DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP: iPod interface install issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2
Arrow

Happy Holidays All....

Well... my wife picked me up a iPod interface kit for me, so I was psyched to get going on the DIY install. Thanks to Schulrog's great post (link below), it took longer to find a couple tools than to actually remove the CDC and install the interface. BUT (yes... seems like I always have those in my stories these days), the iDrive didn't recognize the iPod (although it showed connected and charging on the iPod itself).

Here are a couple of my questions/ask for assistance:
1) my bld date is 01/2005 and has NAV and CDC. Is this feasible to have it work.
2) I received the kit part number 65 11 0 036 448 (but the unit itself shows #65 41 0 411 033) See pix below. Anyone know if this is correct right kit # and/or inface #?
3) I have been updated to CIP 31.2 (last week), but my dealer states that my car will not play mp3's due to the CCC being prior to 3/2005. Will this be an issue? I tried to get them to do the SIB for the mp3 playback, but they wouldn't as with the 01/2005 bld, stated would not work anyway.
4) If all is ok, is there an additional programing that needs to occur at the dealer to allow the iPod to be usable? If so, what does that run?

Schulrog's great instructions

Any help/advise here would be VERY much appreciated, as I'm really bummed!

Kit part number: *448
Unit part number: *033
HELP:  iPod interface install issues...-dsc_0019.jpg
Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Always glad to help

Disregard the # on the actual iPod interface. I don't think it matches with the box number.

Anyway, that's BS. It will work... Technically, if you look up the compatibility, BMW will say it doesn't work for some models. I was told the same since my build date was 05/04. I've mentioned this many times before but don't mention anything regarding ipod interface integration to your dealer.

1. They don't know what's going on
2. They'll want to charge you for coding, installation and anything else they can think of

If you ever talk to your dealer just tell them you want mp3 retrofit done or CD-Changer enable. Tell them to do the mp3 retrofit. don't back down and let them talk you out of it. tell them that if it doesn't work no harm done but you want them to try and verify that it won't work. also, simply lie to them.. they lie to us all the time. Tell them that you know someone with your exact same options & build date that it worked just fine for then they'll do it.

PS: Just a CIP upgrade will not give you mp3 compatibility... they actually have to select mp3 on the programming. I ran into this issue myself with a dealer... wanted to get mp3 done and they just updated the CIP so I had to take it in again and they finally figured out how do to the mp3 update.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

Schulrog--

UPDATE: Went to the 2nd dealer today and they performed the mp3 retrofit SIB! Initially, my SA was hesitant stating that it was build dependant and that the SIB was for vehicles built from 09/2005 and beyond, therefore, my car was prior to that and couldn't be done. After more discussion, the SIB states SOP to 09/2005, therefore, my vehicle WAS included. Still not convinced, agreed to have the Tech give it a go. Additionally, he was probing to see if I had an iPod... Probably looking for a way to charge me eh?

Long story short, mp3 CD's now work! Also, came straight home and installed my iPod interface in 10 mins flat and it all works great now! Very psyched that it's all working now!

Thanks again for all the assistance!

Anyone else in this situation, check out SI B65 30 05 that Schulrog has been touting!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by SAP_MAN' post='758183' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:34 PM
Schulrog--

UPDATE: Went to the 2nd dealer today and they performed the mp3 retrofit SIB! Initially, my SA was hesitant stating that it was build dependant and that the SIB was for vehicles built from 09/2005 and beyond, therefore, my car was prior to that and couldn't be done. After more discussion, the SIB states SOP to 09/2005, therefore, my vehicle WAS included. Still not convinced, agreed to have the Tech give it a go. Additionally, he was probing to see if I had an iPod... Probably looking for a way to charge me eh?

Long story short, mp3 CD's now work! Also, came straight home and installed my iPod interface in 10 mins flat and it all works great now! Very psyched that it's all working now!

Anyone else in this situation, check out SI B65 30 05 that Schulrog has been touting!

Glad it all worked out for you
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SAP_MAN' post='758183' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:34 AM
Schulrog--

No Problem at all GLAD TO HEAR IT WORKED!! Yeah if you had mentioned ipod integration he would have charged you. What really annoys me sometimes is people telling what and will not work by reading the BMW documentation like some here have done when I know for a FACT it works lol don't konw if that made sense.. anyway, were you still in warranty?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Members

I brought the SIB for the MP3 to my dealer yesterday, as my warranty runs out on monday. The SA hemmed and hawed, but eventually said he would try. They are also doing a bunch of other items I wanted addressed, like an engine ticking noise at 2500+ RPM, and my Sirius tuner cutting out constantly.

Seems they needed more time, so they still have the car, might get it back today (saturday) otherwise monday. I have the IPOD kit waiting to go in.

Lewis
2005 545i 6speed manual, sapphire black, nav, sport, cold weather, logic7
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='758283' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:35 AM
I brought the SIB for the MP3 to my dealer yesterday, as my warranty runs out on monday. The SA hemmed and hawed, but eventually said he would try. They are also doing a bunch of other items I wanted addressed, like an engine ticking noise at 2500+ RPM, and my Sirius tuner cutting out constantly.

Seems they needed more time, so they still have the car, might get it back today (saturday) otherwise monday. I have the IPOD kit waiting to go in.

Lewis
My '06 530xi is able to play MP3s. Can I assume that I could remove the CDC and install the iPod interface kit myself and it will work without any reprogramming/flashing etc.?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='758283' date='Jan 3 2009, 07:35 AM

Lewis
Good luck with everything... mp3's play fine after they do the retrofit coding and the kit will install in 10 mins. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='758212' date='Jan 3 2009, 03:05 AM
No Problem at all GLAD TO HEAR IT WORKED!! Yeah if you had mentioned ipod integration he would have charged you. What really annoys me sometimes is people telling what and will not work by reading the BMW documentation like some here have done when I know for a FACT it works lol don't konw if that made sense.. anyway, were you still in warranty?
Yes... still in warranty.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='758362' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:35 PM
My '06 530xi is able to play MP3s. Can I assume that I could remove the CDC and install the iPod interface kit myself and it will work without any reprogramming/flashing etc.?

Schulrog can confirm, but the SIB was for start of production (SOP) until 09/2005. My hunch is that after that date, mp3's were already programmed and ready to go. I've seen a lot of other posts here that if your ride alreay plays mp3's, it's really a plug-n-play install (after the removal of the CDC) for the iPod interface with no other programming required.

Quick Reply: HELP: iPod interface install issues...