DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 Dashcam/Radar Hardwire guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats
Default DIY: E60 Dashcam/Radar Hardwire guide

In this guide I will show you how to hardwire a dashcam or/and a radar detector into your E60 using the power lead going to the mirror. This is the first DIY guide I have written so please bare with me!

I chose this wire instead of the sunroof power wire because the mirror draws less current than the sunroof and the mirror draws steady current unlike the current peak that happens when you open the sunroof. This wire is also switched so it will only run when the car is on.

Most dash cams run off 5v USB so you will need to purchase some sort of 12v to 5volt DC converter- I got mine off amazon. The one I bought has 2 usb ports coming off it which will allow me to charge my phone if im using navigation on it as well as the dashcam.

If you are wiring in a radar detector, all you will need is the hardwire kit for your detector. Detectors usually will run off of 12v power so you do not need any converter.

What you need:
Here we go!

First you will want to pry the top switch console out using your safe pry tool or your flathead screwdriver, pry near the clips in the picture
Name:  JSbBkY1.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  550.2 KB

Optional: Remove the connectors for the things in the overhead switch panel, here is a picture of the connectors, just remember which color goes into which slot and you should be fine. Do not start the car with the passenger air bag light unplugged because the car will throw an airbag fault. If that happens, plug the light back in and then start the car again
Name:  H1y287F.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  808.5 KB

Next you will want to remove the overhead light cluster, there are two metal tabs holding this in place, just push these tabs in and push down from the top of the cluster. Here is a picture of the tabs.
Name:  oaTBwRG.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  1.25 MB

Now look through the two cavities you opened up and at the front you should see a hole that goes through the headliner for the mirror power wires. Find the harness that goes through that hole and identify the green and yellow wire. This is the wire you will be tapping into for 12 volt power.
Name:  LdsLdd6.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  1.25 MB
Name:  kFj4qdl.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  782.9 KB
Name:  MNoPMPJ.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  2.13 MB

Now use your quicksplice to tap into the green and yellow wire. Make sure to also place the power wire for your accessory (detector or 12v converter) in the splice. Since I was wiring in a 12v to 5v converter, I placed the red wire from that into the splice. I also had to lengthen the wire coming off the converter by using some speaker wire and quick connect plugs
Name:  H7vXNxz.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  1.39 MB

Now we need to ground the accessory so that electricity will properly flow. If you look at the sunroof motor, you will see it is screwed into place using T25 torx screws. These screws make contact to the frame and are suitable to use as a ground. I used the screw on the left edge of the motor because I will be stashing all my wiring on the left side.
Name:  ELhnARk.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  758.8 KB

In the previous picture you can see my ground is connected to the screw using a spade terminal. I used the spade terminal because it is a safe and clean way of connecting things. You can also choose to just wrap the wire around the screw but it can be a fire hazard if a strand of wire comes loose.
Name:  sEYzfHl.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  299.8 KB

This is where you should be at so far:
Name:  uPTNpLB.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  693.5 KB
In that picture you can see my quick connect plugs I used and the 12v to 5v converter. If you are wiring a detector, you would just have your hardwire kit's wires connected to power and ground.

Now plug in your overhead switch panel wires that you might have unplugged. You need to do this if you unplugged them or your car will throw out a bunch of warnings. You do not have to plug the light fixture back in, just the switches, airbag light and SOS light.
Name:  634PHS9.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  872.8 KB
Success! The converter is charging a usb device.

Now you need to tuck your wires away and make everything look pretty.
I pushed the two usb output plugs from my converter out the front of the headliner. Just push down on the headliner at the edge and fish your wire through.
Name:  LW1aHof.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  1.02 MB

I then shoved all my wires into the cavity between the roof and headliner on the left. I also made sure to put electrical tape on all my connections just in case.
Name:  2Mi6k5c.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  941.2 KB

And that's it! Just plug the light fixture back in and the switches and enjoy your hardwired accessory!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:39 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Nice!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I like everything except for the speaker wire. You went to a great deal of trouble to do it right and then skimped out on using properly insulated 16-18 gauge wire.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:22 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by txag_530i
I like everything except for the speaker wire. You went to a great deal of trouble to do it right and then skimped out on using properly insulated 16-18 gauge wire.
Yeah, I thought I had the wires in our closet but ended up not having them. Didn't want to wait more time to get the wires as I was leaving to college the next day and wanted my dashcam wired up before. Any dangers I should be aware of?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by zoppp
Yeah, I thought I had the wires in our closet but ended up not having them. Didn't want to wait more time to get the wires as I was leaving to college the next day and wanted my dashcam wired up before. Any dangers I should be aware of?
THANKS for this write up, just wired up my dashcam, was going to push/hide wiring along windshield and pillar going to the passenger footwell ciggy outlet but thought this would be easier for me, pleasantly surprised the room was sufficient for all my wiring and the ciggy USB converter that came with my Garmin dashcam

And not to worry about your speaker wire should be just fine for the low power application here.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 PM
Probation Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60

Thank you for this amazing guide! Just created the account to say thank you! A lot of karma points for you
The following users liked this post:
zoppp (06-05-2020)