admit I am not sure which is better Dual with AFE or Dual with Stock. I can't wait the G tech.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

The only way to creat a twist effect is by putting something like this...

Homemade Dual Intake on STOCK Box for 545i-airpower.jpg

... inside of a flat intake pipe. I've seen diesels cars (mitsubishi, bmw's...) that came from factory with something like the one in the foto inside of the intake pipe. The flex PVC reduce the speed of the air due to the rough interior. But IMO, a flat pipe is more than enough for a good air flow. No need for twisted air.

About the power gains, the sound can fool the dyno butt test. Quieter don't mean slower. Of course that a CAI improve the sound, but in most cars, specially in the N/A engines, a good airbox is the best way to increase hp for all wheather conditions.

You don't need to wait for the G-tech device. Go to a long and straight empty road. Then check the time from 2000rpm till red line in 3rd gear. Lower time = better performance.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='702278' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:32 AM
The only way to creat a twist effect is by putting something like this...

... inside of a flat intake pipe. I've seen diesels cars (mitsubishi, bmw's...) that came from factory with something like the one in the foto inside of the intake pipe. The flex PVC reduce the speed of the air due to the rough interior. But IMO, a flat pipe is more than enough for a good air flow. No need for twisted air.

About the power gains, the sound can fool the dyno butt test. Quieter don't mean slower. Of course that a CAI improve the sound, but in most cars, specially in the N/A engines, a good airbox is the best way to increase hp for all wheather conditions.

You don't need to wait for the G-tech device. Go to a long and straight empty road. Then check the time from 2000rpm till red line in 3rd gear. Lower time = better performance.
another great tip!!! I never knew doing the 2000rpm to red in 3gear with time. I will do it.

Ok, I will find a flat pipe. Do the elbows help?

thank you.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by miguex' post='701648' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:11 AM
UPDATED! DONE!!! PROJECT DONE! My second Stock Box has arrived from BAVARIA Today.

I have decided not put more pictures, step by step, measures, etc becasue there are DIY haters out there. Anyone one who are really interested just please PM and I will give you more pictures, videos.
No come on, don't hold out on us.

We can handle the truth!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='702356' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:51 AM
No come on, don't hold out on us.

We can handle the truth!
I will think about it.

Quick Reply: Homemade Dual Intake on STOCK Box for 545i