DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: Increased Emission No More!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your posts I learned lots of things about how to deal with the problem on my new car.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Members

Hi.
I have a 05 545i sport and got the check engine light, increased emissions. I diagnosed it and it reads p0507. Idle Air Control defect. Where can I locate the idle air control valve? I want to try cleaning as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by sunny 2005 bmw
I got new CCV form FCP.com and the ones I got look different from the ones on the car now. I called them and the guy did some research called me back saying BMW did a SIB that states the old style CCV is no longer needed. The difference between the old one and new one is the plastic nipple on the end of it. Check out this link below. I checked the part number it is right on realoem.com and pelcanparts.com.

The guy form fcp told me that the pipes that route the air form one ccv to the intake and back to the other ccv is no longer needed. Can someone help me with this has someone replaced this DIY or gotten it replaced by the dealer and did they remove the rubber hoses. Check the link below for the pictures of both. You will see what I am talking about.

Pelican Parts - Error: Page Not Found
Hi everyone!
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem as Sunny 2005. I got the new valve kits, but the new cover is different. It doesn't have the plastic nipple to insert the rubber hose into. Unfortunately, I cracked the old cover while removing so I'm not sure what to do now. Install with the old cracked cover that may leak air/fluid, or use the new cover but plug the rubber hose that has nothing to connect to?

Any suggestions please?
Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Silver_545i
Hi everyone!
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem as Sunny 2005. I got the new valve kits, but the new cover is different. It doesn't have the plastic nipple to insert the rubber hose into. Unfortunately, I cracked the old cover while removing so I'm not sure what to do now. Install with the old cracked cover that may leak air/fluid, or use the new cover but plug the rubber hose that has nothing to connect to?

Any suggestions please?
Thanks!
my 550 has the nipple but no hose connected to it.

i'd guess you could put the new valve in, and just plug the hose.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Hi all!

Well as the title says, I repaired my "increase emissions" code on my V8 which saved me at least $200 from the dealer (i'm sure dealer would of found a boatload of urgent/recommended repairs/codes so it could of easily been more). You would not believe how easy this was, and i will share with you all the quick and simple procedures to rid of this dreaded code, which i've seen sneaked up on some members here recently.

I got my code a month ago and just wanted to be sure it wouldn't pop up again before i posted this. Well, i've driven my '05 545 for 150 miles since this repair (Aug27) and guess what, no codes! So I know I'm safe posting this now. I'm not saying this is a cure all nor might it solve your particular problem (at least I hope it does!) but this is probably the first repair your dealership may attempt in resolving this issue. Keep in mind this repair was done on my V8. I'm guessing it should be a relative repair to you I6's, but may differ in appearance and cost than the v8's. Please research it here: RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog for those with I6's.

Tools needed: Just ONE FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER. Seriously! I even used this to remove the engine cover. haha
Total time doing repair: 30 minutes tops!!

This is the one item (two units) which needed replacing: it's called a "Pressure Regulating Valve - Repair Kit." For you experienced mechanics, it acts like the old PCV (positive crankcase valve) valve in older vehicles. This one's just pricier. BMW Part # 11-12-7-547-058 at approximately $30 each.
[attachment=114841SC01377.JPG]

And this tool is a life saver. It's called "CodeKey." I discovered it at my local Costco Warehouse for less than $40. Not only will this instrument find the trouble code number (which btw is universal to all vehicles built after 1996 regardless of make), but also the description of what this code number stands for. And to top it all off, it will allow you to "turn off" the "Service Engine Soon" light also.
*** Note: Turning off the "Service Engine Light" before the repair is made will only re-illuminate this light even after driving only several miles. Trust me I know. The car's are pretty intelligent like that.
[attachment=114842SC01407.JPG]

Step 1
Remove engine cover with, yes you guessed it: that handy mandy screwdriver. I don't have a Torx set. Don't need one. haha
I don't need to place a pic here now do I?

Step 2
Remove the cylinder head covers. No tools are required to remove these as they are held in by two studs inside of rubber grommets, one forward and the other aft. Just gently tug on these straight outwards and it should pop right out.

Step 3
Passenger side cylinder head. Do you notice the black round plastic piece towards the front of the engine (centered in pic)? Well, that is the Pressure Regulating Valve, held in by six built-in clips. Disconnect the hose and unclip valve with the handy screwdriver (or your fingernails) and pull it out.
[attachment=114840SC01385.JPG]

Pic of driver side
[attachment=114845SC01387.JPG]

What will happen next is the rubber orange valve will remain in orifice with the spring. No worries. Gently pull the orange rubber valve out to expose the spring. (This pic is of the drivers side)
[attachment=114843SC01394.JPG]

Remove old spring. Wipe down chamber with a clean towel. Repeat step on other side cylinder head.
[attachment=114844SC01393.JPG]

Step 4
Reinstallation. Just do it reversed. With a clean orifice, insert spring, then apply orange valve. Just be sure you seat this rubber valve properly in the existing groove. Snap fit the plastic cover (make sure you hear six clicks) and most importantly, don't forget to re-connect hose. Now install the engine covers.
Here you will notice the groove along the outer edge.
[attachment=114847SC01397.JPG]

Step 5
Connecting CodeKey. With key in the ignition, turn to position 2. This position will illuminate the instrument panel but should not start the engine. Do not start the engine. Now insert CodeKey plug into our vehicle OBD II connector. It is located immediately above the trunk open switch. Your CodeKey is now on, press "Ready" and it will begin to search for code (s). Once done, your CodeKey will display the code number and description. WRITE THIS DOWN! for future reference. I was so anxious to get this done, I neglected to log it down and take pics. Sorry! So I'll do my best to try and remember what codes I had. I had five codes, two weren't described (although did have a number), one related to MAF issue, the other two I just could not remember. I believe the MAF code might be related to me removing the charcoal filter. Not sure though, but I went ahead and cleaned my MAF sensor anyway.

