DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 Rear Seat Heat Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I hope to be installing this myself soon, this is an outstanding DIY and extremely detailed! Beware the two clips on the wood trim panel that house the power adaptors are only available as a complete assy with the cover. I damaged one of the clips and simply thought I could just go by a new one, wrong! I've searched everywhere and eventually was able to straighten the one clip that was damaged and reuse it. If anyone finds this clip out there please post on here.

After reading your tip today I was extra careful taking apart my rear vent again this afternoon - thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

How did I miss this NoQuarter....Excellent write-up. I have to add this to my to-dos.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by Georgieb
How did I miss this NoQuarter....Excellent write-up. I have to add this to my to-dos.

Thanks. I'll add that after living with it this winter it was worth it. The seats heated up nicely and the switches look like they belong there.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Bump - Fall is coming and winter is next. Heat those seats!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Love it. Thanks for the write up!!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GoRavens
Love it. Thanks for the write up!!
Glad to hear it. This might become an annual winter thread revival!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Amazing write up. I want to do this now.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Members

NoQuater has inspired me to take on this project. I have ordered the parts and hope to complete in the next two-weeks. I plan on videotaping the entire project. After which I will compile (to delete all the mistakes!) and publish on YouTube and I will post a link here. My hope is the video will build upon NoQuarters incredibly detailed instructions.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

please and thx u")
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Members

Default Video of seat install based on NoQuarters DIY

First, I want to thank NoQuarter who posted a step-by-step instructions in the 5Series.net forum. If not for him, I probably would not have taken on this project.

Second, and most important, I would like to thank my daughters who helped with the project by videotaping certain segments, helping with zip-ties, getting supplies (coffee was a must!), cleaning and conditioning the leather, and other tasks. Their help was greatly appreciated! Of course, they were the beneficiary of this project and was part of their Christmas gift.

Facts:

1) Cost -- about $225 (include seat heaters, sip ties, electrical supplies, shrink wrap, etc.

2) Vehicle -- 2004 BMW E60(M54) with over 109,000 miles.

3) Tools -- Pliers, socket, star bits, electrical connectors, zip ties (lots), shrink wrap, soldering gun and solder, pliers, caulking (clear), razors, screw drivers (flat and Phillips), add a circuit (from local auto supply store), etc.

4) Seat heaters -- I bought my WarmSeat brand seat heaters from Jeggs.com because of price. I chose WarmSeats because of size, and the fact they were waterproof. Not that water spilled in the back seat on leather would easily make its way through before I cleaned up the spill, but you never know!
(Warmseats WSHW Warmseats Universal Fit Seat Heaters)

5) Time -- about 10-hours. I spent four-days on this project. Would work 2-3 hours here and there, etc.

I hope this project helps you complete yours. Any feedback is appreciated. I know my soldering may not be the fanciest, some of the video may be 'jumpy', and my choice of background music may drive you nuts, but hey, you get to see what I did right, what I did wrong, and improve upon it for your project.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a mechanic, electrician, or videographer. I am a DYI'er like many of you and I decided to video tape a project and post it on YouTube to help others.

Finally, I have benefited greatly from watching others DIY video projects and thought it was time to pay back the community.

Let me know if you have any questions.

YouTube Video Links

Part 1:

Part 2: BMW E60 Rear Seat Heater Install Part 2 of 3 - The Seat Back - YouTube

Part 3:

Quick Reply: DIY: E60 Rear Seat Heat Retrofit