DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Complet audio installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

first I would like to say, that this boardis one of the most comprehensive I have found. Hardly comparable to anything what you can find on E60s on Germn forums.

I am thinking on completely reworking the audio system in my 525 without changing the radio. I found two very useful information regarding the underseat subwoofer size and electrical wiring in this board.

My first question is: Does anyboy know other speakers that fit under the seats than the Hertz Space 8. Reason I am asking is because I am looking at more than $600 for one woofer here in Germany and I'll need two!

Second question regards the wiring: I have 'German standard audio' installed which means that I do not have the tiny amplifier in the trunk. The only box that is there is the TCU. Rear speakers are no option either, as they do not receive the full frequency spectrum. I would realy like to get any 'normal level line out' somewhere.

I have been t an audio garage today. Their first guess was easy ... but I ended up with nothing then new rear speakers. BMW in Munich: No real guess without demounting most of the car.

Thanks for any help...
Dirk
Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='274375' date='Apr 26 2006, 01:59 PM
Hi,

first I would like to say, that this boardis one of the most comprehensive I have found. Hardly comparable to anything what you can find on E60s on Germn forums.

I am thinking on completely reworking the audio system in my 525 without changing the radio. I found two very useful information regarding the underseat subwoofer size and electrical wiring in this board.

My first question is: Does anyboy know other speakers that fit under the seats than the Hertz Space 8. Reason I am asking is because I am looking at more than $600 for one woofer here in Germany and I'll need two!

Second question regards the wiring: I have 'German standard audio' installed which means that I do not have the tiny amplifier in the trunk. The only box that is there is the TCU. Rear speakers are no option either, as they do not receive the full frequency spectrum. I would realy like to get any 'normal level line out' somewhere.

I have been t an audio garage today. Their first guess was easy ... but I ended up with nothing then new rear speakers. BMW in Munich: No real guess without demounting most of the car.

Thanks for any help...
Dirk
Dirk,
First of all welcome. Your best option would be to buy an amplifier and use speaker level inputs to connect the speaker wires from current speakers. you could then run speaker wire from the amp to the new speakers. If you are only going to use this for the woofers under your seat, you will need either an amplifier with a built in crossover or an amp plus a crossover to block the high frequencies. The nice thing about this setup is you should have plenty of room behind the panels where the TCU resides to mount the amp and the car battery is in the trunk making wiring of the amp power cable fairly simple. You'll just need to find a way to route the speaker cable to the forward passenger cabin of your car. I dabbled in car audio a bit in high school, so I am no expert, so if anyone wants to add to this feel free.

Good Luck,
Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you look at this thread?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24860

Also, look at this PDF file which has information for output signals grab the output signal and feed it to line-out converter.

For the sub, I use Earthquake SWS-8 which fits perfectly into the sub enclosure under the seats.

Please me know if you have any more question.
E60_DIN_Radio_Rear_View.pdf
Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Thanx for your response. Good to know that the SWS-8 definitely fit.

I am thinking on just replacing the subs. Do you know if I have cables in the trunk that carry the speaker signal, although I do not have the little amp? Otherwise I would have to run cables from the subs to the amp in the trunk and back...

Before my BMW, I was driving a car wit the Mercedes Command Navigation system - no standard line-out, either. I got the signal from inside the system, right before it went to the internal amplifier. This link will give you an impression, what I am talking about:
http://www.eagent.de/privat/braindum...ute/chinch.htm

Has anybody already tried a similar this with the M-ASK? I guess that would be the solution providing the best quality?.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributors

It's not as bad as you might think. Grab input signals of the current sub and run it to the new amp in the trunk and run it back to the new sub. It's the same path anyway.
It's easier than running signal from MAS-K where you have to remove a lot of things out of the way.
If you directly replace with new sub, I don't think it sound any better.

Best Regards
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Contributors

I finished my upgrade yesterday. As I found no option to retrofit the logic7 amp, I bought a clarion amp.

Here is a picture of the work in the trunk. I have the sws-8 under the seats. They fit perfectly - no drilling and every hole of the new speakers can be used. The job took me about 9 hours to finish. I connected the speaker input of the original speakres to the high-level of the new amp (as I has no BMW-fitted amp in the trunk).

Complet audio installation-amp1.jpg

I would had problems if I dind't had or know:
- EBA How to remove the front seats
- EBA How to remove rear seats
- Wiring diagram, which features the cable colors.
- No knowledge on the fuse box.

I connected the amp right after the Fuse F90. The remote wire goes to fuese F80 which is power of the original BMW amp.

I also upgraded the standard speakers in the doors with helix speaker but did not connect them to the new amp. Kind of useful for this job is:
- EBA How to remove front door trims

Now, I am kind of satisfied with the sound. The bass is crisp an clear and does not have a drummin noise under high volume. However, I still disappointed that I could not retrofit the Logic7...
Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Hi Dirk,
The most annoying thing the the remote turn on for OEM amp is always on even you turn off the radio. As long as you insert the key in the ignition, the amp is turn on .
About the SWS-8 subs under seat, I keep recommending it to our E60 members who would like to upgrade to bass. It just fit exactly to the exising sub's housing right out of the box. Even the screw hole location is just exactly fit to the current screw hole.
I found that this 8" sub is wayy more than enough. I never turn the bass to more the 2/3 even using iPod. The good thing about it is the bass is very crisp. Not like L7 drumming noise like you described.
With Mid/high speaker upgrade, the sound is way more crisp. That is what I'm looking for. So far the sound is 90% of what I really expected.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='292243' date='Jun 4 2006, 12:44 PM
I finished my upgrade yesterday. As I found no option to retrofit the logic7 amp, I bought a clarion amp.

Here is a picture of the work in the trunk. I have the sws-8 under the seats. They fit perfectly - no drilling and every hole of the new speakers can be used. The job took me about 9 hours to finish. I connected the speaker input of the original speakres to the high-level of the new amp (as I has no BMW-fitted amp in the trunk).

Attachment 20055

I would had problems if I dind't had or know:
- EBA How to remove the front seats
- EBA How to remove rear seats
- No knowledge on the fuse box.
I connected the amp right after the Fuse F90. The remote wire goes to fuese F80 which is power of the original BMW amp.

I also upgraded the standard speakers in the doors with helix speaker but did not connect them to the new amp. Kind of useful for this job is:
- EBA How to remove front door trims

Now, I am kind of satisfied with the sound. The bass is crisp an clear and does not have a drummin noise under high volume. However, I still disappointed that I could not retrofit the Logic7...
I never cared when others blamed HK L7 I still luv it so I understand you.

But Dirk all my respect for you that is a nice and G job, congrats!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='292360' date='Jun 4 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Dirk,
The most annoying thing the the remote turn on for OEM amp is always on even you turn off the radio. As long as you insert the key in the ignition, the amp is turn on .
About the SWS-8 subs under seat, I keep recommending it to our E60 members who would like to upgrade to bass. It just fit exactly to the exising sub's housing right out of the box. Even the screw hole location is just exactly fit to the current screw hole.
I found that this 8" sub is wayy more than enough. I never turn the bass to more the 2/3 even using iPod. The good thing about it is the bass is very crisp. Not like L7 drumming noise like you described.
With Mid/high speaker upgrade, the sound is way more crisp. That is what I'm looking for. So far the sound is 90% of what I really expected.
By the way - thanks for the info my530i on the sws-8. That was a good choice and pretty good value for the money. I payed 300 EUR for a pair including shipment.

Now, my next task is an upgrade to Navi Professional...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

I already have L7 in my 530, does replacing the Subs with the sws-8 offer improved bass or do I need to add a dedicated amp?

Quick Reply: Complet audio installation