DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP: iPod interface install issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, my SA was going on and on about MP3's not being recommended by the factory, in fact being warned against mp3's. That if a mp3 disc gets stuck in teh drive, the warranty won't cover it, and that this dealer will have to send out the drive to remove the disc. I told him (might not be true) that the owner's manual tells me I can play mp3's, and the SIB tells me this update will fix my car, so just do it.

Lewis

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='758283' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:35 AM
I brought the SIB for the MP3 to my dealer yesterday, as my warranty runs out on monday. The SA hemmed and hawed, but eventually said he would try. They are also doing a bunch of other items I wanted addressed, like an engine ticking noise at 2500+ RPM, and my Sirius tuner cutting out constantly.

Seems they needed more time, so they still have the car, might get it back today (saturday) otherwise monday. I have the IPOD kit waiting to go in.

Lewis
2005 545i 6speed manual, sapphire black, nav, sport, cold weather, logic7
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='758362' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:35 PM
My '06 530xi is able to play MP3s. Can I assume that I could remove the CDC and install the iPod interface kit myself and it will work without any reprogramming/flashing etc.?
yup it'll work just fine
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='758517' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:04 PM
oh, my SA was going on and on about MP3's not being recommended by the factory, in fact being warned against mp3's. That if a mp3 disc gets stuck in teh drive, the warranty won't cover it, and that this dealer will have to send out the drive to remove the disc. I told him (might not be true) that the owner's manual tells me I can play mp3's, and the SIB tells me this update will fix my car, so just do it.

Lewis
HAHA no way.. that's the best SA response I've heard so far to get out of doing the mp3 programming for free! he's full of "you know what"
Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

I am doing mine soon (Once I have ordered all the bits) but as I dont have a CDC, I need to get my CDC Option Enabled.

I'm curious as to wether the Techies will have a root around the CDC area to see If I have installed the iPod Interface, and then charge me for it.
As I dont have a CDC, I assume I must have either the CDC or the iPod Interface connected up whilst having the option enabled?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yes, you'll need either of the module present during coding as the programming process will check the module first.

Originally Posted by Sagar' post='759002' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:36 AM
I am doing mine soon (Once I have ordered all the bits) but as I dont have a CDC, I need to get my CDC Option Enabled.

I'm curious as to wether the Techies will have a root around the CDC area to see If I have installed the iPod Interface, and then charge me for it.
As I dont have a CDC, I assume I must have either the CDC or the iPod Interface connected up whilst having the option enabled?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='759016' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, you'll need either of the module present during coding as the programming process will check the module first.
Thanks
Just reading through some of the problems others have had and getting things sorted before I order in the bits!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

yup.. you should have one or the other connected.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Members

update.

So, got the car back, rolled out of the service bay as the service department was closing.

Updated "software" according to the SA, including CCC to "latest version", getting me the same functionality I had in my previous 5er, such as:

Government warning message goes away by itself, and Idrive screen returns to mode it was previously in

Split screen allows left side to be in a non-nav mode, right side will show map, but will switch to arrow display when the time is right

and....ta da

MP3's work, even tho the SA still advises against it, says the disc will get stuck...HA

SA also wants me to rev the car 5 times when I first start it up, and take it for a long drive every saturday.

ok, the SA is a moron, but now I know I can add my ipod adapter and be up and running.

Lewis
Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='760289' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:40 PM
update.

So, got the car back, rolled out of the service bay as the service department was closing.

Updated "software" according to the SA, including CCC to "latest version", getting me the same functionality I had in my previous 5er, such as:

Government warning message goes away by itself, and Idrive screen returns to mode it was previously in

Split screen allows left side to be in a non-nav mode, right side will show map, but will switch to arrow display when the time is right

and....ta da

MP3's work, even tho the SA still advises against it, says the disc will get stuck...HA

SA also wants me to rev the car 5 times when I first start it up, and take it for a long drive every saturday.

ok, the SA is a moron, but now I know I can add my ipod adapter and be up and running.

Lewis
HAHA rev the engine 5 times and go for a long drive every saturday? that guy truely is out of his mind! lol

Glad everything worked out! You can get the iPod Interface @ my store www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Members

I had the ipod adapter from the previous car, plugged it in this morning, and presto-it works.

I'll say it for all the disbelievers out there...last time, I installed the ipod adapter on a car with no logic7 nor 6 disc changer, and the dealer had all kinds of trouble doing the update. Do the update first, better yet, make sure the in dash cd player plays MP3's and borrow a 6 disc changer. Once the upgrade is done, the ipod adapter is plug and play.

Lewis

Quick Reply: HELP: iPod interface install issues...