DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Control/Tension Arm Remove and Replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i

How do you get the ball joint out of the lower control arm! I have been banging on it for over a hour!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by akgolfpro
How do you get the ball joint out of the lower control arm! I have been banging on it for over a hour!!
Spray a lot of penetrating oil and keep using a huge rubber mallet. i dont know if I used a jack on the rotor to raise the suspension? I did loosen both ends of the control arm. did you do that? what finally happened
Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
Spray a lot of penetrating oil and keep using a huge rubber mallet. i dont know if I used a jack on the rotor to raise the suspension? I did loosen both ends of the control arm. did you do that? what finally happened
There is your problem right there. Use a heavy 3 lb metal mallet and it will only take 2 or three hits at the most. Don't worry about damaging it if you are replacing it
Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Quick question for those who used the FCP Groton products, have you guys experienced any problem with it? After reading this thread, I was about to pull the trigger but read in other forums that their products were not very reliable. May be it was just a batch of control arms that they received or something but just want to double check first before proceeding.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Quick question for those who used the FCP Groton products, have you guys experienced any problem with it? After reading this thread, I was about to pull the trigger but read in other forums that their products were not very reliable. May be it was just a batch of control arms that they received or something but just want to double check first before proceeding.

Thanks
You have a choice between FCP and Lemforder(O.E) on their site. I havent had any issues, and in my case specifically my stockers were torn all the way through. What other forums? And like some others said for the money who cares ...break it down for oem parts and dealer install your saving close to 1,000 dollars!

if you have high miles spend a little more for tie rods, the upper strut mount, and even the spring pads. Its that while your there scenario.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Found some complaints about the FCP products when I googled it to see the review. Most complaints were from the 3 series people, none from the e39 or e60 that's why I asked. I also notice several more brands such as Karyn or something like that at the RmEuropean auto parts store. Just want to make sure first before I proceed with the order.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

Just finished doing mine about 30 mins ago. Used Lemfoerder ordered from fcpgroton.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i

I got it out with a hammer and a 3/8 breaker bar with a old socket on the threads to hold it in place while I hit it! When I posted my problem I just wanted to make sure it wasn't threaded on! It just hammered down and out!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

Tension Strut replacement: How do you get the ball joint side past the strut? Does it pivot around? I am confused about what i have read here and plan to do this job this weekend. I took the drivers wheel off this weekend and looked and it does not look lioke there is a lot of room.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Once the front half of the car is on stands or elevated. Take you jack and place it under the rotor, put light pressure under it. Then loosen the strut clamp and move strut upwards by letting down the rotor your jack was supporting. Make sure to mark where it was before very important. Its a PITA but remind yourself your saving money!

I think thats how I did it. Others may chime in

Quick Reply: Control/Tension Arm Remove and Replace