DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Complet audio installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have L7 in my 530, does replacing the Subs with the sws-8 offer improved bass or do I need to add a dedicated amp?
Yes, you do need a new two channel amp rating at about 300 watts RMS.
This will make the bass sound clearer instead of muddy.

To most of members, they're happy with L7, and some don't like you. However, please plan in advanced to see the cost and effort involves.
Please let me know if you have any question.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my530i' post='293504' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:00 AM
Yes, you do need a new two channel amp rating at about 300 watts RMS.
This will make the bass sound clearer instead of muddy.

To most of members, they're happy with L7, and some don't like you. However, please plan in advanced to see the cost and effort involves.
Please let me know if you have any question.
Should be a much easier wiring job if you already have an amp in the trunk. If you have a chance to refer to the WDS you could easily identify the cables you have to reroute. I would assume about 4-6 hours work if you have not done it before and have all information ready.

A good thing is that you might find some chage you have lost when you remove the seats. Got myself a bottle of beer for the money when the job was finished
Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='293948' date='Jun 7 2006, 01:57 PM
Should be a much easier wiring job if you already have an amp in the trunk. If you have a chance to refer to the WDS you could easily identify the cables you have to reroute. I would assume about 4-6 hours work if you have not done it before and have all information ready.

A good thing is that you might find some change you have lost when you remove the seats. Got myself a bottle of beer for the money when the job was finished
Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='294062' date='Jun 7 2006, 05:41 PM

This is great info guys..

I have the standard US audio package (which i believe is the 10 speaker package which includes the 2 subs under the seat...although i dont really believe they are there cause it doesnt sound like it..)

For some reason this system sounds like crap compared to my old stock 325i coupe(it had nav, but NO premium sound..just stock). The mids dont exist and the bass sounds kinda hollow.

So I am assuming that these 10 speakers are already driven by the stock amp correct? Will replacing the standard subs under the seat require a new amp in addition to the stock amp? I assume so... Also an amp with crossover would also be needed right to seperate the low sounds...any good suguesstion on a good but not expensive one?. I have so so many questions so I guess this will suffice for now . Also how difficult to remove the seats(are there instructions anywhere?) and was this upgrade worth it? Any negatives to come out of it, and is there really a good diffrence? This is a lease vehicle as well. Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi 3.0 215 horsepower 185lb/ft torque Monocobleu Metallic paint, on beige interior.. Cold Weather Package... Heated front seats, steering wheel and headlamp washers. Standard 10 speaker soundsystem.

yeah i too would like to know how to remove the seats... also just to clarify, there is a pre amp signal going to the amp in the trunk, which then amplifies the power to the stock subwoofers under the seats... what if i just installed a new amp in the trunk, took the wires coming from the head unit into my new amp, and then from that amp use the EXISTING wires to the subs, so then i would not have to rewire.... isnt that possible? i heard somewhere tho that the connectors on the sws8 subs are different than the stock subs, is this true? someone please help me out....

...my530i pictures of your wiring layout in your trunk will be very helpful!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Connector is different from stock sub, so you can make connector for the sub by buying some connectors from electronic store which fits to SWS-8 sub connector.
Please refer to BMW wiring diagram for wire color. You should have a copy of BMW wiring diagram to mess up with BMW electrical stuffs.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi 3.0 215 horsepower 185lb/ft torque Monocobleu Metallic paint, on beige interior.. Cold Weather Package... Heated front seats, steering wheel and headlamp washers. Standard 10 speaker soundsystem.

are you satisfied with the bass response?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributors

I still miss it
Next plan is replacing underseat sub with SWS-8 for my 550i
Old 01-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

does any one if 10" subwoofer wtih 3.5" mounting depth would fit under the seat rather than SWS-8? also would a 130mm 5.25" mid fit in the front door factory location wthout modification? if so whats the mounting depth that you guys experieced?

Dirk, what size and model of Helix speaker was used for your front door?

tks in advance for the input.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

forgot to mention that I do have Logic 7 on my E60 M5 right now, I just think there are still room for imporvement. is the factory Logic 7 amp powerful enough to power some after market speakres?

Quick Reply: Complet audio installation