DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968turboS
I wish I could say go for it. Transmissions are expensive and I don't want to take the responsibilty of giving advise that could cost someone thousands $$$.
I felt safe using Pentosin ATF. I guess, it all depends on how risk you like to take?
Raj
Raj, IMHO, I think the best fluid for this trans is stuff called Castrol Transmax Z (Synthetic Based). However, it is difficult to get, as it is made in Australia/New Zealand. I am using Pento ATF1 now, and its great. If you read my write up, you can buy Motorcraft Mercon SP, for $4.68, because its the same stuff as OEM. However, Pentosin, and Castrol Transmax Z are legitimate upgrades. Also try going to a local shop to do the change next time, as they were able to suck out 7 liters. Capacity is 9 liters. Either that or do multiple drain and fills to completely flush out the old fluid. I will also change my pan(Filter) next time.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Members

Raj, thanks for writing back.

I ordered the parts already from RMeuropean. I got the pan/filter kit, 7 quarts of ATF and a few spare bolts and mechatronic sleeve/seal as well. I suspect that my ATF's low that leads to hard shifting just 3->4th gear only. I have noticed the problem degrade recently as it takes longer to shift from P to D. "3 seconds".

I bought the car few weeks ago and cleary remember that the tranny shifts great...until I ran into a nice size speed bump.......which may have led to this frustration.

Also, I noticed that there's an oil spot/track under the car "directly underneath the driver's seat". Not sure if that's the location of the ATF Pan? Can you advice.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I'm also a 1st time bimmmer owner. I had a S2000 and that thing was easy to service and was surprised that E60 has less ground clearance than the S2000.

She's grounded for now, Friday I'll tackle this DIY with my friend ( a local tech with a lift) down south philly.

As far as transmission software upgrade? How does that work? Would you agree that my hard shifting symptom is from low ATF?

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spinitch
Did you replace the pan torx bolts as well? SA at my dealer stated they are one time use and should be replaced as well. They're pretty cheap though, around a dollar each and you need 24 of them.
Most torx head bolts made out of aluminum are stretch style and should be replaced. I felt comfortable re-using mine though. The trick is to know when to stop torquing them. Its very easy to over-torque them and snap them in two.
Raj
Old 04-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dailygrind
Raj, thanks for writing back.

I ordered the parts already from RMeuropean. I got the pan/filter kit, 7 quarts of ATF and a few spare bolts and mechatronic sleeve/seal as well. I suspect that my ATF's low that leads to hard shifting just 3->4th gear only. I have noticed the problem degrade recently as it takes longer to shift from P to D. "3 seconds".

I bought the car few weeks ago and cleary remember that the tranny shifts great...until I ran into a nice size speed bump.......which may have led to this frustration.

Also, I noticed that there's an oil spot/track under the car "directly underneath the driver's seat". Not sure if that's the location of the ATF Pan? Can you advice.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I'm also a 1st time bimmmer owner. I had a S2000 and that thing was easy to service and was surprised that E60 has less ground clearance than the S2000.

She's grounded for now, Friday I'll tackle this DIY with my friend ( a local tech with a lift) down south philly.

As far as transmission software upgrade? How does that work? Would you agree that my hard shifting symptom is from low ATF?

Thanks again,

Dave
Dave, its hard to diagnose a problem without the proper tools. If you are losing ATF, it could very well be the cause. Depending on your mileage, it might be a good time to service the transmission anyway. Be careful with the mechatronic sleeve/seal. It's very easy to break the lock. There are instructions on the web on how to change the mechatronic sleeve/seal.
Good luck and feel free to contact me if you run into any other issues.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Members

Raj,

Yeah, the job wasn't easy but everything's changed now. Mechatronic sleeve's changed and the ATF's changed. Put in a new pan. But Sighhh....I'm still bothered by that rough shift from 3rd to 4th gear. It's not going away. This really frustrates me.

I don't know.....I heard about transmission software updates that may fix this problem. This is my first used BMW and the repair bill is beginning to disencourage me from getting another. I love the car, but unfortunately I live in Northern VA where the dealers here are thieves. How much would a transmission software update set me back?

I don't want to rely on the dealers...but I'm having a hard time finding a fair and experienced local shop with the software update capability. Do you have any shop recommendations? I come up to philly once in a while.

BTW....your DIY was killer helpful
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Premium Package

Can you give any tips on replacing the mechatronic sleeve? I'm about to tackle that soon.

Software updates are charged as labor so it depends on how much your local dealer charges. I just recently updated my software and they only charged $165 for an hours worth even though it took all day. It didn't fix my harsh 2-1st downshift though but I have a 530i.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Members

Hi raj,
do u think that it is better to replace the ATF when the car is warmed up after a little drive or we should do it when the car is cold and most of the ATF is inside the pan?by the way how is ur pentosin ATF going?i am scared of using it.i am looking for the shell M1375.4 but it seems it is only sold at the dealer.
regards
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

taking a crack at drain and fill on the 545 this morning. On the V8 you have to remove a heat shield on the passenger side to get to the fill plug. Got 4 quarts out, only got 3 in before fluid started to overflow out of fill plug. changed inclines on the jack, favoring passenger side, tried going through the gears, etc, but can't seem to add any more.

Will try to drive like this for a while and see what happens. RM was out of the pan and filter kit so I am going to do that soon.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Members

Just checking back in, now reaching 80k miles and nearly a year scince changing fluid and filter/pan, trans shifts like it did when I bought it. Great article and information
Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

so far so good. shifting smoother, no hesitation or shuddering kickdown when floored

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill