DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 Front Bumper change

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put it here ken, with the bits you needed to buy also please.
i have M Sport bumpers on my 535d, and the rear M bumper on my 530d, and i have the front bumper to go on (being painted as we speak)
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Members

OK, here goes,(no photos I'm afraid, but there is a PDF file which helps if I can upload it).
For anyone just picking up the story, I have a 2003 E60 545 SE and I am fitting an M sport front bumper.
The parts guys at BMW are not versed with this kind of request for parts, and of course your own car is meaningless for part numbers. I used as an example an '04 530D with M sport and it was OK. I bought the bumper off Ebay and have no idea what it was off, but I don't think it matters. Just don't try and fit a pukka M5 item, it appears to be wider.
Open the bonnet and remove the trim strip which covers the 5 top retaining screws. You prise it from the back first to make it easier. Use a Torx to remove the screws.
Jack up the front end, just so the tyres clear. With full lock applied, undo the inner plastic wing retaining screws(8mm socket), should be 7 a side, inc the ones either side of the brake cooling duct. Don't go further back than this, no need. The rearmost/ outermost screw at the top is 10mm. Once this is done both sides, prise back the weathershield and wedge it behind the tyre, (on the n/side, use full left lock and vice versa). There are two 8mm screws holding the bumper to the wing, undo these. (Use a long extension, with the ratchet under the bumper level, to make it easier). Do this both sides.
Pull off the lower trims, the ones under the number plate. There is a centre piece and one piece either side. This will also expose your foglights. There are four Torx screws holding the bumper to the bumper support, undo these. Now it gets interesting!
Where the bumper joins to the wing outboard of the headlights, there is a plastic bracket sandwich between the bumper flange and the wing. This bracket also locates in a female part to hold it fore and aft. Ease the bumper outwards and you'll soon see how it works. Once the bumper is freed both sides you can ease it off. The bracket comes off with the bumper. My car has fogs, PDC but no headlight washers, so once freed, the only thing attaching it to the car will be the wiring for these items. The multi plug for the PDC is at the o/s, the left side as you are now looking at it. Undo it and the two foglight connectors, one each side. You should now be holding one SE bumper complete! If not, you've missed a bit. It should take about 40 minutes.
The kidney grilles just pop out, but don't break the plastic retaining lugs. To remove the fogs, you will first have to remove the brake cooling ducts. There is a plastic retaining expanding fastener on top. This can be saved and re-used, although you need new ducts. There are two Torx screws holding each foglight..simple.
Also, the whole PDC loom comes off in one piece; don't touch the individual electrical connectors. The PDC sensors themselves clip in, from the back. To release, simply ease back the two lugs with one hand and gently pull the sensor out. However, there are two plastic retainers on the loom, attaching the loom to the bumper. A pair of long-nose pliers eases these out, and you'll need them intact. Do this with all four sensors and it can go straight into your M sport bumper.
Do not try and re-site the multi plug into it's rectangular "twist and turn" retainer, because if you do it will stop the bumper moving fully back later. And, it won't go on the other way!
The old foglights WILL fit, but you will need a little modification. Buff off the small retaining lug on the bumper between the two foglight mounting holes. Buff of 4mm from the end of the rectangular locating lug on the foglight assembly that is at the opposite end from the mounting holes. Trial fit the fogs and you'll see why the existing holes won't work. Buff the mounting face on the bumper to remove the designated detents for the fasteners...gently and lightly! You can now fit your new foglight trim panels; they just clip in from the front. (Don't worry, I'm doing a full parts list later). Now you can centre the foglight in the trim panel, and when happy, re-drill the plastic to accept the fasteners. Slip them on and fit the fogs. You will need to have a guess at what is straight ahead, as the adjusters are on the wrong side...not a big deal, as a small access hole for a screwdriver can be made in the trim panel if required later. Do make sure the adjusters can move freely though, if required later. At this time you can fit the new lower mesh grill and the two blanks either side. Also the new brake cooling ducts, with the two plastic fixings you saved from the old ducts.
The kidney grilles just pop in.
If your M sport item didn't come with a towing eye cover or headlight washer blanking plates, you'll need to buy and paint these as they are different sizes from the SE items. I had the eye cover but tried to re-use the wash blanks. They are maybe 5-6mm too small, but I have siliconed mine in for the mean time.
Now is the time to fit the two, new metal adaptor brackets. These will support the bumper, just under the number plate. They come with a bit of sponge rubber stuck on. This goes uppermost, but I removed the sponge as it fitted better without it. These fit
in the two centremost holes of the four screws you removed, up into the metal bumper; check the holes in the M sport bumper if in doubt.
Now comes a little more modification, this time to the wing plastic undershields. It is clearer if you look at the attached PDF file, and the golden rule is measure twice, cut once! Also remove too little rather than too much plastic. Why you are doing this is because the M sport bumper curves in more than the SE, and also the bottom outer mounting hole for the shield isn't there. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and it was perfect. The horizontal dust shields which sit either side also need a little cutting.
Now you're ready to re-fit! I managed on my own, but a helper would be a benefit, another set of eyes if nothing else. Offer up the bumper, with the wiring re-connected. Don't refit the plastic wing attachment brackets to the bumper, they have to slide over the rearmost edge of the wing, outboard of the headlight, then the bumper clicks in to place.
The centre section lower mudguard, the bit the OAT probe sits on will stop the bumper moving fully rearwards, so use a screwdriver or similar to push it down so it sits UNDER the mesh grille. Also, make sure the bumper is sitting ON TOP of the two adaptor brackets. It's a good idea to test your fogs and PDC at this stage.
It's a bit of a jigsaw, but it DOES fit, just lots of jiggling. Watch out for the PDC sensors as they are tight against the real metal bumper behind the plastic outer one. Again, the way to fit the wing to bumper joint is to slip the black plastic sandwich plate up inside the wing, clipping it in place, THEN slot the bumper into it, then fit the screws. Fitting it to the bumper first won't work. Finally, locate the top screws first, then snuggle it in, don't be afraid to push a bit. Don't forget the two Torx screws onto the new adaptor brackets.
Any questions, PM me with pleasure, and the result is SOOO worth it!
Here's what you'll need:
Grid B51.11.7.896.586 ?17.30
Grille B51.11.7.897.184 ?14.26
Grille B51.11.7.897.186 ?14.26
Cover B51.11.7.896.603 ?10.43
Cover B51.11.7.896.604 ?10.43
Adaptors(2) B51.11.7.896.611 ?21.40pr
Air duct B51.11.7.896.587 ?17.09
Air duct B51.11.7.896.588 ?17.09
All this, of course, plus VAT.
You will not need to buy any screws or other fixings.
The whole thing , if you have the parts, should take about 3 hours. Good luck!
E60_bumper_etc.pdf
Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Contributors

