DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Garage door opener switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Here are some pictures of my installation of my garage door opener.

I was looking for a tactile switch to mount in my roof of my E60 to operate the garage door.
The only switch avalaible was a "SOS" button according to the dealer (27 euro's).

I bought this switch and mounted next to my electronic-roof switch.
Garage door opener switch-knop.jpg

If you press this switch, a mini door opens, and another button is behind it
Garage door opener switch-open.jpg

When you open the overhead compartment, the best is to use a big screwdriver (or a knife)
Garage door opener switch-screw1.jpg
Garage door opener switch-screw2.jpg
Garage door opener switch-screw3.jpg
Garage door opener switch-open3.jpg

You see my normal chaimberlain garage door opener, I opended it, removed the button-plastic, and connected 4 wires, 2 from the switch, and 2 from the LED.

The "SOS" switch what I bougth needed sosme modifications, because there is a mini-PCB inside this switch, and cut som printed wires, you have to know something from electronics if you midify this, because the "SOS" switch led's have a anode (+) and kathode(-) so I connected the led of the original door opener, to the led of the "SOS" switch, the same with the switchcontacts.
as you can see on the picture
Garage door opener switch-achter.jpg

What you see on this picture is dualsides sticky tape to fixate this to the panel
Garage door opener switch-achter1.jpg

The end result:

Now when I press the button, the garage door opens an the led lights up......
Garage door opener switch-druk.jpg
Old 03-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what country you're in but I guess you don't have the SOS switch already installed for the BMW Assist service. Would the rear-view mirror with the homelink transmitter have worked? (I realize you're method is probably less expensive to do.)

Quick question, what do I see to the right of the sunroof switch?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='250101' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:52 AM
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what country you're in but I guess you don't have the SOS switch already installed for the BMW Assist service. Would the rear-view mirror with the homelink transmitter have worked? (I realize you're method is probably less expensive to do.)

Quick question, what do I see to the right of the sunroof switch?

I'm living in the netherlands, and I installed the SOS switch, not BMW.
Of course the homelink would have worked, but it was not my intention to buy a new mirror for 300+ USD

What you see next to the sunroof switch is explained here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=1...t=0#entry250042
Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

Nice install , Great job
Old 03-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Now I see what that thing it. Pretty cool! Nice work!!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

good job man...looks really good....i may consider this....but i think it would be too dificult to install the button in the over head compartment...im afraid i will do it wrong and miss up the car....but the wiring should be easier...how did you install the button...was it already there...or u made a whole..
Old 03-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Members

See next
Attached Thumbnails Garage door opener switch-uitsnede.jpg  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='250196' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:54 PM
good job man...looks really good....i may consider this....but i think it would be too dificult to install the button in the over head compartment...im afraid i will do it wrong and miss up the car....but the wiring should be easier...how did you install the button...was it already there...or u made a whole..
If you mess up you buy a new panel ;-)

There was no hole , I did it myself

Mayby this explains more:

Attachment 16277

What you can do is to drill a line of holes (horizontal) in the middle, so the plastic pops out more easely
Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

thanksssss alot for the reply... you have been very help full...ill have to buy a new grage remote.cause there are two remotes and three cars...soo first ill go look for a remote...i must admit im still abit afraid about the overhead compartment....i will never forgive my self if i screw it up....ehehheh....maybe ill check if the dealer will pop the buton in place.and then i finish of the wiring....but its a greatt idea...thanks...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Good work Saved quite a few $$ (or Euros) with this method and looks OEM to me. And good DIY instructions. More

Quick Reply: Garage door opener switch