DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Hiden License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by G530
Darn Gene, you're quicker than a cat, thanks man. I forgot about this post.

Yeah, I agree the mechanics may be no match for the elements, is why I might go ghetto and do manual just enough to keep our law officers looking elsewhere.

John Brabusman, how long have you had this and any performance issues? do you have to take off bumper or cut mesh to install? Anyone? Thanks.
Distinctive is great! Had mine installed a few years back (manual version set me back $150 if I remember correctly)
And yeah, they cut the mesh a bit and drilled two holes underneath the bumper.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Manual version $150? wow. I bought the automatic one for $140. Easy as hell to install! I didnt do it tho. I guided the body shop guy to do it.

Just spray it with pb blast once in a while to lubricate it or keep some KY on it.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Other than maintaining a clean front bumper cover appearance, it is also a cool factor.

A friend of mine with a Porsche 911, moving at the speed limit during the day on an empty city street, was pulled over by an officer in a patrol car. He instinctively knew it was for the hidden front plate. As they pulled over, with the patrol car behind the Porsche, he moved the front plate to the up position using the remote controller. After the introductory banter, my friend was told he was stopped for not having a front plate. My friend said, "But I do have a front plate." The office walked to the front of the Porsche, walked back to my friend and apologized for the inconvenience and wished him a good day
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Easy as hell to install! I didnt do it tho. I guided the body shop guy to
Got it! LOL

Originally Posted by vkhong
Other than maintaining a clean front bumper cover appearance, it is also a cool factor.

A friend of mine with a Porsche 911, moving at the speed limit during the day on an empty city street, was pulled over by an officer in a patrol car. He instinctively knew it was for the hidden front plate. As they pulled over, with the patrol car behind the Porsche, he moved the front plate to the up position using the remote controller. After the introductory banter, my friend was told he was stopped for not having a front plate. My friend said, "But I do have a front plate." The office walked to the front of the Porsche, walked back to my friend and apologized for the inconvenience and wished him a good day

I guess these electro gadgets hasn't caught our black and white friend's attention yet! Wouldnt think this is hard to spot compared to screwed in plates

manual goes for $60 now but would be difficult to pull the same illusion from the driver's seat....maybe hook up a fishing rod...going GHETTO all the way!!! LOL
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

where can you get the hidden L plate I checked online but its different, it doesnt flip like how your guys are. Anyone got the website for it I wanna check it out.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 550I

Originally Posted by NC916
where can you get the hidden L plate I checked online but its different, it doesnt flip like how your guys are. Anyone got the website for it I wanna check it out.
this site sells them they should fit the same for our cars

http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette...se-plates.html
Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

cool thanks well I was thinking of putting it on my TL, well maybe ahah.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Looks like I will be getting at least one for our Mercedes. Wife just got popped for it last week. Of course she just tells me now.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NC916

That's sooo clean. I think I'll eventually need this. I wonder where I can get this installed in the Bay Area???
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Contributors

just a little dremel it should be fairly easy since these guys say its easy to do. dremel the mesh a little then screw the motor on the inside bumper.

Quick Reply: Hiden License Plate