thanks ken, that was usefull.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW e60 530D
Thanks this is a great post.

Did you use the original plastics from the radiator? if so do you know what the diffrence is on the standard to sport.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by garystubbs' post='842338' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks this is a great post.

Did you use the original plastics from the radiator? if so do you know what the diffrence is on the standard to sport.
Just to tidy this up, no I didn't have to change the rad plastics. I've just bought a rear bumper if anyone has ftted one, some info would be good. If not, I'll do a back bumper post afterwards!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: bmw e60 530dse, full sports grey leather, sat nav, bluetooth, adaptive headlights, adaptive suspension, zenons, chiptuning box, + usual refinements.

Originally Posted by Ken737' post='877025' date='May 13 2009, 05:16 AM
Just to tidy this up, no I didn't have to change the rad plastics. I've just bought a rear bumper if anyone has ftted one, some info would be good. If not, I'll do a back bumper post afterwards!
thanks ken. much obliged.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520i se genuine m sport kit,18" M6 Wheels, reverse camera, lcd headrests,dvd player, multimedia device ,black kidney grills

that should be realy helpfull for tommorow ive just picked up m sport front bumper i have the washer covers and the tow cover but thats it......i dont suppose any one has a pic of the adapters as they may allready be attached to my bumper as it is used and does have a few bits behind the plastics
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
New Members

hi ken where did you get your parts from
thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010

I am sourcing the parts etc for my body shop as my wife had a wee accident that requires replacing much of the front bumper area. Any advice/input appreciated. I have a 2010 BMW 535xiT with PDC

Thanks for this post. I have downloaded and printed out the attachment. It doesn't appear that the complete retrofit kits are available stateside anymore.