DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Footrest change - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Well, the standard footrest is glued on, so they have to rip it off somehow...
Haha. This is true.

Not having a dremmel handy, what do you think is a good way to get the initial cutting on the right side done? Or maybe I can try a blowdryer to agitate the glue underneath?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The blowdryer is not maybe enough to melt the glue, but it may soften the plastic so that you can bend it and maybe cut it with some strong scissors or a knife. The job gets easier when you get the right folded side cut off and you can get a sharp knife under the footrest to cut the mat off the plastics.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Very nice mod and DIY Antti, great job.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
The blowdryer is not maybe enough to melt the glue, but it may soften the plastic so that you can bend it and maybe cut it with some strong scissors or a knife. The job gets easier when you get the right folded side cut off and you can get a sharp knife under the footrest to cut the mat off the plastics.

Thanks for your input, again. I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Contributors

You're welcome .

Just get strong tools and some time and maybe a beer with you and you'll success .

- Antti -

ps. Thanks John (pjinca)!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530D Touring 2005

I have read that you can install it over the OEM footrest, is it room enough to do that?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Contributors

With the standard footrest, you can not get the upper part of the msport footrest sit properly --> the clip.
And the whole msport footrest would look like it's loose. The left side of the msport footrest would not reach left enough, because both footrests are the same size.... If you understand what I'm saying.

There are some aftermarket footrests that can be mounted on top of the standard footrest. Member Krozi has/had one of those, like he stated on the page one of this thread.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Finally got around to tackling this project this morning. As a disclaimer, this is harder than it should be, and A PAIN IN THE ASS..

Thanks Anzafin for the great DIY. However, I found some differences and thought I would share my experiences.

First, the adhesive used on mine (maybe changed 06 or 07+?) was strips of plastic with an adhesive backing:

Also, on the original footrest, the clip would not come out at all with "wiggling and waggling" as Anza put it

So, I had to take the plastic trim under the steering column halfway off. This requires four screws, two to the left underneath the steering wheel:

Also there are two to the right of the steering wheel, one on the right side on the wall, and one more underneath:

Finally, there is two clips underneath the steering wheel:

After that, I was able to get clearance and pull the clip off to the right, and then out. I also used an all purpose adhesive, called Goop instead of Construction silicon adhesive. My hardware store guy said the construction adhesive was way overkill, and smelt like death. He said it would probably stink out my car for a couple of weeks. This stuff Goop is meant for Ceramic etc so I don't see an issue with it holding.

Here is the finished product:

Thanks again Anzafin, and good luck to whoever wants to tackle this footrest. The change is well worth the trouble
Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Antti, just buy an M already so we can refer to you as Antti M!!
Attached Thumbnails Footrest change - DIY-clara.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Good one FP, too funny!

Quick Reply: Footrest change - DIY