DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help removing rear AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been covered in the DIY section, but I have been trying to remove the rear AC vents for three days with various tools and haven't had any luck. I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this so my frustration level is reaching a boiling point. I am sliding things like putty knives and I even have two heavy, tapered, nylon pan scrapers that look nearly identical to the Special BMW Tools noted in the PDF files, but still no luck.
Any tips from those of you who have accomplished this, seemingly simple, task?
I know I am trying to release a clip on each side, but beyond that.....what am I doing wrong.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I removed those panels when I hardwired my iPod--this thread has some pix which may help.:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430

You first remove the bottom panel (which holds the 2 power outlets). I used a metal spackle knife, which I inserted at the bottom of each side and pried the knife away from the center of the car. You need to use a bit of force, and I also found having the front seats all the way forward gave me more room. It took a bit of force and I was worried about damaging the wood veneer, but eventually decided to use more force. It eventually snaps out from the bottom, then you remove it bottom first, since it's tongue-and-grooved with the bottom of the A/C vent panel.

The A/C panel has 2 clips at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Members

Thanks Stream......that is very helpful. I believe I am most likely just not applying enough force. Since replacing the panel would cost as much as having BMW sevice do the phone cradle install I was hesitant to really "lay in to it".
I'll try applying max force this evening and see what happens.
Thanks again!

Byu the way...your iPod install looks the business!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by stream' post='141977' date='Jun 22 2005, 09:32 AM
I removed those panels when I hardwired my iPod--this thread has some pix which may help.:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430

You first remove the bottom panel (which holds the 2 power outlets). I used a metal spackle knife, which I inserted at the bottom of each side and pried the knife away from the center of the car. You need to use a bit of force, and I also found having the front seats all the way forward gave me more room. It took a bit of force and I was worried about damaging the wood veneer, but eventually decided to use more force. It eventually snaps out from the bottom, then you remove it bottom first, since it's tongue-and-grooved with the bottom of the A/C vent panel.

The A/C panel has 2 clips at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove.
This thread is very helpful, Stream. Thanks. I will only add that gently sliding credit cards on both sides of the power plug insert toward the bottom was easiest way to push in the little clips, thus allowing you to slide the wood insert out. I found that using a metal painter's tool was hard on the wood IMO. The clips are on both sides, closer to the bottom. I used AMEX (don't leave home without.) Thanks.