DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP!! My iDrive Turned BLUE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the triple posts in a row, Harry, if they replace the MASK, will they have to replace the CID as well? Can the new MASK be used with the original CID that I already have?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the CID is independent of the M-ASK. As far as the keys are concerned, something may be wrong with the CAS module or the FBD (remote control) service.

The CAS module controls a ton of things. Take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=46572
Old 10-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Contributors

If its is infact not the key's fault, you're saying that it might be the CAS and FBD right? If it is really those stuff's fault, is it easy to replace? or do they have to rip the whole car apart? I wish they don't have to rip the whole car apart, I mean looking at the diagram of the first pdf file on your link, its a real mess. This module, is it any how related to the MASK or CID where I worked on? Thanks Rudy for showing me that thread.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:23 AM
Contributors

Everything in my car works fine, so I'm thinking the CAS module is not the one causing the problem, it might be the FBD service tho. The car will not respond to remote controls, but if you un plug the batter and plug it back in, the seat memory and everything works fine, until you lock it with the key and unlock with the key manually, then the seat memory won't work and the remote never works either. They're saying they'll finish this Tuesday, but I highly doubt it, if they don't find the key problem. What a grief? I'm still wondering if the things I work on behind the CID, could've caused this problem. Please let me know someone. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='342519' date='Oct 7 2006, 07:23 AM
I'm still wondering if the things I work on behind the CID, could've caused this problem. Please let me know someone. Thanks.
Well anytime someone does "surgery" on a car (especially a car as sophisticated as the E60) there is a risk of something else getting messed up. At this point, it's hard to link the work you did to the remote key issue but who knows?

I suppose you'll soon learn what's going on and what modules failed...

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributors

I will say this here, that I will NEVER touch the electrical system on this car ever again. Only exterior mods from now on. If I do, I'd only add more things rather than modifying something or intercepting something, like RGB signals, or CAN signals. If I want TV, i'd add a third party TV or something, never ever touching another BMW wire. Learned my lesson! thanks everyone for your input, I will update again once I get my car back.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

525iSE,
Touch BMW electrical is just like any other car as long as you know what you're doing and having some literature such as wiring diagram at hand before doing the work.
I've never touched any BMW signals unless I know what that is and what it's doing. That's why I never have any problem with all my electrical mods.
Anyway, what's your plan on the navtv unit?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributors

I already asked Dom if I could return it and he said, yes. But there's Thai guy who wants it here, so I might just sell it to him. Not sure yet. I had everything to install the unit and like I said, everything worked fine for a few minutes, maybe 15-20 minutes, then it just turned blue. Maybe the navtv unit failed? But now, they said, they'll order the M-ASK from BMW Thailand and install a new M-ASK which will come in on Monday, as for the remote control, they haven't found the problem yet. Hopefully they find it monday, order parts on the same day and get it tuesday morning, finish installing everything by Tuesday evening like they promised. They didn't even loan me a car when they're keeping my car for like 5 days. They are smart too, they keepy saying they can't find the problem until saturday, so they dono how long it'll take to repair, then they find the problem saturday evening, and its too late to prepare paper works for the loaner car, then sunday, they're closed, then monday and tuesday, its just two days, they wont loan a car for two days! But this is coming from a dealer that I didn't buy my car from, so no complains there, just get the car fixed and I'm happy!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

is MASK the controller of the Idrvie? or the LCD screen?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Contributors

M-ASK is like the main brain for most of the iDrives and audios stuff. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or give more detail. The LCD is connected to the MASK.

Quick Reply: HELP!! My iDrive Turned BLUE