DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Electric sunblind retrofit Pre-LCI

Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by cristivw View Post
Whoa! This retrofit killed me for the past year. Seems I couldn't get this module's pinout right, because I had the "standard" one instead. Got the module from scrapyard, but the connector is different from the standard one.
Any help with the pinnout for this little bugger? Pin numbers & colours, please?
Any help with the pinnout, please?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i
Default Help...

Originally Posted by ViperRunner View Post
Just to update that it's everything working now, it was as i said before.. i had one of the plugs missing! In your pictures i can now see the missing plug and i didn't find it on mine so i made the error of thinking that the pins you refered where the existent one's.

Your DIY is perfect.. the error was mine.. will post only the pic i took to help me, that in the end was as good as the one you already had here and the complete diagram.

To whoever is reading this and is planning to do the retrofit. You need to have the plug in the red rectangle. If you only have the plugs in the blue rectangle then you're out of luck and you will have to arrange for one center console that also has the other plug.

Best regards and thanks everyone!
Sorry folks, digging this thread from the past! Thanks for the write up 545iMike!

Hi ViperRunner, I am in the process of completing this retrofit and just like you, I don't have the third plug (the plug in the red rectangle) on my current SZM module. How did you go about sourcing the replacement module - did you look for anything specific - (apart form the buttons and the plug, of course)? Did you have to source power to go into this module's plug and if so, from where did you tap into this? Did you have to code anything?

Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw e60 528i 2010

Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I did mine last year, I brought the complete alcantara interior from a salvaged m5 installed all the pieces , ie pillars front middle and rear , mirrors, headliner and parcel shelf, I did not want to rewire and purchase the center console as all the interior pieces cost me 1100 dollars. So what it did was I got a e 39 blind switch, yeah the large one and I placed it in the center armrest console at the rear seats vents , there is a punch out that that the switch fits right in. I do have to reach behind to raise and lower 1 push up 1 push down but it's perfect and the alcantara looks awesome. I can take pics if anyone is interested in my mod
Hello. Can you tell me if the E39 switch is still working on your sunblind? I want to install one on e60 528i 2010 LCI (dtc buttom) not Pre-LCI. It seems nobody could install it directly to LCI. I have been thinking to use an aftermarket switch just to go up and down.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530D

Originally Posted by ViperRunner View Post
Just to update that it's everything working now, it was as i said before.. i had one of the plugs missing! In your pictures i can now see the missing plug and i didn't find it on mine so i made the error of thinking that the pins you refered where the existent one's.

Your DIY is perfect.. the error was mine.. will post only the pic i took to help me, that in the end was as good as the one you already had here and the complete diagram.

To whoever is reading this and is planning to do the retrofit. You need to have the plug in the red rectangle. If you only have the plugs in the blue rectangle then you're out of luck and you will have to arrange for one center console that also has the other plug.

Best regards and thanks everyone!
Hello ViperRunner,

i'm currently in the same situation you were. My centre console module only has two connectors...

So if I understand correctly I will have to get a module with three connections available. What cables do I connect on the new conector afterwards apart from the two from the rear blind? Power and ground? Where is the best place to get those ones from?

Thank you