DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Foot well edge protector/trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys... total bmw noob here, just purchased a 06 525i (first car ever ) and i am upgrading the stock hifi sound system by adding a blaupunkt tha 555 and jbl ms8 (shout out to technic for his harness and all the help, tips, and info he has provided.) Anyway, I have been slowly chipping away at this install for the past month or so and I finally have all the wires ready (crimping, soldering, fuses, ground location, wiring path) bought the left trunk panel for cars with the dvd changer in the trunk just so I can have a stealth install and built a mini shelving system so my ms8 and tha555 fit snuggly and happily in that little area.

To the point: I've looked up how to get access to the head unit for connections, I know how to release the little latch to be able to move my back seat and get wires to the trunk but for the life of me cannot find instructions or a how to to remove the little sill/cover thing by the door. I don't really know what it's called which may be the main reason I can't find the DIY but what I am talking about involves numbers 1, 2, 4 and 5 from this realoem link in case that doesnt work: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=51&fg=55

also the right hand side curvy bit here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...45&hg=51&fg=55 on the passenger side since I really don't want to mess with anything more than i have to on the driver's side. There is the middle portion as well that divides the front from the rear and any help with that would be appreciated as well.

I am trying to run the wires underneath the trim/carpet to keep everything looking as stock as possible. I've tried pulling everything out with a little bit of force but I am scared to break something. All I have to show from my efforts are sore fingertips.

Any tips, advice, links, tools needed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took this out a while ago when installing a amp controller... I think I just yanked up on it and then slides towards the front of the car. Just use some more force and don't be afraid. If it does break, a new one is only 10 bucks. GL
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

also if it does break normally its just the holders that are very cheap. Hold and pull upwards.