DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: 2004 5 Series Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 7 2005, 01:59 AM
[quote name='xrsxj' date='Sep 6 2005, 09:14 PM']8) Splice the power wire (The wire thats not brown) on the fog lamps with a new wire and tap that wire into the wire we just installed on terminal 85/86 (THE large yellow one that goes to the car, it will make sure we don't have any annoying messages of malfunctions, the other option is to tap one of the wires (explained next step) for the angel eyes, but then when you turn your parking lights on and not your headlights, your headlights will go on.? Which ever you would rather have on wire in (No seperate parking lamps, or no seperate fog lamps) keep in mind if you turn on your foglamps when your parking lamps are on you will turn on your headlamps as well.? Either way you won't get annoying messages.? There are probably other ways to pull it off, but i'll leave that to you guys.

Like I said questions, comments, ideas, email me philip@deenron.com
[snapback]167739[/snapback]

Wouldn't using a power resistor instead of the foglamp or angel eyes do the same thing? The resistor should fool the car into thinking that there is a light bulb there and not give any error messages. They use the same type of setup when changing incandescent bulbs to LED's. Here are some pics:

[snapback]167772[/snapback]
[/quote]
Where can I get the resistor pack? I been searching online with no result, can you point me in the right direction. thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Members

The problem is a little different then that, when the bulbs are started they you would still have to use a relay to get the power to the bulbs, but a resistor pack should work with the consumption problem i kept running into. The relay has to be used because the xenons draw far too much power initially, and they drop down to too little power after that. If you were to, install the relay and use a resistor pack to draw the additional power to make the system think that a halogen bulb is there it will work, the only problem is that you would be draining more power then before you changed to xenons, for me i didn't like this idea as i have installed an aftermarket stereo with amps in the car, and need all the power i can spare. Like i said do what you like to fix the problem, but i did it the only way that i saw working for me. Let me know if it works.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

if your relating the problem to what is commonly used for an e46, the system used on an e46 isn't quite as sophisticated, it tends to look for certain amount of resistance, or a minimum power pull. The e60's check control system checks the curent pull, minimum and maximim, it is pretty restrictive. I'm usin the e46 as an example as i have installed retrofit xenons in a 2000 328Ci, and it hs a tendency to say low beams out, until the xenons are turned on, then the check low beam lights go off. Which points to a resistance based system, with a current flow as a way to double check.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

i also did the same thing...tapping into the power for the angel eyes. however i can't get the lights blown msg to go away. pls help!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Does your angel eyes shut off when you turn the switch all the way to headlamps ON. That is how my lights work, so if you tap into the angel eyes you only turn on the switch one click short.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

no they remain on together with the xenons
Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Does anyone have luck converting to xenon with the factory halogen housing instead of the projector housing? Tried the other instructions but still not working.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by jta00r1' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:45 AM
Where can I get the resistor pack? I been searching online with no result, can you point me in the right direction. thanks

[snapback]167946[/snapback]
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/AUT3157...t.asp#resistor
Old 10-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

Thanks, but a little slow to respond. I already sold my hid kit cause I could'nt get it to work right. Oh well maybe if I get concrete instructions or proof it can be done than I will consider trying again. For now not worth the trouble. Next time will order hid option.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by xrsxj' post='167739' date='Sep 7 2005, 04:14 AM
continuing....

5) Just in case everyone is wondering you can wire the bi-xenons in line with your high beams and they seem to work fine. DOWN SIDE!!!! You must disable your DRL's at the dealer. Other wise the Bixenon Solenoid will DIE. For those of you wanting to wire it in, just tap the green wire that runs right next to a brown wire on the harness we disconnected between the heigh beam and low beam covers, taop in it into the white wire on the hgih beam bulb connector. There are a lot of wires and not alot of space, so be careful and take your time, no harm splicing/taping the wrong wire, no power will come from or go to the other green wire. Although it may set the swivel motor to the side, which would be a bit of a pain.

6) Now that all the headlight is back together lets start to work on the wiring harnesses.

7) For my install, i installed a relay that relayed a direct line from power to the lights, not the best idea in retrospect but it was late and i was tired and not thinking the straightest, the problem was that the initial current draw of the xenon igniters, triggered the circuit malfunc. and the lights were disabled. So you have to install a relay on the LARGE YELLOW WIRE in the wiring harnesses, I won't go into too much detail here, becuase if you don't know how to wire in a relay you shouldn't be messing with a system that works with about 20-25 THOUSAND VOLTS, like i said be careful. The large yellow wire is the power wire for the headlights, cut it and use it as the positive signal (Use the side that goes to the car) and tap the brown wire (the main ground wire) for the - wire. I think those are terminals 85 and 86, by the way i used DPST relays (Dual Pole Single Throw, meaning, power is aplied to terminal 85 and grounded at 86, which triggers terminal 30 to connect to terminal 87a, when power is off its connected to terminal 87) Try to find water proof relays other wise when you wash your car your headlights will stop working. Install a new wire from power to terminal 30, and the other side (the side that goes to the connector) of the large yellow wire connects to terminal 87a. (Do the same on BOTH SIDES)

8) Splice the power wire (The wire thats not brown) on the fog lamps with a new wire and tap that wire into the wire we just installed on terminal 85/86 (THE large yellow one that goes to the car, it will make sure we don't have any annoying messages of malfunctions, the other option is to tap one of the wires (explained next step) for the angel eyes, but then when you turn your parking lights on and not your headlights, your headlights will go on. Which ever you would rather have on wire in (No seperate parking lamps, or no seperate fog lamps) keep in mind if you turn on your foglamps when your parking lamps are on you will turn on your headlamps as well. Either way you won't get annoying messages. There are probably other ways to pull it off, but i'll leave that to you guys.

8) On the passenger side first, you have to locate the top wire on the wiring harness connector and the bottom wire, they should be the wires for the ANGEL EYES, the new Xenon setup uses one bulb and a fiber optic setup to light the angel eyes, the old setup used one small bulb per angel eye ring. So you have to tap the two wires together. Again don't sever either one, for the sake of being able to go back to stock. (Do the same on the Driver Side as well, wire positions will be the same, wire color will be different.)

9) My memory is a bit dim right this second, but that should get everything on with no problems.

10) Email me at philip@deenron.com with any questions, or with any ideas on how to get around the parking lamp, fog lamp work around.

Total Cost of Project (eBay Aholic, i know)

eBay
Driver Side Light (124.99 shipped)
Passenger Side Light (200.00 shipped)
Ballasts/Igniters and Bulbs (280.00 shipped (express shipping))

Harware Store
Butt connectors (5.00)
Splice Connectors (5.00)
Relays (Free (off of a wrecked previous car)) But they would run about 2.50-3.00 at Radio shack
Wire 50' (WAY TOO MUCH) (10.00)
Fuse for power wire (5.00 with holder)

~635.00, judge that against the dealer retrofit kit for 1,900(eBay Euro)-2,300(Dealer Quoted with install)

I think its a reasonable thing to try now.

Like I said questions, comments, ideas, email me philip@deenron.com
Am I missing something I see xenons on sale at HID's 4 U and it seems a straight forward bulb switch with ballasts etc why do you have to remove or loosen headlight etc and splice wiring etc

Quick Reply: DIY: 2004 5 Series Halogen to Xenon Conversion