DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT OF 545I

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I SPORT PACKAGE, 20in MRR GT1 WHEELS /W 245/35 front and 275/30 rear NEXXEN TIRES, 6000k HID BULBS FOR HEADLIGHT AND 7000K BULBS FOR FOG LIGHTS, AFTERMARKET HALO BULBS (WHITE)

my heater doesnt work. only shoots out warm air when its aimed towards the feet. is it a thermostat problem? only found diy's for 530s. help!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

could possibly be a thermostat issue. but you'd also get idrive error msgs stating increased emissions also.

you wouldn't believe how simple it is to replace our thermostat. i just did mine about a month ago and wish i had taken some pics. i had a leak at my temp sensor so i went ahead and replaced my thermostat while i was at it.

there are only three bolts that hold the thermostat housing in place. it is simple to get to. follow your lower radiator hose to the engine. at the end of that hose is the thermostat housing. disconnect a temp sensor and un-clip the hose at the thermostat. remove the 3 bolts and its out.

the thermostat cost $140 at the dealer but you can find it for half that online. good luck
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Members

Yes I replaced mine got the part from pelican parts for $65 It took about I hour and two gallons anti frezze and green came out so green prestone went in-- the thing that annoys me about BMW is... Yes those cool quick disconnects are nice but more plastic that I see cracking in the near future... Seems a waste when there is a hose clamp 1 in away just one more spot to fail
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Members

Yes I replaced mine got the part from pelican parts for $65 It took about I hour and two gallons anti frezze and green came out so green prestone went in-- the thing that annoys me about BMW is... Yes those cool quick disconnects are nice but more plastic that I see cracking in the near future... Seems a waste when there is a hose clamp 1 in away just one more spot to fail
Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Members

If you are getting heat, it is most likely not a thermostat problem. You can verify very simply. Drive the car until it reaches operating temperature-enough to open the thermostat. turn off the car and raise the hood. compare the temperature of the upper and lower radiator hoses. They should be similar. If one is hot and the other is warm/cool, then the thermostat is stuck closed. If both are hot, the thermostat is working ok mechanically. They can fail electronically though which can be verified by any code scanner
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Members

Sorry forgot to add, you are aware that you can select cold or hot air to blow from the center vents through the i-drive regardless of the set temperature on the control panel? Try changing the settin in the climate section of i drive
Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
could possibly be a thermostat issue. but you'd also get idrive error msgs stating increased emissions also.

you wouldn't believe how simple it is to replace our thermostat. i just did mine about a month ago and wish i had taken some pics. i had a leak at my temp sensor so i went ahead and replaced my thermostat while i was at it.

there are only three bolts that hold the thermostat housing in place. it is simple to get to. follow your lower radiator hose to the engine. at the end of that hose is the thermostat housing. disconnect a temp sensor and un-clip the hose at the thermostat. remove the 3 bolts and its out.

the thermostat cost $140 at the dealer but you can find it for half that online. good luck
I am also having this same problem with the thermostat. And also have this increased emission on idrive. Are you saying that replacing the thermostat will solve the increased emission warning on idrive?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by 2002
I am also having this same problem with the thermostat. And also have this increased emission on idrive. Are you saying that replacing the thermostat will solve the increased emission warning on idrive?
it possibly could. there have been several members here that had the inc. emission warning and when they replaced the thermostat, it solved their problem. try doing a search of "increased emissions" and i'm sure you'll be able to come across a few of these threads.

when you have an engine running hotter than it normally should, sensors will tell the ecu to richen the fuel/air mixture to assist in cooling it down. sensors at the exhaust (on manifold) will sense some fuel coming out of cylinder and warn you of an increase in emission. granted, there may be other factors why you would get an increase emission, this is just one possible solution. good luck and hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

are u sure ur setting are correct?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

You can go to most major auto parts stores and they have a handheld scanner that will read out a faulty thermostat.

Quick Reply: DIY THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT OF 545I