I'm guessing the several codes I received were a result of having a bad pressure regulating valve, that somehow they're inter-related/twined. As if to say when one thing goes bad so will others, but those others may not necessarily be at fault. I hope I'm making sense. Anyway, I went ahead and erased all codes. I drove for 50 miles, re-inserted my CodeKey and "No Codes Found" was displayed. SWEET!!

This by the way is what my old pressure regulating valve looked like when removed:
[attachment=114846SC01398.JPG]

Notice how filthy the one on the left looks compared to the one on the right. Not only was it filthy, but there was a tear in the rubber valve!!

Hope this helps!! Any questions? Feel free to pm me anytime. Good Luck!
Great writeup. Could you double check the pictures ? They do not show up anymore
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by lcc014
Great writeup. Could you double check the pictures ? They do not show up anymore
See page 5 post #46
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

See page 5 post #46
Thank you. By the way, the codekey scanner is no longer available in Costco nor in Amazon. So I will buy other brand of scanner.....
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 550i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Spoiler, Tints, NAV, AUX Input, Type 37 M Parallel Rims, Rear Euro Reflectors

The pics were there, before this site got updated a few months ago.

I'll go ahead and re-post the steps along with the pics again, and hope this time it don't get wiped out lol...

Step 1
Remove engine cover with, yes you guessed it: that handy mandy screwdriver. I don't have a Torx set. Don't need one. haha
I don't need to place a pic here now do I?

Step 2
Remove the cylinder head covers. No tools are required to remove these as they are held in by two studs inside of rubber grommets, one forward and the other aft. Just gently tug on these straight outwards and it should pop right out.

Step 3
Passenger side cylinder head. Do you notice the black round plastic piece towards the front of the engine (centered in pic)? Well, that is the Pressure Regulating Valve, held in by six built-in clips. Disconnect the hose and unclip valve with the handy screwdriver (or your fingernails) and pull it out.
Attachment 105419

Pic of driver side
Attachment 105420

What will happen next is the rubber orange valve will remain in orifice with the spring. No worries. Gently pull the orange rubber valve out to expose the spring. (This pic is of the drivers side)
Attachment 105421

Remove old spring. Wipe down chamber with a clean towel. Repeat step on other side cylinder head.
Attachment 105422

Step 4
Reinstallation. Just do it reversed. With a clean orifice, insert spring, then apply orange valve. Just be sure you seat this rubber valve properly in the existing groove. Snap fit the plastic cover (make sure you hear six clicks) and most importantly, don't forget to re-connect hose. Now install the engine covers.
Here you will notice the groove along the outer edge.
Attachment 105417

This by the way is what my old pressure regulating valve looked like when removed:
Attachment 105418

Hope this helps

Great Write Up!

I got the P2187/2189 codes a couple weeks ago and started the research on DIY.

So I take the covers off from my '07 550i and discover - no vacuum hoses to either of the PRV caps! and both of the orange rubber PRV's are splitting!

Am I missing something? Shouldn't there be a vacuum line to both of these caps? I'll research where the other end of those lines should originate, but that side would have to be capped off or there has been a massive vacuum leak for the entire 2 years I've owned the car (bought it from a broker, 3YR-Lease return).

I can plug the nozzles with my fingers and definitely hear a difference - no whistling sound!

Certainly would appreciate any input this great community can offer!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Increased Emission No More!!-photo-4-.jpg   DIY: Increased Emission No More!!-photo-3-.jpg  

Last edited by wedgehead98; 01-09-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by wedgehead98
Great Write Up!

I got the P2187/2189 codes a couple weeks ago and started the research on DIY.

So I take the covers off from my '07 550i and discover - no vacuum hoses to either of the PRV caps! and both of the orange rubber PRV's are splitting!

Am I missing something? Shouldn't there be a vacuum line to both of these caps? I'll research where the other end of those lines should originate, but that side would have to be capped off or there has been a massive vacuum leak for the entire 2 years I've owned the car (bought it from a broker, 3YR-Lease return).

I can plug the nozzles with my fingers and definitely hear a difference - no whistling sound!

Certainly would appreciate any input this great community can offer!
I'm not sure as to why BMW altered the caps. Maybe calling your local BMW SA for some answers might help. Both my caps have the hoses joining to a T fitting that leads directly into the intake tube immediately ahead of the throttle body. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Increased Emission No More!!-2013-01-10-11.06.30-1.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 550i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Spoiler, Tints, NAV, AUX Input, Type 37 M Parallel Rims, Rear Euro Reflectors

I'm not sure as to why BMW altered the caps. Maybe calling your local BMW SA for some answers might help. Both my caps have the hoses joining to a T fitting that leads directly into the intake tube immediately ahead of the throttle body. Hope this helps
Poor design, if you ask me. Fallible rubber membrane exposed to ambient air with a pressure differential across the membrane. At least plug the holes to eliminate the differential!

From what I can tell BMW made this change in 2005 or 2006.

Thank you for replying and for the DIY!

John

Quick Reply: DIY: Increased Emission No More!!