DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2
That could be just lip service...
I've been friends, since 2nd grade (48 years), with my service tech at the same BMW dealership & I believe him. He said the same as my advisor. Various dealerships' integrity can certainly vary.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by B_Schnell
I did the Trans Pan and fluid replace job months ago and posted earlier in this thread. Happy to say my tranny is doing fine and shifts smoothly. There are at times where the tranny seems to want to find the right gear between 3 and 4th gear going about 40 to 50 MPH in traffic, but not anything I would say is really alarming. I used Pentosin and only replaced about 5 Liters with new oil. I did NOT drive the car for a week or so and then put back on jacks and drain and replace with more new oil like Turbo 968 did. I was just at Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA buying parts and one of the mechanics came out. I asked him about doing the trans job in the E60. I told him i replaced with Pentosin. He shook his head and said they only use the ZF recommended Lifeguard oil AND they save the old oil and replace with the old oil after installing the new pan! Yes that is correct the dealer mechanic says you should use the old oil as to not change the viscocity or chemical composition, age etc otherwise you risk getting slippage in tranny when it shifts through the gears! He says the color or the old oil being black doesn't matter. They replace with the old oil and only add new oil to replace what has leaked out (all over your garage floor) with Lifeguard only.... Has anyone heard this from the dealer? A local Indy also told me that there are 2 schools of thought, those that want to replace with fresh clean oil so less wear on parts and longevity, but then he said then you may risk slippage. In any event it has been over 8K miles or so and my tranny is doing fine even though I replaced with 5 liters of Pentosin. Wonder if any of you guys who replaced ALL the oil are having any slippage problems?

Like I've always said..dealers and their mechanics are disinformed. BMW Lies to them to stay afloat in a bad market. Very tactical. With that said, been driving BMW (many) for over a decade and this E60 has all its maintenance done by me and my brother after warranty... look at the back of the Pentosin container. Look at many online indy sales shops... yes, your dealer is full of **** which isn't abnormal. They're only doing as they're told. Forums are the best place for info.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2
That could be just lip service, from my own experience dealer would put the old ATF back in after sleeve replacement (so did a different dealer on my friend's car). Dealer would charge $25 per unit of ATF (and get this 1-unit is half quart).

Also on old vs new on slippage, ATF is OK but Xfer-case on new BMW Xdrive AWD requires adaptaion after fluid flush (dealer only programming).
Adaption is not programming. And you can reset your adaption in the car if you were so inclined just as you could reset your maintenance and oil interval....or for that matter your Active Steering adjustment.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I replaced my tranny fluid with Pention back at 50k miles so far so good at 80k miles. I did not replace the pan and will do that at 100k miles. My BMW dealer in Boston does reuse the old tranny fluid though.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

I came back to this thread to revive it. Here I thought this would help people in case you're doing a change it's a good price
Oil change kit for 6HP19/21

http://www.thectsc.c...&id=3&parent=10

If you don't feel like reading the entire thread both myself and the threadstarter Turbo968 did our fluid change and then re-did it to get about 85-90% new fluid throughout. We both used Pentosin ATF +1 fluid. I would have to check my log but my car probably had about 95K on it. It's now at almost 129K and haven't had any problems. $300 is worth the piece of mind.

I would definitely drain the oil at about 60K and replace with new fluid but I wouldn't change the pan/filter unless it was leaking. At about 100K-120K I would do a fluid and pan/filter change and continue every 60K miles in the same manner as above. JMO
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

If any dealer reuses old tranny fluid, I would refuse service with them.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If any dealer reuses old tranny fluid, I would refuse service with them.
When my mech sleeve was repaired under CPO warranty they also reused the old fluid and added 1qt of new. I normally get fantastic service and when in doubt it seems like things always go to benefit me so I didn't raise a stink about this one; but I was bummed when I learned I didn't get new fluid.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

I forgot to add this to the thread......so the Pentosin ATF1 was definitely the way to go according to the TIS. At least for the 6HP19Z that is.

Part Number:
83-22-0-142-516 / 83220142516
Manufacturer: PENTOSIN
Applications: BMW
DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill-tranny.jpg

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

these too just incase

I know for a fact redline can be used for high torque situations and Mercon for Economy. Pentosin is fine if you have money

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Remember that all BMW trannys are different. I would not use Redline D4 personally because it could be a costly mistake. I know people that have done it and had to have all fluid vaccumed out and replaced. The filter still had some traces of old oil so they had to replace that too (integrated with the pan) so cost more than the previous and first change.
I suggest for anyone to find their tranny type and use the recommended fluid.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill