DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Clear coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2006, 530i Monaco Blue/Auburn, Steptronic.

Last Saturday, it was very windy here in NY. One drainpipe fell down from the wall and hit my 5 weeks old baby?s ass. The scratch is about 2 x 3 inch on trunk lid. The clear coating is damage for sure; I?m not sure about the paint. Instead of going to the body shop, need help to figure out how to fix it.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Depending on how bad (deep) the damage is, you might be able to polish it out, or if it's too deep you may need to take it to a body shop. If the damage isn't down to the metal, they may be able to color sand and polish it. Could you post a pic or 2 to give us an idea?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributors

I would take it to a good body shop.

I had a 10" long scratch on my trunk lid (not down to the paint but you could feel it with your fingernail) and the body shop just put on some new clearcoat and buffed it up and I cannot tell it was there.

I had them do this when they installed my M Kit - they did not charge me anything for this extra work so it could not have taken much effort on their part.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='225378' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:34 AM
Depending on how bad (deep) the damage is, you might be able to polish it out, or if it's too deep you may need to take it to a body shop. If the damage isn't down to the metal, they may be able to color sand and polish it. Could you post a pic or 2 to give us an idea?
Hi Stream,

There is no dent, just scratch, but fingertip can feel it. I will post picture later.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the scratch is not too deep, sand it with 1500 grit wet sand paper very slightly. Be careful not too deep because it might sand away clear coat. Once you're done, apply wax on your electric circular polisher and polish those sanded area. You'll see it shine again.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by my530i' post='226591' date='Jan 19 2006, 11:51 AM
If the scratch is not too deep, sand it with 1500 grit wet sand paper very slightly. Be careful not too deep because it might sand away clear coat. Once you're done, apply wax on your electric circular polisher and polish those sanded area. You'll see it shine again.
You're taking a huge risk trying to wet sand yourself, unless you have a lot of experience. Before you know it, you'll be through the clear coat, and then you have a problem.

My advice is try buffing out with hand polish, and if that doesn't work, take it to a high end body shop and ask if they can color sand & polish it.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Members

[/quote]

You're taking a huge risk trying to wet sand yourself, unless you have a lot of experience. Before you know it, you'll be through the clear coat, and then you have a problem.

My advice is try buffing out with hand polish, and if that doesn't work, take it to a high end body shop and ask if they can color sand & polish it.
[/quote]

Hi Stream,

Here is the pic. Sorry for the late?don?t have a chance until now.

Btw, I wouldn?t use sand paper on my baby.

Clear coating-picture_003.jpgClear coating-picture_002.jpg
Old 01-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

[/quote]

Hi Stream,

Here is the pic. Sorry for the late?don?t have a chance until now.

Btw, I wouldn?t use sand paper on my baby.

[/quote]

Looks like it's probably more extensive than you'd be able to polish out on your own--I'd suggest taking it to a body shop or high end detailer and they'll probably be able to color sand & polish it.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1000 for sure!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

as I see the pictures - body shop... they have to spray it a little over and repolish.......

don't do anything to the paint at home like polish or wax or whatever, you will cause more damage!