5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Garage door opener switch (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/garage-door-opener-switch-23022/)

Justin 03-05-2006 02:54 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of my installation of my garage door opener.

I was looking for a tactile switch to mount in my roof of my E60 to operate the garage door.
The only switch avalaible was a "SOS" button according to the dealer (27 euro's).

I bought this switch and mounted next to my electronic-roof switch.
Attachment 16244

If you press this switch, a mini door opens, and another button is behind it
Attachment 16245

When you open the overhead compartment, the best is to use a big screwdriver (or a knife)
Attachment 16246
Attachment 16247
Attachment 16248
Attachment 16249

You see my normal chaimberlain garage door opener, I opended it, removed the button-plastic, and connected 4 wires, 2 from the switch, and 2 from the LED.

The "SOS" switch what I bougth needed sosme modifications, because there is a mini-PCB inside this switch, and cut som printed wires, you have to know something from electronics if you midify this, because the "SOS" switch led's have a anode (+) and kathode(-) so I connected the led of the original door opener, to the led of the "SOS" switch, the same with the switchcontacts.
as you can see on the picture
Attachment 16250

What you see on this picture is dualsides sticky tape to fixate this to the panel
Attachment 16251

The end result:

Now when I press the button, the garage door opens an the led lights up......
Attachment 16252

Rudy 03-05-2006 05:52 AM

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what country you're in but I guess you don't have the SOS switch already installed for the BMW Assist service. Would the rear-view mirror with the homelink transmitter have worked? (I realize you're method is probably less expensive to do.)

Quick question, what do I see to the right of the sunroof switch?

Justin 03-05-2006 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='250101' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:52 AM
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what country you're in but I guess you don't have the SOS switch already installed for the BMW Assist service. Would the rear-view mirror with the homelink transmitter have worked? (I realize you're method is probably less expensive to do.)

Quick question, what do I see to the right of the sunroof switch?

I'm living in the netherlands, and I installed the SOS switch, not BMW.
Of course the homelink would have worked, but it was not my intention to buy a new mirror for 300+ USD

What you see next to the sunroof switch is explained here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=1...t=0#entry250042

Unlimited 03-05-2006 06:54 AM

Nice install , Great job

Rudy 03-05-2006 07:05 AM

Now I see what that thing it. Pretty cool! Nice work!!

madoon 03-05-2006 09:54 AM

good job man...looks really good....i may consider this....but i think it would be too dificult to install the button in the over head compartment...im afraid i will do it wrong and miss up the car....but the wiring should be easier...how did you install the button...was it already there...or u made a whole..

Justin 03-05-2006 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See next

Justin 03-05-2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by madoon' post='250196' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:54 PM
good job man...looks really good....i may consider this....but i think it would be too dificult to install the button in the over head compartment...im afraid i will do it wrong and miss up the car....but the wiring should be easier...how did you install the button...was it already there...or u made a whole..

If you mess up you buy a new panel ;-)

There was no hole , I did it myself

Mayby this explains more:

Attachment 16277

What you can do is to drill a line of holes (horizontal) in the middle, so the plastic pops out more easely

madoon 03-06-2006 05:18 AM

thanksssss alot for the reply... you have been very help full...ill have to buy a new grage remote.cause there are two remotes and three cars...soo first ill go look for a remote...i must admit im still abit afraid about the overhead compartment....i will never forgive my self if i screw it up....ehehheh....maybe ill check if the dealer will pop the buton in place.and then i finish of the wiring....but its a greatt idea...thanks...

cobradav 03-07-2006 11:31 AM

Good work :thumbsup: Saved quite a few $$ (or Euros) with this method and looks OEM to me. And good DIY instructions. More :thumbsup: