DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 Rear LED Tail Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='465532' date='Sep 3 2007, 10:05 PM
Excellent brandsb. Let us know your experience - I agree, the fact that they use the specific reference to the lack of an error message is assuring. Plus, the price [even with S+H] is more than comparable. Keep us posted! And make sure you take pix for a nice DIY!
Just received E-bay note from Autohobbyasia that these are backordered and expected in about 2 weeks....
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

you can get the lci lights from any dealer, sometimes there are groupbuys that sell em cheaper, but i dont see any going on right now
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='472085' date='Sep 20 2007, 10:42 AM
you can get the lci lights from any dealer, sometimes there are groupbuys that sell em cheaper, but i dont see any going on right now
Hey all - good to see the conversation picking up!
A word of caution about LCIs -- I do not believe they are backward compatible with pre 2008 BMWs. This is a major topic of discussion on this forum [search for LCI Rear Tail Light]. You cannot simply plug and play as you will get iDrive errors and major issues [the resistors are all different although user Miranda has come up with an inline conversion you could use].
I finally saw the LED look alikes [as above] and I agree -- they are not the same as the LCIs and don't look half as good BUT...they do look better than the stock rears that are on pre-2008 models. The bulbs are brighter and have a cool adaptive effect in terms of braking pressure [the harder you brake, the brighter the bulbs].

Just thought I would throw my two cents in.... I am still waiting on brandsb's experience, install and pix before I take the plunge. BTW brandsb - there are some tricks to the installation I believe [my SA mentioned this to me]. PM or msg me if you have difficulty installing and I'll see what I can dig up....
Old 09-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='472299' date='Sep 20 2007, 04:29 PM
Just thought I would throw my two cents in.... I am still waiting on brandsb's experience, install and pix before I take the plunge. BTW brandsb - there are some tricks to the installation I believe [my SA mentioned this to me]. PM or msg me if you have difficulty installing and I'll see what I can dig up....
Subarashi, I'll let you know when they arrive and would be interested in any installation tips you may have. I've got a heavy travel schedule in October and it may be difficult to maintain real-time feedback on this but we'll eventually get it take care of. BTW, when you say they don't look as good as the LCI's, do you mean in appearance, brightness, function, etc? Just curious as I don't want to reduce the brightness from current for safety reasons.....I'm hoping the smoked effect doesn't neutralize the LED's.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have these for over 6 months and love them.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by brandsb' post='472618' date='Sep 21 2007, 08:42 AM
Subarashi, I'll let you know when they arrive and would be interested in any installation tips you may have. I've got a heavy travel schedule in October and it may be difficult to maintain real-time feedback on this but we'll eventually get it take care of. BTW, when you say they don't look as good as the LCI's, do you mean in appearance, brightness, function, etc? Just curious as I don't want to reduce the brightness from current for safety reasons.....I'm hoping the smoked effect doesn't neutralize the LED's.
Hey brandsb. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - have been offline with work for a few days...
In terms of their appearance and brightness - they ARE brighter and better than the standard OEM pre LCI lights - so you are getting an upgrade.
Insofar as the smoked tint is concerned - I think you'll be ok but it depends on how dark and transparent the tints really are at the end of the day.
They are NOT as bright as the LCIs however.... I think you will like them though. As soon as you get yours in - I want to see the pix so I can
think about doing mine!!!

BTW pinguhk - you have the LEDs above installed? Do you have a DIY with photos to show us how you did it? Any issues with the iDrive in terms of
error messages? Any tips on install - post for all to see.. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='475288' date='Sep 28 2007, 10:55 AM
BTW pinguhk - you have the LEDs above installed? Do you have a DIY with photos to show us how you did it? Any issues with the iDrive in terms of
error messages? Any tips on install - post for all to see.. Thanks!
100% working and no idrive errors messages. Just plug and play.
itis very easy to install.
I diy my no point to let some 1 install them. save your money for a good night dinner.
I will try and post some pics for you this weekend
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Members

Hi All.

so lets get this right. If i purchased some LCI lights for my 2005 535d sports, i would get error messages on the i drive. What is the fix for these. Desperate to buy these lights without any complication. I am one of these guys that has to have something asap so your quick responses might save me alot of money.

Many thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

you wont save money by using real LCI lights, because right now, only Bruce's cable will allow them to work on pre lci cars. You have to pay to play, and its not cheap. So if you want simple LED's get the ebay one. I went with the LCI and Bruces cable
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='488295' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:10 PM
you wont save money by using real LCI lights, because right now, only Bruce's cable will allow them to work on pre lci cars. You have to pay to play, and its not cheap. So if you want simple LED's get the ebay one. I went with the LCI and Bruces cable

Ok. How do i get in touch wothBruce. Sorry i am new to all this. How much is the cable.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: E60 Rear LED Tail Light Mod