DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Fixing front cigarette lighter ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any tips on getting my front cigarette lighter back into place?

I was detailing the interior and pushed the lighter a little too much and it fell inside its normal position.

I cant figure out how to get it back into place so it will pop up when I open the cover.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by raleigh29' post='481317' date='Oct 14 2007, 06:25 AM

I was detailing the interior and pushed the lighter a little too much and it fell inside its normal position.

I cant figure out how to get it back into place so it will pop up when I open the cover.
It has various springs/clips - hard to describe but if you can't pull it out, it's possible you've broken it. I removed this from my car along with the ash tray as I fitted an iPod interface/holder - it was a pain to take the cigaratte lighter out and I had to snap / break it to remove it - the first stage of the break was pushing it inwards so it fell flat, which sounds like the stage you've got yours to. When I then forced it back upwards, various bits went "snap/crack".
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Raleigh,

Lift the gear lever gaiter up - it's only plastic clipped in - fingernails usually do the job OK. Otherwise, remove the gear knob with a sharp pull upwards (don't twist), but watch your head as when the knob comes off, it will come off quickly and may hit you!!

You will now see 2 x Torx screws. Undo them.

Pull off the iDrive knob (straight up).

Now the good bit. Get your favourite large screwdriver and lever off the trim panel. The panel is only pushed in, but may be tight, so be careful levering the securing pins. The trim panel, along with the ashtray lid will then slide out after removing the switch plug.

You will see the ashtray/lighter assembly held by 4 screws, 2 are easy to get at, 2 need a short driver bit with a spanner to turn it ( the gap between the screw and the underneath of the centre upright panel is about 1" (2.5cm)).

Unplug the lighter and take the assembly to your bench (or kitchen table, whichever you prefer!) You should then be able to see if there is anything broken or it is just sticking down.

This job will take about 30-40 minutes to do the first time, but when you've done it once, you will be able to get the centre trim out within 5 minutes!!

Good luck

Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='481392' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:18 PM
Raleigh,

Lift the gear lever gaiter up - it's only plastic clipped in - fingernails usually do the job OK. Otherwise, remove the gear knob with a sharp pull upwards (don't twist), but watch your head as when the knob comes off, it will come off quickly and may hit you!!

You will now see 2 x Torx screws. Undo them.

Pull off the iDrive knob (straight up).

Now the good bit. Get your favourite large screwdriver and lever off the trim panel. The panel is only pushed in, but may be tight, so be careful levering the securing pins. The trim panel, along with the ashtray lid will then slide out after removing the switch plug.

You will see the ashtray/lighter assembly held by 4 screws, 2 are easy to get at, 2 need a short driver bit with a spanner to turn it ( the gap between the screw and the underneath of the centre upright panel is about 1" (2.5cm)).

Unplug the lighter and take the assembly to your bench (or kitchen table, whichever you prefer!) You should then be able to see if there is anything broken or it is just sticking down.

This job will take about 30-40 minutes to do the first time, but when you've done it once, you will be able to get the centre trim out within 5 minutes!!

Good luck

Mike
Wow.. Thanks for the info. Looks like a pain
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='481367' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:07 AM
It has various springs/clips - hard to describe but if you can't pull it out, it's possible you've broken it. I removed this from my car along with the ash tray as I fitted an iPod interface/holder - it was a pain to take the cigaratte lighter out and I had to snap / break it to remove it - the first stage of the break was pushing it inwards so it fell flat, which sounds like the stage you've got yours to. When I then forced it back upwards, various bits went "snap/crack".

When it comes to cigarette lighters, breaking them is the best way to go. Im anti smoking and think the idea of smoking inside a BMW is total insanity. Of course if you are addicted to nicotine thats a different story.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Smoke in the car and destroy that nice leather smell. No way. Some of us need the socket for phone chargers, laptop power supplies etc.

(No I don't smoke - in or out of the car. I have enough filthy habits without that one!)

Mike
Old 10-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='485107' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:33 PM
When it comes to cigarette lighters, breaking them is the best way to go. Im anti smoking and think the idea of smoking inside a BMW is total insanity. Of course if you are addicted to nicotine thats a different story.
I'm not a smoker, but I think free will is more important than dictating what other people should do. As long as people don't smoke in MY car, they can do what they want in theirs. Any broken component in a BMW is a crime, and somebody wanting to get it fixed - be it to plug in an iPod or light the biggest fatest cigar in the world - should be allowed to come on here and ask for help !
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 9/2003 E60 520i SE

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='481367' date='Oct 14 2007, 03:07 PM
hi
do you have any pics of your ipod interface/holder? i was thinking of doing the same. would be interested to see how it turned out.

thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by raleigh29' post='481317' date='Oct 14 2007, 07:25 AM

I had similar problem. Spring broke - could pull lighter up by hand. I use it for radar detector. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Except they forgot to plug the menu and voice buttons back in when they replaced the trim, so a return was required. Feh.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d 218ps

just to add that i'm in the middle of replacing /repairing the front ashtray, and its such a b!tch of a job!!!

the trim needs superhuman powered fingers to pry

now i'm faced with finding short screw bit to undo the ashtray.....

why oh why did i break the bloody lighter in the first place...