DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 DMTL pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010
Default DIY: E60 DMTL pump replacement

This is DIY guide to replace DMTL pump on BMW E60. Unfortunately I had limited time to complete the job so I haven’t taken pictures of every step. Pictures below show how I have done it on my wife’s 2009 550i. Common symptoms: check engine light on, 2A17 error code in DIS/INPA.
Here is what you will need to get the job done:
Evaporative System Leak Diagnosis Pump OEM made by Bosch p/n: 16137193479
Tools to remove T25, 8mm, 10mm nuts/bolts/screws
Jack lift and safety measures of your choice
1. DMTL pump is located in passenger rear wheel well.
2. Jack up the car and remove right rear wheel. As always use safety precautions.
3. Remove the wheel well liner. This step is very easy. You just have to remove several 8mm and 10mm nuts and bolts/screws . There is a mud flap facing the front end you have to remove as well as it is attached to liner (3 8mm screws on the bottom of the vehicle).
4. Disconnect electrical cable harness – orange arrow. I believe it has release pins on sides.
5. Release white hose from the white clamp – purple arrow. You will need extra room to remove screw #3.
6. DMTL pump is mounted to the bracket that holds it with 3 screws (T25) and is connected to charcoal canister. Remove 3 screws labeled 1, 2, 3 and disconnect it from the charcoal canister. The picture shows DMTL pump after it has been removed. Blue arrows show where DMTL pump connects to the charcoal canister.

7. Remove black hose by pressing the release pin and slide it out - yellow arrow.
8. Remove the rubber grommet from the old DMTL pump.

9. If need to, clean the grommet with wet towel, it is probably a good idea to purchase a new grommet, but the store I have ordered my DMTL pump from did not carry them.
10. Install the grommet on the new pump and follow steps 7 through 2 in reverse.
11. I’ve used DIS software to run functional test and then erased error code. If you don’t have DIS you can simply erase the code.

Last edited by tpaxadpom; 04-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Excellent post! Thank you! I may need to do this soon. What were your symptoms (codes) that lead to the replacement?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Members

The only symptoms were the ones I listed: Common symptoms: check engine light on, 2A17 error code in DIS/INPA. Per manual CEL(check engine light) means high emissions. Initially after I cleared the error the problem wouldn't surface for several months. It got worse over time where it will come back on the second day.
Here is my original post about this problem: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...xadpom-125517/
I hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Thank you again for the DIY! I replaced the DMTL Pump this past weekend. Your step by step instructions were spot on. While I was at it, I replaced the gas cap and the PCV Valves. Now I just need to get the code rest and hope nothing else comes up.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Members

I am glad it was helpful. I knew someone will need this sooner or later.
I believe dmtl pump is a weak spot of all beemers. I think it is the same pump that is being used in all models starting with 2001. The failure rate is quite high based on amount of complains in online forums. Though replacement is quite simple.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi on Black 20's

I read somewhere that I may have the 2A17 DMTL code because sometimes I fill my gas tank while the car is running...

Does that sound legit?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 95,000
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I know this old thread, but I hope tpaxadpom might still be around...

Swapped out my old pump with a brand new one and now I am getting the gas cap warning light and then the engine light with the same old code of 2A17, though far more frequently than before I swapped. I feel my issue might be when re-installing at Step #5...Felt like this hose was a bit tight to get off, but upon re installation I can't seem to get it to 'click' in place and I can just slide it off fairly easy. suggestions??
Thanks!

Last edited by donnyriz; 10-19-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donnyriz
I know this old thread, but I hope tpaxadpom might still be around...

Swapped out my old pump with a brand new one and now I am getting the gas cap warning light and then the engine light with the same old code of 2A17, though far more frequently than before I swapped. I feel my issue might be when re-installing at Step #5...Felt like this hose was a bit tight to get off, but upon re installation I can't seem to get it to 'click' in place and I can just slide it off fairly easy. suggestions??
Thanks!
I just noticed your post. I would run a test using Rheingold or DIS. If it fails every time then it is likely the assembly problem. Does your gas cap look ok?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Default 07 550i

I have a 07 550i I haven had that issue yet. Worried to know that job was done on a 09 550i..

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom
This is DIY guide to replace DMTL pump on BMW E60. Unfortunately I had limited time to complete the job so I haven’t taken pictures of every step. Pictures below show how I have done it on my wife’s 2009 550i. Common symptoms: check engine light on, 2A17 error code in DIS/INPA.
Here is what you will need to get the job done:
Evaporative System Leak Diagnosis Pump OEM made by Bosch p/n: 16137193479
Tools to remove T25, 8mm, 10mm nuts/bolts/screws
Jack lift and safety measures of your choice
1. DMTL pump is located in passenger rear wheel well.
2. Jack up the car and remove right rear wheel. As always use safety precautions.
3. Remove the wheel well liner. This step is very easy. You just have to remove several 8mm and 10mm nuts and bolts/screws . There is a mud flap facing the front end you have to remove as well as it is attached to liner (3 8mm screws on the bottom of the vehicle).
4. Disconnect electrical cable harness – orange arrow. I believe it has release pins on sides.
5. Release white hose from the white clamp – purple arrow. You will need extra room to remove screw #3.
6. DMTL pump is mounted to the bracket that holds it with 3 screws (T25) and is connected to charcoal canister. Remove 3 screws labeled 1, 2, 3 and disconnect it from the charcoal canister. The picture shows DMTL pump after it has been removed. Blue arrows show where DMTL pump connects to the charcoal canister.

7. Remove black hose by pressing the release pin and slide it out - yellow arrow.
8. Remove the rubber grommet from the old DMTL pump.

9. If need to, clean the grommet with wet towel, it is probably a good idea to purchase a new grommet, but the store I have ordered my DMTL pump from did not carry them.
10. Install the grommet on the new pump and follow steps 7 through 2 in reverse.
11. I’ve used DIS software to run functional test and then erased error code. If you don’t have DIS you can simply erase the code.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by star69me
I have a 07 550i I haven had that issue yet. Worried to know that job was done on a 09 550i..
I also have 2010 550i (manufactured in 2009 like my wife's 09' 550i) and I haven't had this issue. It could have been a bad sensor inside the pump since it always passed the leak test in DIS and only had intermittent failures when driving.

Quick Reply: DIY: E60 DMTL pump replacement