DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011 | 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545
I recently did a pan and fluid change for my 6HP26 using the excellent info from this post. I also ordered the mechatronics sleeve, but since it was not leaking, not even a little, I did not replace it. The refill was more difficult than I thought it would be and I ended up spilling about half a liter of the fluid on the floor. A hot exhaust pipe on the V8 runs right by the drain plug and I also got a bit of a burn from it. The car was on jack stands which made the job a lot harder than it would be on a lift. I strongly recommend using a lift for this job if you can borrow one or rent time on one.

Out of curiosity, I broke open the old plastic oil pan to check out the filter. I was surprised at how clean it was, it looked white, like new. Aside from some very fine metal powder on the magnets, the pan & filter were very clean. I drive my car pretty hard at times and expected to see a lot more evidence of it than I did. So, unless you are totally obsessed with tranmission fluid cleanliness, I would suggest that replacing the pan/ filter combo is not terribly important and could probably be skipped.

I also recommend that anyone replacing the pan & filter order at least 5 of the pan bolts. (I think someone else on this board recommended that, but I missed that post until after I had started the job.) I had a few bolts that were a bit corroded, difficult to remove and should have been replaced, but since I doubt I will replace the pan again, I didn't think it was all that important.

How much fluid did you put in before starting the car? The reason why I ask is because my transmission has been leaking fluid slowly through the gasket, I supposed, so using the measuring how much fluid drained method might not be correct for me. Just want to get some ball park figure since I will have to fill it to the max when it gets hot. .
Old 04-30-2011 | 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by lcc014
One question - how do you borrow a lift or rent one ? All the lifts in local garage or dealer are installed into the floor. Are you talking about something else ?

When I change the pan, I will replace all the bolts not just a few, peace of mind.
There is a company here in So Cal that rents space and tools in a garage and they also have a lift. They get around $230 for a full day and prpoportionally less for partial day. Of course I did not mean to rent a lift for use at your own garage!
Old 04-30-2011 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
How much fluid did you put in before starting the car? The reason why I ask is because my transmission has been leaking fluid slowly through the gasket, I supposed, so using the measuring how much fluid drained method might not be correct for me. Just want to get some ball park figure since I will have to fill it to the max when it gets hot. .
It took about three liters to fill it after I put the pan on. Cold, not running. Then I plugged it loosely, started it, ran it through the various possible gears, got back under, unplugged it and filled it again until it started to drain. However, by this time it had heated up beyond the max limit for level check, so I plugged it up again. The damn exhaust pipe was really cooking and this is when I burned my arm on it. It was getting late, so I let it sit overnight and did the final fill and check at around 85 F. It took a total of about 5.2 liters. Getting the fill level right at the right temperature is important and the most difficult part of the job since the trans fluid heats up quickly beyond the max limit. Good luck and be more patient than I was and you probably won't burn yourself.
Old 04-30-2011 | 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the quick reply GWF...need to tackle this project soon. Order the ZF transmission kit already. Stop by local auto store but they didn't have the fluid transfer bottle. Need to find a bigger store somewhere in the Bay Area when I head down there this coming week.

BTW, how did you measure the temp of the trans fluid when refilling?
Old 04-30-2011 | 01:52 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the quick reply GWF...need to tackle this project soon. Order the ZF transmission kit already. Stop by local auto store but they didn't have the fluid transfer bottle. Need to find a bigger store somewhere in the Bay Area when I head down there this coming week.

BTW, how did you measure the temp of the trans fluid when refilling?
My hand, I couldn't avoid it! Seriously, I used an electronic meat thermometer to test water that was 120 F and that is about as hot as your skin can tolerate. I didn't like the idea of using the thermometer directly since I use it is for food. Plus 968turbos said about 5 minutes from cold would be around 85 F and that's what it felt like to me. That is according to the Bentley book, the best temp to test the level. It sure does expand fast after that.
Old 04-30-2011 | 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by gwf545
There is a company here in So Cal that rents space and tools in a garage and they also have a lift. They get around $230 for a full day and prpoportionally less for partial day. Of course I did not mean to rent a lift for use at your own garage!
That is good, wish we have this kind of rental company in Massachusetts
Old 05-01-2011 | 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Where is the best location to put the jack stand at all 4 corners? I was thinking of instead of using jack stand, can I use stack of 2x10, 4 or possibly 5 nailed together, underneath each wheel for stability. Considering the current underneath clearance along with another 6" from 4 pieces of 2x10, I will get around 10 inches of clearance which, I think, is sufficient enough for me to work with.

Any opinion or additional advice guys? Never try to lift a car at all 4 corners before.
Old 05-01-2011 | 12:46 PM
Members

Where is the best location to put the jack stand at all 4 corners? I was thinking of instead of using jack stand, can I use stack of 2x10, 4 or possibly 5 nailed together, underneath each wheel for stability. Considering the current underneath clearance along with another 6" from 4 pieces of 2x10, I will get around 10 inches of clearance which, I think, is sufficient enough for me to work with.

Any opinion or additional advice guys? Never try to lift a car at all 4 corners before.
The problem with this idea is that the car suspension hangs down when you jack it up so you won't get much under the wheels. When you lower it again the suspension will compress. You might get 4" but that's not much.

My plan is to jack under the front jacking points using two trolley jacks, then use a bottle jack under the central jacking point to hold the car whilst I swap the trolley jacks for axle stands. The axle stands will then be on the proper jacking points.

Then repeat at the rear (here you have to use the differential, avoiding the fins).
Old 05-01-2011 | 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JasonH
The problem with this idea is that the car suspension hangs down when you jack it up so you won't get much under the wheels. When you lower it again the suspension will compress. You might get 4" but that's not much.

My plan is to jack under the front jacking points using two trolley jacks, then use a bottle jack under the central jacking point to hold the car whilst I swap the trolley jacks for axle stands. The axle stands will then be on the proper jacking points.

Then repeat at the rear (here you have to use the differential, avoiding the fins).

I first thought about the sagging suspension issue but the logic here is if I parked my car on a flat surface, it has approximately 3 to 4 inch clearance right now. If I jack up the car and put approximately 6 to 8 of wood underneath the tires at al 4 corners, wouldn't this be the same as parking on a flat surface except the surface now is raised up. At least in theory it should work unless gravity is that much more when the car is 6 to 8 inches more off the ground.

BTW, where exactly is a safe point underneath the body of the car for the jack stand? I doubt the current jack points are the safe spot since it seems like it's made out of plastic and the jack stand's tip does not fit into the slot like the jack that comes with the car.

Sorry for asking too many question on the jacking issue alone.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2011 | 01:21 PM
Members

Those plastic jacking points really are the best place. I put a small piece of wood in mine to fill the hole then use a trolley jack. Not totally necessary though.

At the front in the middle theres a cross member, perhaps 36" in from the front bumper it has a big square of plastic on it for lifting the car. The trouble is if you use a trolley jack and the wheels don't roll smoothly the arcing of the jack arm can pull it off the block. It's really meant for a vertical lift when on ramps.

The rear differential casing is the equivalent at the rear, but the solid part not the fins.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill