DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dension install problem and solution - no CDC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drinksjdalot
Hi BlaSTiWi

Thanks for your reply...

Because of your comments I went back to BMW as I said I would. And thanks to you I discovered that there are indeed two MOST ring diagnostic plugs for the E60. One is a blank (which is no use if you want to use it) and the other is "as you described" - a fibre optic link.

I had the blank fitted which caused me all the trouble in the first place... I bought the "active" connector and "hey presto" it works.

Just to try and help anyone else who encounters this I will include a couple of pics of the part required so people know what they are looking for !

The pic below shows the "active" MOST ring connector for an E60 - check you have this one fitted whilst installing the Dension Gateway 500 - if you don't it simply won't work !!!

Attachment 126416

This is a close up of the business end of the connector, note the two shiny fibre optic cable ends in the centre. If like me you can't see them, chances are you have a dummy connector fitted like I did.

Attachment 126417
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Members

Sorry guys. Disregard my last "reply". I am new to the forum as of today. I just bought E60 from a used car dealer and it has the dension installed, however it is doing just as you described. The I-drive shows CD but it is dark, can't click it. My car has a CD changer, and if I flip my switch on the Dension the CD shows up on the idrive and I can click it, then my cd changer will play a cd that is in it, however if I flip the switch (activating the dension/solid blue light) then the "CD" on the idrive goes dark and I can't select.

Where are the car is this torch in the glovebox, or this MOST connector? Can you supply a pic?

I took the car to my local dealer and they service manager recognized the car. He said they tried everything to get that Dension working and couldn't. I even uploaded the latest firmware today to no avail. HELP!

I'm about ready to spent the $240 USD to buy the Aux input from the dealer and scrap the dension.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: F10, pro nav, auto,

Hi camshaft

Sorry to hear you're having problems - I am assuming you are talking about a Dension Gateway 500 with an aux switch, usb port and Ipod connection ???

The MOST connector (fibre optic) I am talking about is in the glovebox on the far right hand side, here is a pic showing the torch and my finger pointing to the small flap (roughly half the size of a cigarette packet directly underneath the torch or torch charging port if you don't have one). It is easier to see if you release the small plastic pins holding the glove box door in position (one either side) - don't worry the glovebox won't fall off... there lots of screws holding it in !

Dension install problem and solution - no CDC-most-flap-location.jpg

As you can see the red arrow points to the circle - this is the torch, and my finger points to the MOST ring diagnostic port flap location - the flap itself isn't really visible in the pic.

From my previous bitter experience, it sounds to me like you have a problem in your fibre optic circuit - nothing major hopefully. With mine it was simply the fact that the circuit wasn't complete - I didn't have a CD changer.

Would you be able to take out the glovebox and possibly the head unit (cd player) and have a look and see how it has been wired ?

Do you have a install guide for the Dension Gateway 500? If not, follow this link ! CLICK ON THE MOST GUIDE LINK ONCE ON THE CORRECT PAGE !

http://www.dension.com/downloads?fie...nstall%20guide

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Allan
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Members

Ok, is your car right or left hand drive? I'm in the US and have a left hand drive. Everything looks backwards in your pic to me :-). Yes I have the Dension 500 you discussed. I will take a look and do some testing as you suggest.

Here is a little more information. After speaking with the dealer he did mention that the previous owner did have the dension working, however after the dealer updated the cars computer it no longer worked. Even the dealer couldn't figure it out from that point on. I wonder if them updating the car's computer made the dension incompatible? This is why I updated the firmware (no joy, as you say). Everything looks to be installed correctly from the installation instructions.

I'll check out the fibre optic idea and report back.

Frustrated.
Chris
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Members

One more question, and perhaps this is more for the dealer. In the install instructions it discussed having the computer programed to work with the Dension 500:

Introduction
Gateway 500 emulates a CD changer and uses CD changer controls to access
offboard audio sources including iPod, USB devices and Dension Gateway
accessories. If your car is not already equipped with a CD changer, it may be
necessary to have the car programmed by your dealer in order to use the
GW500 with it.
Programming the car for GW500

BMW non iDrive-4
If original CD changer fitted and MP3 capability is available: no programming
is required.
If original CD changer fitted and no MP3 capability is available:
a) Retrofit ?KMP3? option with service computer
b) Used in non text capable BMW mode
If original CD changer not fitted or E60 M-ASK used: install GW500 and retrofit
?IPOD? option with service computer

Now the question.....How can I know if my CD changer has "MP3 capability" or not
Also how do I know if M-ASK is used ?......I don't even know what that is.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone here local who is a Dension dealer or knows anything about these units.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

My mistake, I read your original post thinking that you already had the "active" fibre loop and yet didn't get it working. I didn't even realise that BMW did a part that broke the MOST ring. Could it be that the "active" most end is actually two parts and for some reason the front of it has come off on your car?

Also no point in showing people where the diagnostic port is because BMW moved it around atleast thrice on the cars, safe to say look hard inside the glovebox and you will find it. In my car the port has always been just hanging because the port door was never installed on my car from new. You will see an extremely early thread of mine where I was banging my head trying to figure out where that port clipped too and people gave me all sorts of advice but I could never find that door because it never came of my car!

But glad you got there in the end.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Members

WHOA< WHOA WHOA>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Got it working!! I double checked the install again. The ipod connector was plugged into the wrong port, and also the din switch was set up wrong. I changed it to the non text setting(just how I wanted it) and it worked! I just now control it from my click wheel on the ipod. I don't want to control it through the i-drive. Anyhow I think the dealer just messed it up when they were trying to get it working. Thanks for the help!!! Much joy Allan!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Members

Hi Camshaft

First of all, yes my car is a right hand drive so everything will be the other way round !

If you find the fibre optic connector... un-clip the plug from its housing which is connected to the glovebox... once done switch on the ignition and wait 10 seconds, you should be able to see a red light coming from one of the cables - its as clear as a gravy stain on a new white shirt - you can't miss it !!!
If you do have a red light then we're one step closer

Question for you... apart from the CD changer, does your car have BMW sat nav or BMW bluetooth or BMW dvd ???

As for M-ASK, well, M-ASK stands for MMI Audio System controller and is manufactured by Becker (your cd player). This is a limited version of the iDrive computer with a small 6.6" display and is only found on 5, 6 and 7-series, and the X5 or X6, without the navigation option.

In addition it can optionally be ordered in Europe on the 1-series and 3-series as "Business navigation", which has basic navigation abilities. Early versions of the Business navigation could only display directional arrows, but the latest version can also display 2D maps. iDrive Business Navigation uses a different map DVD than iDrive Professional Navigation. In addition because only one optical drive is available you cannot use both navigation and listen to a CD simultaneously.

When iDrive Professional is ordered the M-ASK system is replaced by either the CCC or CIC in addition to a larger display.

iDrive Business is available on the following cars;

iDrive Business Navigation (optional)
1-Series E81/E82/E87/E88
3-Series E90/E91/E92/E93
iDrive Business (default when navigation is not ordered)
5-Series E60/E61
6-Series E63/E64
7-Series E65/E66/E67/E68
7-Series F01/F02
X5 E70
X6 E71

Hope this helps

Allan
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Members

Excellent news Camshaft !

I'm happy for you, brilliant !
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

I am also looking into the Dension as a future project as i miss having a USB connection. (i can play the mp3 on both the CD player and DVD player).

Yesterday i got confirmation i don't have the CD changer prep. Didn't found the wires but i 100% wasn't sure as maybe there where somewhere hidden. But now i am sure sure i don't have the CD changer cables.

Looking around i found nowhere how the put those cables in myself. But i did found how to install the I-pot retrofit. If i am not mistakes, if i would have this cable i could connect the dension to it.
Or can i also use the MOST diagnostic fiber ?

Not sure how to proceed here there is loads of info around to connect the Dension with the CD changer prep or CD changer itself installed but not when the cable isn't there.
Would like to have more info i start this project.

Quick Reply: Dension install problem and solution - no CDC